Diary of my ADR course

Seen a few diary’s of peoples workdays, and I have seen a few questions asked about the ADR course, so thought I would try and do a diary of my ADR course.

I am doing the packages and tanks course, 5 days in total with the 21 hour DCPC top up thing, I am doing it with a well known training provider in Manchester whom I have recommended before as I passed my Class 2 and 1 with them.

Today was abit like an overview day, explanations of classes and packages, who regulates what.
Tomorrow is First Aid and packages, I think with a look into classes, then Weds is Classes with Exams Thursday, Tanks and exam Friday with results a month to 6 weeks down the line.

So, course starts at 9am with registration at 8.30am, gets there with time to spare, show both parts my licence and booking invoice, have a brew and chill, there are supposed to be 3 of us, 1 has cancelled and the other is a no show so its just a 1 on 1, happy days.
Started off by going through what ADR is, different classes, marking and colours (and I realise I am ■■■■ at explaining things here already), who or what Dangerous Goods movements are governed by through different modes of transport, A couple of DVD’s were watched (was weird to watch a film with no swearing, ■■■■ or end without a gravy stroke).
Went over what paperwork is required, PPE and the Law aspects, with little Q+A’s at the end of each section,
At the end of the day was a 25 question ‘test’ just to see if I understood what we had been through that day, this does not form any part of a qualification, just to show whether youve understood the days teaching or not.

Obviously more to the course than I have put here, and a ■■■■ sight better explained.
I left with my head in 1 piece and confident for tomorrow, yes there is alot to learn and so far so good.

Hi,
I’m thinking about doing mine, so this is interesting to me.
Thanks for posting and I look forward to tomorrows installment

Owen

Very interesting, looking forward to following you through the course.

B1 GGK:
Seen a few diary’s of peoples workdays, and I have seen a few questions asked about the ADR course, so thought I would try and do a diary of my ADR course.

Hi B1 GGK,

Good luck with your course!!

I’ll be here to help if there’s anything you’re not sure about, so please just ask if you get stuck. :smiley:

dieseldave:

B1 GGK:

Hi B1 GGK,

I’ll be here to help if there’s anything you’re not sure about, so please just ask if you get stuck. :smiley:

Cheers Dave,
What are you doing Thursday :laughing: :laughing:

I think the hardest part so far is interpreting it in a way for me to understand and hold the info.

B1 GGK:

dieseldave:

B1 GGK:

Hi B1 GGK,

Cheers Dave,
What are you doing Thursday :laughing: :laughing:

I think the hardest part so far is interpreting it in a way for me to understand and hold the info.

Hi B1 GGK,
On Thursday, I’ll be away at St John’s completing day #2 of my First-Aid re-qualification course.

I’ll try to help by saying that every question you face WILL be multiple choice, so the correct answer WILL be written right there in front of you.

You don’t have to wonder what you’ll put as an answer because all you’ll do is to put an “X” in a box on your answer sheet. I’ll add that the questions aren’t technical in nature and there won’t be any calculations to perform.

Do they still tell you about the nurse and the oleyum?

mrx:

Hi mrx,

That particular story only features in one approved ADR course that I know of.

The writers of other approved ADR courses don’t include that story.

So the answer to your question will depend on which ADR course that any particular ADR provider chooses to buy and use.

From my experience, approx half of the approved ADR providers in the UK use that course, so it’s really pot luck as to whether a driver gets to hear about it during their course.

mrx:

That story was mentioned in my ADR course back in 2009!

So Day 2.

Went in nice n tidy, firstly a quick overview with a Q+A of what we went through yesterday to see if ive not lost any of the info onto my pillow overnight, then onto First Aid,
This doesnt give me any kind of First Aid qualification but I have an idea what to do should I be put into that situation, after that its onto Fires, causes, risks, prevention and how to tackle a fire and what to use, obviously if the warehouse is on fire I aint gonna be there with the extinguisher out of my cab trying to save the day :laughing:
Again, another Q+A and that was my Core module done.

We then started on packages, at first it seemed confusing but as time and explanations went on things fell into place nicely,
every now and then my instructor will throw in a question from a previous subject weve covered I think just to keep me on my toes, I like it as it breaks it up a little and we are way ahead on time due to it being a 1 on 1.

At the end another Q+A ‘test’ then hometime.
Tomorrow we start on Classes, actually looking forward to this.

Day 3 - Classes.

Start off with a quick Q+A of the previous 2 days, its still in there so alls good.
I got given some homework last night on the Core and Packages, 60 questions, I got 56 right and 4 I was unsure of, in the exams its all multiple choice so I will have the answer there infront of me so was pretty chuffed with my homework.
So we start on the classes and sub classes, it was interesting and some was hard to sink in as parts were Chemistry like, but as the day went on things went in easier, at the end of each class category there were a few Q+A’s which I answered confidently, a good feeling knowing its going in.
Got told the story about Nurse Oleyum :wink:
Tonight is just a case of running through my notes, I was never a great reviser and cant see that changing now so not gonna do my head in with it all.

