diesel theft

i dont know if this is true or not but i have never heard of it happening before but i suppose its a logical progression.

i was talking to a tramper who was in our place today, a decent fella who didnt seem like he would talk ■■■■ just for the sake of it. he said that monday night he was parked up for the night on the a43, just a couple of miles from the M1 junc. woke up tuesday morning and got out to do his daily checks and another driver came and asked him if he had heard anything during the night, the driver had had his whole 400lt diesel tank nicked off the unit, 3/4 full.

he was still there when a recovery motor turned up to recover the other driver to a garage. The recovery driver said they use a pallet truck, just jack it up under the tank and undo the straps and away they go.

its a fair old weight to be lifting into the back of a van, a 400lt tank full has gotta weigh near 500kilo i reckon

true or not but that would certainly be a shock to wake upto

Diesel will sell easy and the ally tank just as easy for scrap…if it’s true you can bet there are caravan dweller around who may have had a hand in it.

Much easier just to swipe the fuel though - pipe and pump and gone.

My mate had about 100 litres nicked when he was in layby on A5 at Crick the other night.

If he can’t hear a pallet truck being pulled across the tarmac surface then there’s something seriously ■■■■■■■ wrong with his lugholes :open_mouth: . Sounds like a BS tale to me.

brados:
Diesel will sell easy and the ally tank just as easy for scrap…if it’s true you can bet there are caravan dweller around who may have had a hand in it.

Much easier just to swipe the fuel though - pipe and pump and gone.

i dont know how long it would take to empty a tank with a pipe and pump, but surely its even quicker to take the whole tank?? as you say, the tank will be worth a bit in scrap value as well

the firm next to us in goole, Fletchers i think it is, they got done last weekend, 20 000 litres apparently, thats according to my transport superviser

Im with rob on this one, a pallet truck and tarmac makes for a hell of a noise! I sleep well but don.t think id be sleeping through that lol

Rob K:
If he can’t hear a pallet truck being pulled across the tarmac surface then there’s something seriously [zb] wrong with his lugholes :open_mouth: . Sounds like a BS tale to me.

to be fair, i wouldnt hear it, when i am asleep a bomb could go off and it wouldnt shift me. Or maybe he did hear something but thought better of confronting them. no point in ringing the coppers, take them hours to turn up

matt3903:
Im with rob on this one, a pallet truck and tarmac makes for a hell of a noise! I sleep well but don.t think id be sleeping through that lol

Three or four well ‘travelled’ people going equipped? Some ‘material’ purloined from another foray would ease their way somewhat.Use your imagination here,as not all people who read stuff on here are honest lorry drivers :wink: :slight_smile:

I would have to say that with ■■■■■■, nothing would surprise me.

Rob K:
If he can’t hear a pallet truck being pulled across the tarmac surface then there’s something seriously [zb] wrong with his lugholes :open_mouth: . Sounds like a BS tale to me.

+1

That’s to much effort for them to take pinch some fuel.

Nothing impossible but fuel nicked with a high speed pump sounds more simple in less noisy.

We had about 400 litres nicked a couple of weeks ago from our yard , they cut through the fence , removed the anti siphon and then the content of the tank , never heard of the whole tank being nicked but seeing what a job they did on ours it would’nt surprise me. :frowning:

isnt the idea of stealing something is to be as quick as quiet as you can…

pallet trucks and sawing of deisal tanks straps is neither.

jessicas dad:
isnt the idea of stealing something is to be as quick as quiet as you can…

pallet trucks and sawing of deisal tanks straps is neither.

Sawing?? where did that come from :confused:

I have come come across this before though not in a layby,

late 90,s working as a security manager in the midlands, we got a new contract from a haulage company, if i remember right it was swift transport, but don,t quote me, they had been hit over a bank holiday by folk going in and removed several tanks using a forklift lifted them onto a trailer and then nicked the trailer as well… alloy trailer wheels were also a favourite to go missing there as well…

i know the comments about ■■■■■■ but 1 spot i worked diesel was going missing on a reg basis, eventually cctv caught the guy doing it, it was a guy who ran a courier buisness next door and was fueling his vans.

If you ■■■■ the diesel out first there’s little weight in a tank.

dle1uk:
i know the comments about ■■■■■■ but 1 spot i worked diesel was going missing on a reg basis, eventually cctv caught the guy doing it, it was a guy who ran a courier buisness next door and was fueling his vans.

In that case then … :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

■■■■■■ get blamed for lots of things & sometimes (oh alright then) mostly it’s justified. But did you know that diesel theft within the haulage industry is 99% likely to be down to the individual driver?

Your TM knows this chaps.

my mate had his whole diesal tank pinched of the side of his lorry one night in basingstoke on a ind est he was asleep in side at the time and never heard a thing i might add there is nothing wrong with his ears and he is switched on so the people who took it new exactly wot they were doing

As the derv price increases next year, thefts will rise and become more elaborate.