Denied access to toilets

^^^ yeah he pulled around the corner to the lorry park, did his business and then phoned the gaffer to see if he wanted him to go back to the customer, gaffer replied along the lines of “sod them, nobody treats my drivers like that”.

the maoster:
^^^ yeah he pulled around the corner to the lorry park, did his business and then phoned the gaffer to see if he wanted him to go back to the customer, gaffer replied along the lines of “sod them, nobody treats my drivers like that”.

Good for them.

We only had one isolated issue when this first kicked off last year, a phone call from one of our directors explaining what was going to happen (same as your gaffer) if drivers were refused such basic facilities sorted that problem immediately.

Compare and contrast, turned up to my drop this morning in Switzerland and asked for the key to the driver’s toilet and shower, somewhat embarassed the girl said we don’t seem to be able to find the key, but not a problem you can use the staff toilet and shower instead. The noticable thing is that there is no difference in standards between the drivers facilities and their staff’s.

Mazzer2:
Compare and contrast, turned up to my drop this morning in Switzerland and asked for the key to the driver’s toilet and shower, somewhat embarassed the girl said we don’t seem to be able to find the key, but not a problem you can use the staff toilet and shower instead. The noticable thing is that there is no difference in standards between the drivers facilities and their staff’s.

To be fair, I have been to many businesses in the UK just like that.
We do like to put down our country a bit as a nation but it’s not all bad :stuck_out_tongue:.

“Because of security, you’d need an induction course.”, and, “Due to COVID-19 restrictions you are not allowed out of your vehicle.”

Tell them to undo back doors pull curtains back and come to your cab for paperwork then if that’s the case

Sand Fisher:
I have decided to complain to HSE

To anyone considering doing the same, don’t bother. i have been denied access recently and after complaining to the HSE they replied they do not enforce the laws which cover our access to toilets.

I have however saved links to PDFs from the HSE stating it is illegal to deny drivers access to wash facilities. Wash facilities is the key term here. A portaloo with no running water is not good enough.

And they wonder why there’s a driver shortage.

Housing Units Distribution Centre, Tweedale Way, Oldham. Apologies I don’t know how to rotate the picture, but I think the bird faeces speaks for itself.

I don’t post, but felt so strongly about this I felt obliged. :imp:

Sand Fisher:

Mazzie:
As an outsider who has yet to pass my practical etc and as a woman this whole topic appalls me. Are these companies really so short sighted to not let someone go to the loo? Forget about the business side of things (and not ■■■■■■■ off the people who are important in your supply chain), it’s just basic human decency. And don’t get me started on the haulage companies not having your backs and letting it happen or forcing you to use lay-bys or bottles?! I think to combat the issue the hygienic side should be used as an angle. I see in job listings they say drivers are the face of the company yada yada so how is a driver who hasn’t washed their hands or have urine stained pants after an accident in a lay-by going to come across to their clients huh? -.-

And if I could play the “female” card for a moment, I keep hearing they want more women in the industry but how many women are gonna put up with being denied going to the toilets while delivering, especially while on their period? They need to cop on.

Would you consider taking your own loo as in camping? I go sailing and we have a black bag policy. You eat/drink it, it goes down the loo, everything else in the black bag to be binned at the next port of call. I wonder whether it is feasible to buy and take your own cassette loo if say tramping.

If it’s your own truck I suppose you could have the pax seat taken out. All you need is the foldaway basin and of course the hairdryer. :smiley:

One of the lads does this and I even bought a little portapotty.

The problem is storing the toilet, even the smallish ones if you don’t have a full-size unit (as in DAF XF tier size), especially after it’s been used. I sure don’t want that thing sloshing about unless it’s in the side storage (which on mine is already full of other stuff I need.) Plus it’s summer now and, even with the liquid you add to kill the bacteria / neutralize the waste I still won’t be happy with the stink of the stuff wafting about the cab. LOL
I suppose just emptying it in the next available toilet when you arrive at a place that lets you use the loo is feasible. But currently I have no room for it in my cab.

TheFlyingTanker:
I suppose just emptying it in the next available toilet when you arrive at a place that lets you use the loo is feasible. .

No it’s not feasible! Campsites have specific facilities for emptying chemical toilets, just emptying in a toilet would be disgusting for the toilet and would also not properly clean your chemical toilet.

stu675:

TheFlyingTanker:
I suppose just emptying it in the next available toilet when you arrive at a place that lets you use the loo is feasible. .

No it’s not feasible! Campsites have specific facilities for emptying chemical toilets, just emptying in a toilet would be disgusting for the toilet and would also not properly clean your chemical toilet.

You empty at the end of your shift and clean it out once you get home silly goose.

Ok i will get the crap out of the way first I might be a retired TRUCKER from the days of ropes and sheets but I still support my brother truckers out there while I know it is complete bull ■■■■ when they say that a driver cannot use the toilets because of covid 19 then let’s go back to my days of fighting fire with fire when they ask for the keys just tell them I can’t give you the keys because of covid 19 and just see how quick they do a U turn as in that does not apply to your keys well oh yes it does as for handing keys in and sitting in a room that looks like a bomb has hit it there is nothing in any health and safety regulations that say’s a driver has to hand there keys in in my time I have never handed keys over once mind you I have been banned from nearly every RDC in Britain till it got too the point that when I changed employer I would tell them at the start of the chat (interview) I do not hand keys over at any RDC this got me two things lot’s of work where I did not deliver to RDC’S and sorry you have not got the job the third thing is I am really surprised at how many new drivers do not wave to their fellows drivers anymore and the standard of professional driving seems to have vanished we need to go back to the older ways speak to other drivers help other drivers sit with other drivers at cafe’s as well as driving more professionally remember the accelerator goes up as well as down plus always eat healthy have a nice salad but with chips (LOL) but don’t rush to retire there is nothing here only lot’s of lye in’s in a morning stay safe brothers and remember they only employee you they don’t own you.

