Diesel, LNG, electric or hydrogen powered trucks?

Some of you might have witnessed how the industry has changed over the years, and more importantly in this case, how the engines providing the traction have changed over the years.

From steam power, to natural aspirated diesel engines, to turbo charged and intercooled engines to electric controlled injection systems that lead to the introduction of Euro 1 and upwards (Euro 4 saw the introduction of Ad-Blue systems), we’re now working with Euro 6 engines, with Euro 7 on it’s way… but what comes after that I wonder?

What’s your view on electric, hydrogen or LNG? Is that really what we’ll going to have under the bonnet in a few years time?

I’m currently on my way to Italy, delivering a electric powered Volvo FH (it’s on my lowloader by the way), and I just can’t see it being a proper alternative for the good old diesel engine, I always thought hydrogen was a better alternative, but I’m pretty sure we haven’t seen the last of the diesel engine just yet.

Thoughts anyone?

My money is on the hydrogen,I’d sooner have a horse on cart than electric.

Punchy Dan:

Not a lot of difference between a Foden and a Horse and cart Dan’l so the change won’t affect you too much would it ? Cheers denzil :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Not a lot of difference between a Foden and a Horse and cart Dan’l so the change won’t affect you too much would it ? Cheers denzil :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Very true Denzil both cheap to buy & operate and rarely go wrong so hopefully will still make money with either :wink:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Very true Denzil both cheap to buy & operate and rarely go wrong so hopefully will still make money with either :wink:

No contest! When did you ever get to put Foden droppings round your roses?

Punchy Dan:

Its the Foden brothers all over again…

Are you talking UK or worldwide? If it’s the UK then hydrogen will probably by the motive power of the future unless there is some remarkable breakthrough in the recharge time for electric. The big stumbling block is the amount of electricity you need to produce hydrogen. Up here in Scotland we can probably produce enough non fossil generation to supply our domestic needs but even then it will require a huge investment in, preferably offshore, wind and hydro schemes. I don’t know if you could supply enough electricity in the rest of the UK without running into major planning obstacles though.

dave docwra:

Punchy Dan:

Its the Foden brothers all over again…

:laughing:

Les Sylphides:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Well at least the traffic film remover won’t kill my strawberries :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

Well at least the traffic film remover won’t kill my strawberries :laughing:
[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing:

The costs of diesel fuel and all the stuff needed to clean up the emissions long ago exceeded the fuel consumption advantage over spark ignition and LPG fuelled ICE which also provides the option of LNG or Hydrogen.
Battery electric won’t cut it at 40-44t gross max let alone plus the costs of batteries and 50p kWh to charge them + fuel duty and 20% VAT.

pv83:
Some of you might have witnessed how the industry has changed over the years, and more importantly in this case, how the engines providing the traction have changed over the years.

From steam power, to natural aspirated diesel engines, to turbo charged and intercooled engines to electric controlled injection systems that lead to the introduction of Euro 1 and upwards (Euro 4 saw the introduction of Ad-Blue systems), we’re now working with Euro 6 engines, with Euro 7 on it’s way… but what comes after that I wonder?

What’s your view on electric, hydrogen or LNG? Is that really what we’ll going to have under the bonnet in a few years time?

I’m currently on my way to Italy, delivering a electric powered Volvo FH (it’s on my lowloader by the way), and I just can’t see it being a proper alternative for the good old diesel engine, I always thought hydrogen was a better alternative, but I’m pretty sure we haven’t seen the last of the diesel engine just yet.

Thoughts anyone?

Hydrogen is the way to go. But as stated, there’s a hell of a long way to go before the diesel engine finishes. It is said that there is more oil still in the ground/undiscovered than has been extracted so far, Coal ■■ UK is sitting on the top of 100 years supply of coal.

Dennis Javelin:
Are you talking UK or worldwide? If it’s the UK then hydrogen will probably by the motive power of the future unless there is some remarkable breakthrough in the recharge time for electric. The big stumbling block is the amount of electricity you need to produce hydrogen. Up here in Scotland we can probably produce enough non fossil generation to supply our domestic needs but even then it will require a huge investment in, preferably offshore, wind and hydro schemes. I don’t know if you could supply enough electricity in the rest of the UK without running into major planning obstacles though.

You’re going to need a hell of a lot of electricity generating capacity to recharge the UK’s 30 million cars every 200 miles, and that’s before we get to HGV’s

The National Grid keep offering incentives for people not to use electricity at peak times , does this indicate that we can’t produce enough electricity now so if all vehicles were electric where would we be.

On goods transports…you’re aiming on…we are to early to judge as governments and several (inter-)national facilities have
quite a backlog and they don’t know the outcome themselves…I myself would hould my own breath (investments) till Euro 10?

ERF-Continental:
On goods transports…you’re aiming on…we are to early to judge as governments and several (inter-)national facilities have
quite a backlog and they don’t know the outcome themselves…I myself would hould my own breath (investments) till Euro 10?

Euro 7 is expected to be the last iteration when it’s implemented in 2025, The new Euro 7 emission standards for new heavy duty trucks which will come into effect in July 2027 is expected to be announced next month as to how strict they will be for trucks/buses etc. Daimler trucks has announced an end to development of combustion engines for trucks & zero emission trucks will account for 60% of total sales in 2030, Scania have announced 50% of their truck sales will be battery electric in 2030, MAN aims for 60% of urban & regional trucks & 40% of long haul trucks by 2030, Renault aims to be 35% battery electric by then. dieselnet.com/news/2022/11eu.php
transportenvironment.org/ch … standards/

I think we may be looking at fuel alternatives as we move goods at the moment,
I think the whole industry will change in a very short time & it will be towards
electric vehicles, there will be some that will have to use some form of alternative
possibly hydrogen or even back to LPG.

I can see a lot of inter depot trunking along with local drop off areas, where local vehicles
would complete the delivery could be the norm, trunk vehicles could be hot swapped on
trunk routes, a lot of the warehouses that are used these days have massive roof space
to allow for solar panels, also natural gas generators can be used on site with cleaner
enviromental exhaust output which would take some strain off the grid.

I was watching a video the other day where the truck battery pack could be swapped in
fifteen minutes which could possibly allow trunk vehicles to do return journeys.

Punchy Dan:

My thoughts exactly Dan!

Some 25 years ago when I was training to become a mechanic, hydrogen was already being discussed as an alternative for combustion engines, all of a sudden electric appeared and seems to be pushed by a lot of people these days though…

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

What would your view be on it though Bewick, if you still had a 100+ fleet of trucks? I imagine for a small operator like Dan it would be a right struggle, seeing the work he does in rural areas, but if you had a few just going back and forwards between different depots/RDC’s, would it be an option?

Dennis Javelin:

UK and worldwide, I honestly can only see it work in urban areas, but in more rural areas? How are they supposed to get from one charging point to another in let’s say Australia?

That’s why I’m surprised the big maufacturers didn’t concentrate more on hydrogen, what’s more, some big (car making) names are dropping the subject altogether to solely focus on electric.

cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish … oad/260274