DHL, Scunthorpe

I sent my CV to Bibby’s in Scunthorpe and have been sent an application form back from DHL.

I presume that DHL manage the transport side of things there then?

Also,
What are DHL like to work for?

Hours/shifts/nights away etc?
General working conditions?
Type and condition of wagons/trailers etc?
Management standards, i.e. pro-active and realistic or heads up arse and just looking at furthering there own careers?

Any info and advice would be appreciated, thanks

Be aware of their ZERO hour contract :imp:

PinkLadyTrucker:
Be aware of their ZERO hour contract :imp:

WTF is a zero hour contract?
If it’s what I can surmise then it’s a contract that guarantees you nothing?

ZERO hours contract? I presume you mean that they operate a ‘We’ll employ and pay you when we are busy, but if we are not busy then we wont employ you or pay you’. If so then whats the differance between that and being on an agency.

Do you or have you worked for them Pink LadyTrucker?

also iirc its on the nisa contract :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: good luck with that one.

jessicas dad:
also iirc its on the nisa contract :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: good luck with that one.

Doesnt sound promising by your response, but could you elaborate on the ‘Nisa’ contract as I’m not sure what that entails, :confused:

Hay1908:
ZERO hours contract? I presume you mean that they operate a ‘We’ll employ and pay you when we are busy, but if we are not busy then we wont employ you or pay you’. If so then whats the differance between that and being on an agency.

Do you or have you worked for them Pink LadyTrucker?

Re the 1st part - so correct,

Re 2nd part - When i lived down Huntingdon, The local DHL at Godmanchester was offering just that Zero hour, as you said above just like an agency
It was the transport manager I spoke with (I believe) and I politely said shove it

I presently work for DHL thru a agency, but seems that I may have a hope in hell getting on their books, Two blokes have been there a year or so, and want on their books, but DHL wont commit.
I have stated to one of the trainers that if they continue to behave in such a way that decent drivers will leave and new ones may just think twice about the agency, I know I WILL leave as soon as a full time job comes up, love the work but want the guarantee of a full time contract

Just think of it like this, You wish to get on in life and get a mortgage, no bank will touch you if you cant provide a contract, (well that was my case) thankfully my partner had a contract (not DHL)

Many thanks for that PinkLadyTrucker, really appreciated. Looks like I need to do a bit more digging and pondering. I’m trying to find out what the Nisa contract is. Cheers :smiley:

Hay1908:
Many thanks for that PinkLadyTrucker, really appreciated. Looks like I need to do a bit more digging and pondering. I’m trying to find out what the Nisa contract is. Cheers :smiley:

No probs

NISA is deliveries to small independent stores, Usually Cost Cutters and Nisa Stores, dont let that put you off thou, When I was on it, I was delivering in East Anglia in Artic and London in a rigid, then they moved operations
It will either be cage or pallet work, depending on what you are on, Cages for chill, pallet for frozen and ambient

Good luck

jessicas dad:

Some people don’t mind it some people last a day! I did a few years albeit working for a subby. Hard graft, your reversing will improve, but time flies.

Stevie

Only worked for them ages ago (2005) on rigids when I first passed my class 2. Thats when they were still round at the old place on Foxhills. Absolute bunch of jobsworths in my opinion. Every time I went in there to be ignored at the desk,they’d be threatening all sorts of action against one hapless driver or another. Once a driver had a tacho infringement in so much as he’d driven for 4 hours and 31 minutes and they threatened to sack him as they wheeled him into the back office. Now that sort of carry on my be normal for big companies like that but I couldn’t be doing with it personally. I was only agency with them so they left me alone. They always gave drivers mission impossible. Every time I’d turn up for work there’d be chaos in the office as they’d have to send a car out to meet a driver who’d run out of his 15hr spread on a night shift at Doncaster services etc. They wanted and expected maximum hours, also with lots of hand ball and the like, but if you had the audacity to make a mistake on your tacho, they would not think twice before threatening your livelyhood. Thats no way to be. Again probably normal for a big outfit, and this was in 2005 so probably isn’t relivent now. Especially as that was definetely Bibby, not DHL.

