DEN`s Transport Wrexham (new pic added)

Pic`s given to me by John Davis, hope you enjoy them.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

looks more like billy smarts circus? :wink:

Did the Atki get bought by John Huddlestone over in Scunthorpe ?

Mackem:
Did the Atki get bought by John Huddlestone over in Scunthorpe ?

Yes, the very same. It’s retired now, and is owned by Hedger’s and carrying the reg PJH 33D

great pics…thanks for posting em :smiley:

Scan

Great pics - I don’t remember Den’s at all, though I grew up in Wrexham. I take it from the phone number that they were based out on the Industrial Estate? What happened to them?

plannerman:
Great pics - I don’t remember Den’s at all, though I grew up in Wrexham. I take it from the phone number that they were based out on the Industrial Estate? What happened to them?

Not sure why, but I know they wrapped up. the Atki was later painted maroon and ran with the name E+E Transport on the headboard for a while, still in the same area, I think. This was before John Huddleston bought it. He did rather tone it down and make it a look a bit more tasteful, I thought.

Another pic of Den`s Atki

I like that Atki!!! 250 ■■■■■■■ was it?

Here it is from the old days when I had it at NorthWest.
KED 505P

Neal you should ask that bloke with the Atki to let you have a spin in it to prepare you for your T800 :laughing:

newmercman:
Neal you should ask that bloke with the Atki to let you have a spin in it to prepare you for your T800 :laughing:

Is it really that bad Mark :open_mouth: , what am i letting myself in for :open_mouth:
Well it`ll be a laugh if nothing else :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The Atki is probably warmer & will have a better ride & brakes & even though it pains me to say this, it’s a better looking lorry than a T800, well that one’s a bit nasty looking but you know what I mean (BTW Big Al, I haven’t gone soft in the head, it’s just that the KW is really ugly :laughing: )

You’ll enjoy it though, even if you had to push a cart, it’s a lot better than where you are now :sunglasses:

I saw that old Atki once coming up the hill at Hendaye as I was going into Spain, thought I was hallucinating :open_mouth: Sure it was brown at the time, it would’ve been 91/92ish

Yes the old Atki did used go to the continent quite regulary, with E&E and Huddlestones, She was uprated with a 320 ■■■■■■■■ and Huddleston added twin straight through stacks up the back of the cab, think it wound up at 400bhp before he sold it. She come past me on the M11 one day, sounded lovely!! Plated for 56ton i believe. Dens ran a colourful fleet of motors, anybody got any pics of the A,B and C series they ran??

Thanks Straight Eight, the bloke was obviously a big Atki fan then, 400hp or not that’s still a heap of junk to be going to Spain in 1973 let alone 1992, come to think of it, it’s a heap of junk full stop :laughing:

I’m no fan of an Atki, but some of the renovated ones do look good, it is an impressive looking motor, no disguising that, I wanted my Dad to have one because we used to go past John Raymonds yard at Bridgend a lot & the line up there looked really good, but for some reason my Dad didn’t want to give up his F88 :open_mouth: :laughing:

dieseldog6:
I like that Atki!!! 250 ■■■■■■■ was it?

I was chatting with Merv who gave me the pic and he said it had a 400 ■■■■■■■ in it when he drove it

The motor itself was a 320, but it was ‘fettled’ as previously stated.

newmercman:
Thanks Straight Eight, the bloke was obviously a big Atki fan then, 400hp or not that’s still a heap of junk to be going to Spain in 1973 let alone 1992, come to think of it, it’s a heap of junk full stop :laughing:

I’m no fan of an Atki, but some of the renovated ones do look good, it is an impressive looking motor, no disguising that, I wanted my Dad to have one because we used to go past John Raymonds yard at Bridgend a lot & the line up there looked really good, but for some reason my Dad didn’t want to give up his F88 :open_mouth: :laughing:

Ya dad was a very sensible man then!!! I certainly wouldnt hav gone to Spalding in it let alone spain! Nothing wrong with that ■■■■■■■ or Fuller, its just the shed on top that puts me off. But i am glad that a motor with so much caractor and history has been saved, and like i said before, u wana hear it, sounds great at full chat! A chap called Colin Rawson drove it for Huddy, and yes he was Atki-Mad, he drove a Sammell Trunker, then a 1958 MK1 Atkinson after that, both on long distance!!! and this was in the late 90s!!! He shouldv had a medal for that.

newmercman:
I saw that old Atki once coming up the hill at Hendaye as I was going into Spain, thought I was hallucinating :open_mouth: Sure it was brown at the time, it would’ve been 91/92ish

Indeed it was brown (ish) - I took this photo at the 1992 Atkinson Rally at Leyland:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Yes the old Atki did used go to the continent quite regulary, with E&E and Huddlestones, She was uprated with a 320 ■■■■■■■■ and Huddleston added twin straight through stacks up the back of the cab, think it wound up at 400bhp before he sold it. She come past me on the M11 one day, sounded lovely!! Plated for 56ton i believe. Dens ran a colourful fleet of motors, anybody got any pics of the A,B and C series they ran??

I understand it’s plated for 38 tonnes - when all said and done, it’s only a 34 ton Borderer with a tag axle and not a heavy
haulage tractor. The front axle would be plated only for 5.5 tons.