Tomorrow is exam day :open_mouth: :wink: :slight_smile:

Best of luck tomorrow. My tip … for what it’s worth … go through the questions … if you can’t recognise the answer fairly quickly … leave it … move on … so that you get through ALL the questions … then go back to the ones you have “passed” … then read it and THINK :wink: There are usually 2 wrong answers … 1 “nearly” right answer … and THE right answer … they are NOT trying to trick you … just making sure you understand the rules and what you are supposed to do.
If you get them all done … and you get LOADS of time … sit back for 2 mins to clear your head … then just go back methodically and double check :wink:

It’s not too bad … i’ve done it a couple of times … as i say just read the question SLOWLY. Sounds like you’ve understood :laughing:
Good luck … worst is then waiting to get your certificate in the post :wink:

Good luck tomorrow

Owen

The Rustler:
Best of luck tomorrow. My tip … for what it’s worth … go through the questions … if you can’t recognise the answer fairly quickly … leave it … move on … so that you get through ALL the questions … then go back to the ones you have “passed” … then read it and THINK :wink: There are usually 2 wrong answers … 1 “nearly” right answer … and THE right answer … they are NOT trying to trick you … just making sure you understand the rules and what you are supposed to do.
If you get them all done … and you get LOADS of time … sit back for 2 mins to clear your head … then just go back methodically and double check :wink:

It’s not too bad … i’ve done it a couple of times … as i say just read the question SLOWLY. Sounds like you’ve understood :laughing:

I can’t add to the excellent advice given in this post. :wink:

dpt2011:

mrx:

That story was mentioned in my ADR course back in 2009!

And mine in 1979, 84, 89, 94, 97, 2002!

You did better than me on your 1st day, my head felt like it was going to explode, and only the local alcohol seemed to help :wink:

After the 1st day, it seemed to go in quite easily, but now, over 6mths later and never used it, I can only remember “it’s not your job” bit of the course

The Rustler:

You’re right there, so don’t try and put a fire with an oxidizing agent out with CO2 :blush:

Day 4 - Exam Day.

Tried to read over my notes last night but nothing would go in so left it, woke up this morning and had a browse over the notes while trying to stave off the morn horn of Susanna Reid on the telly :blush:
Gets to the centre, had a brew and was fairly relaxed whilst again browsing my notes,
Exam time, 6 exams in all totalling 120 questions.
After each exam there is a little time to check your notes for the forthcoming exam, so if it hasnt sunk in yet youve got a final hit,
There were 1 or 2 questions I wasnt sure so I left them and came back to them later, some of the questions later on in the paper did help with those I wasnt sure on, and helped me when I had a complete brainfart and couldnt remember what class a paper was on with one of them :blush: :laughing: Once I completed the exam I went through them again just to be sure, and I was fairly confident I had done enough.
The instructor cannot say whether you have passed or failed, but can give a hint so I will give you a hint of how I done …

:grimacing:

Tomorrow is Tankers, Instructor said it is easy and if I dont get 100% in that exam then he will kick me home :smiley:

B1 GGK:
… I had a complete brainfart and couldnt remember what class a paper was on with one of them :blush: :laughing:

Hi B1 GGK,

Hmm… I’m thinking of a nice way to say this…

…if you looked at the title of the exam on the front cover, …

B1 GGK:
Tomorrow is Tankers, Instructor said it is easy and if I dont get 100% in that exam then he will kick me home :smiley:

You’ll get 20 questions.
You get 30 mins to do it.
You need a score of 14 to pass.

I agree with your instructor, the tanker exam is the easiest of the lot. :wink:

So day 5 is here already, Tankers.

Fairly chilled, went through Tankers and what kind of tanks are used, markings and what goes where etc, a couple of videos and then the exam,
As said he cant say whether I have passed or failed but heres my clue :grimacing:

And there you have it,
My DCPC card should be through in the next couple of weeks then the results of my ADR in around 5 weeks.

All in all a good course, overall I enjoyed it and do actually feel like ive learnt something worthwhile even if I never have an ADR job.

B1 GGK:
All in all a good course, overall I enjoyed it and do actually feel like ive learnt something worthwhile even if I never have an ADR job.

Hi B1 GGK,

IMHO, that’s a great way of looking at it…

You’ve got your DCPC sorted, you also have a ‘real’ qualification that’s useful and recognised in the UK and 46 other countries.

You understand the dangers of the nine UN Classes of dangerous goods, so you’re much more savvy if you see any in warehouses etc.

:smiley: