DHL, Scunthorpe

I have worked on the NISA for 8 years,not a the Scunthorpe site.
It can be a hard/heavy job,its well paid £28500k a year doing 2x5 days followed by 2x4 days…its well paid for a reason though,if it wasn’t then they would struggle for drivers i expect.
Bear in mind your only working 4 days a week for 2 weeks of the month,as said mostly all new 11 plate/60 plate gear for artics,its the only driving job i have done so i have nothing to compare it too but many come and go through agency,can be a pain…15 drops round Leeds in a class 1 with a rear steer trailer due to tight housing estates ect,but you do get as many staedy days as “hard” days tbh.

Id reccomend it to anyone tbh,try it you may like it :smiley:

Hay1908:
ZERO hours contract? I presume you mean that they operate a ‘We’ll employ and pay you when we are busy, but if we are not busy then we wont employ you or pay you’. If so then whats the differance between that and being on an agency.

Same as I had on Roadways a few years back, was ok until Jan when it went quiet.

Difference between that and agency is rate of pay :open_mouth:

ckm1981:
It can be a hard/heavy job,its well paid £28500k a year doing 2x5 days followed by 2x4 days…its well paid for a reason though,if it wasn’t then they would struggle for drivers i expect.
Bear in mind your only working 4 days a week for 2 weeks of the month,as said mostly all new 11 plate/60 plate gear for artics,its the only driving job i have done so i have nothing to compare it too but many come and go through agency,can be a pain…15 drops round Leeds in a class 1 with a rear steer trailer due to tight housing estates ect,but you do get as many staedy days as “hard” days tbh.

You should think about being a salesman as you have put the job across as a very tempting and worthwhile job :laughing:

Thanks for another side to the job, maybe your right if I’m successful (I should calm down as I’ve only been asked to send in an application on the back of sending them my CV) but if I’m succsesful it may be worth giving it a go and see if I’m not as old and knackered as I seem to think I am. :unamused:

You will be successful, they are more or less dragging blokes in of the streets.

Hay1908:

ckm1981:

You should think about being a salesman as you have put the job across as a very tempting and worthwhile job :laughing:

Thanks for another side to the job, maybe your right if I’m successful (I should calm down as I’ve only been asked to send in an application on the back of sending them my CV) but if I’m succsesful it may be worth giving it a go and see if I’m not as old and knackered as I seem to think I am. :unamused:

I shall put your suggestion forward to my superiors tommorow :smiley:
The first cpl of weeks will be hard/heavy/annoying/frustrating ect ect til you get your head round it and get your own system of work together.
Once you have your way of doing things then you will begin to appriciate the shift pattern :slight_smile:
As i said its the only driving job i have done,there are chaps working there in the “later stages” of there working life and they manage,2 driver left just before christmas as they retired aged 60 and 65,they managed the day to day aspect of the job until said age…you may get a heavy pallet now and again,this is where the bit between the ears comes in though-
1x very heavy pallet do i
A)Maul myself to death trying to drag it alone
B)Adivse the store staff that they are required to assist with said heavy pallet,that way whilst they are pushing you can pretend you are pulling your hardest with some choice grunts and groans… :sunglasses:
C) break pallet down to a manageable size and enjoy the freedom of moving pallet with ease.
Its very rare that you will do C tbh as most shops will asisst,if you join you are doing so at the best time during the next cpl of months as you have just missed the “bad” month which is December as all that xmas beer on shelves in your local shop had to get there somehow.
Apply,go into the job with an open mind,there will be hard days,there will be easy days.
Good luck with the application.

Again much appreciated info and advice, thanks.

Application filled in and popped into the post box this morning, so time will tell. Thank you very much :smiley:

All the info here is good, but (I think) they also have trunk runs involving drop and swap, also it may be that sites have individual agreements - there is no single DHL driver agreement.
All the things you want to know ask at the interview, the job description is about right, but they also operate heavy rigids.

mi13ke:
All the info here is good, but (I think) they also have trunk runs involving drop and swap, also it may be that sites have individual agreements - there is no single DHL driver agreement.
All the things you want to know ask at the interview, the job description is about right, but they also operate heavy rigids.

