Delivery Addresses

Following THIS tread I was just wondering if anyone else on this forum has gone miles out of their way because of a bad or wrong delivery address, examples being typing errors, bad addressed, going to invoice address instead of warehouse address,
I made the mistake of Going to the wrong Homburg in Germany because I didn’t check the post code, but that was my fault, I have gone to invoice addresses on a number of occasions which was a office fault, on one occasion it was 700km in the wrong direction :open_mouth:

I once went to a place in Harrogate, the invoice address, given as the collection address, when I should’ve been dockside at Goole, not very dramatic but as these were urgent equine medicines (my ariss, 3 IBC’s of mineral oil) we had to hold the Ireland trunk.

On a lot of computer systems there is the option of inputting the delivery address on the paperwork, but that would be too much hassle for the office bods wouldn’t it?

Another thing is putting the address as unit 6, such an such business park, postcode, no road name Without my Tomtom I wouldn’t have a bloody clue, and when they get the postcode wrong…

Hi, This is my first post but I have been lurking for quite a while now. I am a retired old codger who has over 40yrs experience in the industry In my early years I was working for a company who did a bit of container work, I got a delivery of 20 tons of bagged stuff ( plaster or the like ) and set off to deliver it. The address turned out to be quite a nice house with a driveway and large garage. Went to the door which was answered by a lady who subsequently turned out to be the nanny. She didn’t know anything about the delivery and the boss was away for a couple of days. This was before the days of mobile phones. I asked her where the stuff had to go and she said probably the garage, so that was where it went ! 20 tons handballed on my own. Docket signed and away. Couple of days later the zb hit the fan. My gaffer wanted me to go back and collect it and redeliver to some warehouse, you can guess my answer to that one. Lesson learnt and another brick laid in the great wall of experience.

Always on holiday ! :blush: :slight_smile:

Yes, because address was spelt wrong
Yes, because it had the invoice address instead of delivery address on the delivery note
Yes because the delivery address was vague
Yes, other reason (please explain)

All of the above.

I have suggested to our office that they phone each customer and get them to email or fax their correct address, a simple cheap foolproof way of confirming details but yes you have guessed, they ain’t…Doh… :angry: :angry:

Coffeeholic:
Yes, because it had the invoice address instead of delivery address on the delivery note

All of the above.

im with neil on this i go for all the yes’s.

i once had delivery in bristol of drums of cable and presumed it was the drop i always went to… but it wasnt its miles away, my fault. :blush:

For all of the above reasons!

I made a mistake 2 years ago, which turned out to be rather expensive.
Delivered to the invoice address by my error, all signed up…thanks etc…, then got an office call an hour later…“any probs with that tip?” none I said…but then immediately realised what had happened. Offered to go back and correct the problem, but office said no, continue.

Turned out that a team of 10 fitters were waiting at delivery address.
I accepted the blame, but the office also acknowledged they should have turned me around!

Cost a grand or so to compensate lost wages and the re-delivery of goods.
:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Best one is when they give you a PO BOX and no-one has a phone number

Cant quite get 26 pallets in the PO box boss :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I was once given a delivery address to a farm in Boltby, Yorkshire. Got into village and asked where farm is and got directions, No one commented on the fact i had an artic. Followed directions perfectly but due to it being in a forest on the side of a hill I lost all traction and ground to a halt. After trying unsuccesfully to move I decided to walk up to the farm and seek assistance. I arrived at the farm and told them I had a delivery for them but was unable to make it. They looked at me quizically saying everyone else managed. I then explained i had 24 tonnes of tiles on board for them. It turned out that they hand paint the tiles at this farm and usually only get around 100 delivered at a time in a 4x4.

I ended up stuck on that road for nearly 2 days and had to be winched to the top of the hill by a wrecker. Unfortunatley I was blocking the only way onto the front of my vehicle so the forestry commision had to arrange the removal of several trees to enable a wrecker to get in front of me. After I was free from there I proceeded to deliver the tiles to there correct destination which was a lovely nice unit on an industrial estate just of the A1.

offtherails:
I was once given a delivery address to a farm in Boltby, Yorkshire. Got into village and asked where farm is and got directions, No one commented on the fact i had an artic. Followed directions perfectly but due to it being in a forest on the side of a hill I lost all traction and ground to a halt. After trying unsuccesfully to move I decided to walk up to the farm and seek assistance. I arrived at the farm and told them I had a delivery for them but was unable to make it. They looked at me quizically saying everyone else managed. I then explained i had 24 tonnes of tiles on board for them. It turned out that they hand paint the tiles at this farm and usually only get around 100 delivered at a time in a 4x4.