Build5:

adam277:
If I need to go for a ■■■■■ I am going for a ■■■■■.

Yea, I try to plan it out but it is hard to find a toilet when your pulling a Tesco Doubledecker.
I still remember the worst day in my life.

I was in a Tesco Lorry in bumper to bumper traffic in Fulham. NOWHERE to go and I had a dodgy kebab the night before…
My god I have never came so close to ■■■■■■■■ myself.
I managed to hold it in but needless to say I did not have clean boxers by the end of the shift.

Maybe, I am in the minority here but I see no issue for a driver having a ■■■■■ in a layby or in a empty industrial park. Parking is limited for us so we have to make do. I know some guys bring bottles with them but having a ■■■■■ in a bottle is pretty bad as well so idk.

There’s one teensy weensy little issue there. It’s illegal to urinate in public.

When my planner, manager, receptionist, managing director has to do it up against a wall or in a bottle or plastic bag then I’ll do it.

(actually you are wrong there is an old bylaw that does say that travellers are allowed to urinate on the front nearside wheel plus another is a taxi cab know as an hackney carriage must carry a bale of hay in the rear for the horse at the front failure too do so will result in a fine sometimes old bylaws can be so useful)

bigmiler:

Build5:

adam277:
If I need to go for a ■■■■■ I am going for a ■■■■■.

Yea, I try to plan it out but it is hard to find a toilet when your pulling a Tesco Doubledecker.
I still remember the worst day in my life.

I was in a Tesco Lorry in bumper to bumper traffic in Fulham. NOWHERE to go and I had a dodgy kebab the night before…
My god I have never came so close to ■■■■■■■■ myself.
I managed to hold it in but needless to say I did not have clean boxers by the end of the shift.

Maybe, I am in the minority here but I see no issue for a driver having a ■■■■■ in a layby or in a empty industrial park. Parking is limited for us so we have to make do. I know some guys bring bottles with them but having a ■■■■■ in a bottle is pretty bad as well so idk.

There’s one teensy weensy little issue there. It’s illegal to urinate in public.

When my planner, manager, receptionist, managing director has to do it up against a wall or in a bottle or plastic bag then I’ll do it.

(actually you are wrong there is an old bylaw that does say that travellers are allowed to urinate on the front nearside wheel plus another is a taxi cab know as an hackney carriage must carry a bale of hay in the rear for the horse at the front failure too do so will result in a fine sometimes old bylaws can be so useful)

Who’s wrong?

insurancerevolution.co.uk/b … h-or-myth/

Stanley’s Biomass in Chipping Norton. Arrived at 06.45 told to wait outside site and get to me when they can. Pulled me onsite at 11am, fairly needing the toilet by now. Asked where toilets are, to be told that drivers aren’t allowed access to them and it’s not even because of covid. Charming!!!

Night-and-day:
Stanley’s Biomass in Chipping Norton. Arrived at 06.45 told to wait outside site and get to me when they can. Pulled me onsite at 11am, fairly needing the toilet by now. Asked where toilets are, to be told that drivers aren’t allowed access to them and it’s not even because of covid. Charming!!!

Then tell them your not delivering :wink:
Soon as they get an email from your TM about how they are breaking the law I am sure whoever told you that will get a bit of an ear full.

adam277:

Night-and-day:

Soon as they get an email from your TM about how they are breaking the law I am sure whoever told you that will get a bit of an ear full.

I would but it’s my backload to get home, and it’s Friday. I’ve emailed HGV Alliance about it so see what that brings. Still here 6 hours later and looking like at least another hour due to mechanical issues with the loading system.

Night-and-day:

adam277:

Night-and-day:

I would but it’s my backload to get home, and it’s Friday. I’ve emailed HGV Alliance about it so see what that brings. Still here 6 hours later and looking like at least another hour due to mechanical issues with the loading system.

So how did you resolve the issue? Surely you were still not crossing your legs after 6 hours?

I advise not pampering to people who restrict what is basic decency as you think you need their co-operation more.
As you have seen, co-operating with them did not get you the quick result you were probably hoping for.
These people & their masters (yes, they are very subservient types) usually crumble at the threat of any pushback.
It is because they are terrified of authority that they try to dominate you & enforce the ridiculous rules of others.

^^^^^^^
I resolved the issue by having a pee in their yard against back fence in full view. Nothing got said so must happen regularly

Night-and-day:
^^^^^^^
I resolved the issue by having a pee in their yard against back fence in full view. Nothing got said so must happen regularly

A suitable riposte. I’m pleased you did not suffer.

stu675:

TheFlyingTanker:

A campsite portable toilet facility is; a waist level sink, with a big hole to accept the waste, and a hose pipe used to rinse your portable toilet/tank and the sink.