Differential lock

it was alledged to me today that over the weekend i drove my daf unit with the differential lock on.Employer unhappy and informed agency

Now with all honesty i cannot recall that i did, there was no apparent driviing that was different. no warning on the dashboard, but i could have made a mistake and did but for the life of me i cant think otherwise.

How would i know that i did, i informed my agency that i must have knocked it to the on posistion with my bag as i left the unit.

so can it be known that a unit was driven x amount of miles with the diff on

■■■■■■00:
it was alledged to me today that over the weekend i drove my daf unit with the differential lock on.Employer unhappy and informed agency

Now with all honesty i cannot recall that i did, there was no apparent driviing that was different. no warning on the dashboard, but i could have made a mistake and did but for the life of me i cant think otherwise.

How would i know that i did, i informed my agency that i must have knocked it to the on posistion with my bag as i left the unit.

so can it be known that a unit was driven x amount of miles with the diff on

If you drove with the diff lock on it would have been very hard to turn round corners or make left / right turns

nope none of that occured

There would also be a bright warning light on the dash, usually showing a pic of an axle. Also, as already said, you would most definately know on the first corner you came to, the vehicle would try to maintain a straight course.

Tiger.

A yellow warning should show up when its on. Hard to knock those switches on, but, not impossible.
I

nope that did not happen either,getting to sound like a quiz isnt it,Thing is now that i know that in this certain credit crushing time i can guarantee i wont be offered another place and be thrown off the contract

agency driver to blame…so could somebody else have driven it for yards with it on or as i said did i knock it on as i left and did damage occur

Should have said that if the vehicle had been driven any distance with the diff lock on, scuffing will be apparent on the front tyres (particulary on a dry road).

Tiger.

so there isa chance i did do it

The switch may have been set on when you left the vehicle for whatever reason and it won’;t have actually gone into diff lock until the next driver had got it in gear, released the clutch and started to drive away, then the yellow warning light would’ve come on.
If the yellow light came on as soon as the ign was on or engine started, then you can assume that is was engaged by the previous driver.

sound like that to me dafmad but lifes a ■■■■■ when i gotta be the fall guy

■■■■■■00:
sound like that to me dafmad but lifes a ■■■■■ when i gotta be the fall guy

Explain what I have said, about maybe knocking it on when leaving the cab, and the next driver thinking you had it on. Should be clear enough to anyone who knows what they are on about, should also have been fairly obvious to the next driver too. :slight_smile:

agree dafmad but must be something big due to the company complaining to the agency and the agency ringing me after hours ie 18.50

■■■■■■00:
agree dafmad but must be something big due to the company complaining to the agency and the agency ringing me after hours ie 18.50

If the XF’s the same as the CF, you can’t accidentally knock it on, as the switch has a safety catch, and as has been said, it can’t be engaged untill the vehicle is stopped. A right PIA in my opinion, but should work in your defence, and you would almost certainly have noticed :laughing:

On the XF I drive you have to stop to engage the diff lock,so therefore you know that it is engaged :wink: You can dis-engage it on the move.
If you caught the switch as you left the cab,then I would think it would be the next driver to use the truck who drove it with the difflock engaged.Obviously he didn’t know what the warning light meant

cheers reaultman and highlander it was a cf daf

■■■■■■00:
cheers reaultman and highlander it was a cf daf

You can’t mistakenly put it on, then. There would be a yellow light in your speedo window I think, same one and about the same size, as ‘your wrong ride’ height warning symbol

but 100% no light so the fall guy i am for this one soon see if i dont get a call for work on wednesday so what damage could have been caused a payment for two tyres to the agency

■■■■■■00:
but 100% no light so the fall guy i am for this one soon see if i dont get a call for work on wednesday so what damage could have been caused a payment for two tyres to the agency

More likely the diff’s gone, and some fitter’s said ‘I bet the diver’s been running with his diff lock on’ it would have been whining and notchy on the drive when you got back to the yard, if that were the case though

you would have noticed in the way the cf drives if the diff lock was on,

you cant knock it and if the next driver drove it with the diff lock on then he did the damage and never properly checked it was out.

also sounds like the company are trying to pull a fast one if they agency is having to get 2 new tyres for the truck,.

I drive CF’s all the time and its nigh on impossible to turn on by accident.
and as said before, if you had it on whilst driving you WOULD have known it.
At a loss to guess what happened, unless you have upset one of the drivers and he has taken the opportunity to stir things.