Destination doha leyland marathon

just watched it on you tube very interesting i’m a big scania 141 fan but that leyland marathon was the nutz it has a swiffle chair and under the bunk there was a cooker sink etc not bad for a truck in the late 70’s ive been told there was only a few of them about leyland marathon special anyone have any pictures? cheers

Have a look on here mate www.interwheels.nl lots of original leyland brochure pictures, Photo’s of these marathon specials seem pretty rare.
A recent thread on here had a few photo’s, sandman norman drove one of the B R S overland Iran, marathon specials.
Bestbooties has also commented on Carmans ( brit european) having one, which virtually fell to bits whilst crossing H4. The marathon featured in Destination Doha was just a bit of a publicity stunt by leyland, apparently
I’ve spent hours searching the web for photo’s, and only come across a handful.
jerry

‘Sandman Norman’ is the man to be speak to regarding the ‘Middle East Marathon’s’
Norman has posted some good pics and memory’s on another thread about his time on BRS Overland. Also IIRC his Marathon cab detached itself from the chassis in a horrific accident somewhere, luckily he escaped without any serious injurie’s?
Hope that helps.
Regards
Dave Penn;

Wasnt the Marathon in d Doha driven by a Leyland employee? . . .■■■■ Rivers
Sure he drove a Marathon d/d in a Leyland promotional film down to Spain?

Suedehead:

you are correct about the documentary but i dont know if he was a leyland employee

Suedehead:

I’m sure I met ■■■■ Rivers once, I put in another thread about being stuck in Chalon -s-Saone in June 1992, during a drivers strike (it got a bit nasty there at the end). He lived in Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire somewhere and was running a white day - cab 95 DAF tractor with a sleeperpod on top, doing Eastern bloc and Greece/Turkey. He had a couple of Romanian drivers apparently too with another couple of motors. A guy who was with us told me he’d been in a documentary years before. Bizzarely I’d watch it as a kid, but couldn’t remember at the time of the strike, but I’ve recently been bought a copy of “Destination Doha” and immediately recognized the man.

I may be completely wrong but am pretty certain!

Maybe he did do promotional work, but seems to have been a haulier too.

cheers,

Brookie

the promo film is to italy in a marathon and you can get it from ebay

■■■■ Rivers was,so I am told by a pretty reliable source,a test driver for AEC in Southall.