The trunk runs are "dead man shoe’s " runs lol

robinhood_1984:
Only worked for them ages ago (2005) on rigids when I first passed my class 2. Thats when they were still round at the old place on Foxhills. Absolute bunch of jobsworths in my opinion. Every time I went in there to be ignored at the desk,they’d be threatening all sorts of action against one hapless driver or another. Once a driver had a tacho infringement in so much as he’d driven for 4 hours and 31 minutes and they threatened to sack him as they wheeled him into the back office. Now that sort of carry on my be normal for big companies like that but I couldn’t be doing with it personally. I was only agency with them so they left me alone. They always gave drivers mission impossible. Every time I’d turn up for work there’d be chaos in the office as they’d have to send a car out to meet a driver who’d run out of his 15hr spread on a night shift at Doncaster services etc. They wanted and expected maximum hours, also with lots of hand ball and the like, but if you had the audacity to make a mistake on your tacho, they would not think twice before threatening your livelyhood. Thats no way to be. Again probably normal for a big outfit, and this was in 2005 so probably isn’t relivent now. Especially as that was definetely Bibby, not DHL.

15 hour spread?

robinhood_1984:
Every time I’d turn up for work there’d be chaos in the office as they’d have to send a car out to meet a driver who’d run out of his 15hr spread on a night shift at Doncaster services etc.

robinhood_1984:
but if you had the audacity to make a mistake on your tacho, they would not think twice before threatening your livelyhood.

How ironic. :sunglasses:

SmItHy1982:
15 hour spread?

You must have completed a minimum of 9 hours daily rest within 24 hours of your shift starting, so therefore you can ‘work’ for a maximum of 15 hours. The term used to describe this is generally ‘spreadover’.

SmItHy1982:

robinhood_1984:
Only worked for them ages ago (2005) on rigids when I first passed my class 2. Thats when they were still round at the old place on Foxhills. Absolute bunch of jobsworths in my opinion. Every time I went in there to be ignored at the desk,they’d be threatening all sorts of action against one hapless driver or another. Once a driver had a tacho infringement in so much as he’d driven for 4 hours and 31 minutes and they threatened to sack him as they wheeled him into the back office. Now that sort of carry on my be normal for big companies like that but I couldn’t be doing with it personally. I was only agency with them so they left me alone. They always gave drivers mission impossible. Every time I’d turn up for work there’d be chaos in the office as they’d have to send a car out to meet a driver who’d run out of his 15hr spread on a night shift at Doncaster services etc. They wanted and expected maximum hours, also with lots of hand ball and the like, but if you had the audacity to make a mistake on your tacho, they would not think twice before threatening your livelyhood. Thats no way to be. Again probably normal for a big outfit, and this was in 2005 so probably isn’t relivent now. Especially as that was definetely Bibby, not DHL.

15 hour spread?

i know u can take 1 week at 45 hours and the next week 24 hours rest periods

SmItHy1982:

SmItHy1982:

robinhood_1984:
Only worked for them ages ago (2005) on rigids when I first passed my class 2. Thats when they were still round at the old place on Foxhills. Absolute bunch of jobsworths in my opinion. Every time I went in there to be ignored at the desk,they’d be threatening all sorts of action against one hapless driver or another. Once a driver had a tacho infringement in so much as he’d driven for 4 hours and 31 minutes and they threatened to sack him as they wheeled him into the back office. Now that sort of carry on my be normal for big companies like that but I couldn’t be doing with it personally. I was only agency with them so they left me alone. They always gave drivers mission impossible. Every time I’d turn up for work there’d be chaos in the office as they’d have to send a car out to meet a driver who’d run out of his 15hr spread on a night shift at Doncaster services etc. They wanted and expected maximum hours, also with lots of hand ball and the like, but if you had the audacity to make a mistake on your tacho, they would not think twice before threatening your livelyhood. Thats no. way to be. Again probably normal for a big outfit, and this was in 2005 so probably isn’t relivent now. Especially as that was definetely Bibby, not DHL.

15 hour spread?

i know u can take 1 week at 45 hours and the next week 24 hours rest periods

I know how to make really good cheese toasties