Thank you all for your replies, loads of helpful info for me to form an opinion on the place. Well I’ve completed the form and put it in the post so we will wait and see.

However from the info gleened from helpful forum users and a bit of digging around via google I wont be waiting in excitement on wether or not I get a successful bite and get asked for an interview, I’ve not been to the place nor actually know anyone who works there but if I am succesful and get an interview it will be an interview for both me and them.

Thanks again :smiley:

Hay1908:
Thank you all for your replies, loads of helpful info for me to form an opinion on the place. Well I’ve completed the form and put it in the post so we will wait and see.

However from the info gleened from helpful forum users and a bit of digging around via google I wont be waiting in excitement on wether or not I get a successful bite and get asked for an interview, I’ve not been to the place nor actually know anyone who works there but if I am succesful and get an interview it will be an interview for both me and them.

drivers i have spoke to do london with an artic plus any corner shops on the way, train stations anywhere there’s a poky shop. tackle is all fh xl’s new ones but plenty of handball and sack cart work.

jessicas dad:

Hay1908:

drivers i have spoke to do london with an artic plus any corner shops on the way, train stations anywhere there’s a poky shop. tackle is all fh xl’s new ones but plenty of handball and sack cart work.

Thats what I was hoping it wasnt as I’m not sure I’m into multi-drop in city/town centres as I think its a young mans/womans game, I,ve done it before with Tesco’s running from Kent into London but that was over 14 years ago and didnt mind the sresses of constant inner city driving with hand balling the loads on and off by hand but I’m not sure if its my cup of tea now (scenarios that spring to mind was the threat of things like getting a good pasting from a bunch of hoods cos my fridge was too loud while I was waiting to get into the yard in a residential area of Brixton, mind you it was 2 in the morning!!). I know a jobs a jobs but I will have to dig deep into my motivational bag to go to work each day doing that kind of work, hats off to those that persivere and do it for the longevity. Cheers for the info. :smiley:

I live 5 minutes away from there, the pay for 48 hours is £528 per week plus there is overtime on days off if you want it, cracking new trucks, very good looked after trailers, BUT the job itself is a nightmare, up to eight/nine drops pallets and cages, at corner shops in some very tight places, if you have to park for instance 100 yards away and it is a gentle uphill slope to shop with a 1/2 ton pallet of pop or a cage with bad wheels DO NOT expect any help you will not get it, you also have to pick up rubbish so you are constantly moving pallets etc around in the back, try it through this agency for a few days perhaps, Direct Workforce 01724 854888, 03.00 starts as well, it is a revolving door job and most local drivers stay well clear.

apparently they run brand new XL Globetrotters, or so i read on here somewhere anyway.

A cracking heads up Blunder Man cheers, :smiley:

Defo not my cup of tea, but sounds like a good number for a young guy/girl who is after getting into the business, the pay is not too bad either.

Dont let me put you off, try it through that agency I mentioned, you might love it, some do!, but it is a younger mans job.

i was young and fit when i was doing it, but it’s probably more about technique than brute force, but a bit of strength would be a good idea though. i’ve seen a big youngish fella last a day and worked with couple of small skinny blokes in their 60’s doing it regular.

it’s one of those jobs that would be fine for 6 months, then i’d have a bad day or week and i’d just think why am i messing around like this?

once you’d done most of the drops so you knew where to approach from, an where to park it made life a so much easier.

stevie

stevieboy308:
i was young and fit when i was doing it, but it’s probably more about technique than brute force, but a bit of strength would be a good idea though. i’ve seen a big youngish fella last a day and worked with couple of small skinny blokes in their 60’s doing it regular.

it’s one of those jobs that would be fine for 6 months, then i’d have a bad day or week and i’d just think why am i messing around like this?

once you’d done most of the drops so you knew where to approach from, an where to park it made life a so much easier.

stevie

Right on, If they didn’t move their operations from Shewsbury ave Peterborough, I would loved to of stayed on