I ended up stuck on that road for nearly 2 days and had to be winched to the top of the hill by a wrecker. Unfortunatley I was blocking the only way onto the front of my vehicle so the forestry commision had to arrange the removal of several trees to enable a wrecker to get in front of me. After I was free from there I proceeded to deliver the tiles to there correct destination which was a lovely nice unit on an industrial estate just of the A1.

this has to be the best and will take some beating. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Not quite to ther wrong address but been a bit confused by it.

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WJGtZUWUTHk

Number 46 is actually before number 44 and up the end of a long path personally if it was me I would havwe put a sign up letting people know that, rather than laugh and joke saying everyone gets it wrong.

I was once, ahem, “directed” wrongly in Fareham and ended up in a nice little village with a narrow bridge I couldn’t get through. So, 3 hours later…all the phone lines ripped down, several parked cars opened up like tins of sardines by my trailer, a traffic warden and several traffic cops later, I was turned round in the local pub car-park (after the lovely chain link fence had been removed) and sent to the right place a few miles away.

That was in 1988…my very 1st job on my own driving an artic…I was not a popular guy!

Not as good as Offtherails though :laughing: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s bad that you can give only one answer.

I was in wrong places becouse:

• it was spelled incorrectly and there was few streets with similar names
  • it was completely wrong (something from Mars…)
  • it was telling me to go to place, when the company was years ago
  • collection and delivery adresses were mixed
  • there were no adresses at all: all I had was “Ms Catherie McX, Eriskay”. People on Outher Hebrides don’t have adresses, as there is no point for that - everyone knows where everyone lives. But this lady was new there, so no-one knew her and I had to travel all over the island untill I met her in the shop :smiley:

Once working for a landscaping place got sent to Jewsons i think it was, but then never said which Jewson, the one in Ayr was closer to went there but they were meaning the one in Kilmarnock.

When starting to do more distance work rather than local stuff, started a new job was told would be going mostly to the West Midlands and the South West. First night was told was going to Huntingdon, was told just start heading to Huntingdon and the other driver who is asleep just now will call you in a few hours and tell you exactly where to go when you get there.

Didn’t have a clue where it was, looked up the map saw Huntington, Staffordshire thought that must be the place since its near the west midlands area so headed there.

Luckly other driver called me up when i was near Carlisle, so didnt end up going to the wrong place.

Yes to all,

Can’t beat the chap who was stuck for two days, but the worst I had was a delivery of 20 pallets of engineering parts for a firm in Elgin. Left Tamworth at 6am Tuesday, after 9 hours driving took daily rest, 2 hours driving the next day arrived at destination. Was kept waiting an hour before the foreman arrived with the paperwork which I had previously handed to the Warehouse guy.

“Sorry mate, you got the wrong address” He says

“What do you mean, THIS is the address on the note” I reply

“Yeah I know THIS is the address on the note, but, these pallets were collected from here on Friday and should have gone to bristol.”

You can guess the rest.

An engineering co I once worked at made some rather exotic bolts for the royal navy, we had 6 bolts to go to Faslane, but the notes had a London address (probably Whitehall) guess where the driver ended up?

A sub ended up being late for trials at a cost reportedly into the millions due to these bolts being late.

Yes, because I didn’t read the address correctly

Normally i end up in the wrong place if the address is a bit vague and i cant find it, or the premises have moved but the old address is still on the ticket.

Not that dramatic but the best one was one of my first driving jobs on agency for CLS. I was given a map to deliver to ruda bay holiday park which is in croyde. now i had never been there before and I didnt know North Devon at all back then, and I didnt actually have an address for this place, just the name of the park and a printed out map with a cross on it to show me where it was. Turned out the guy who printed this map sent me to a MULTI STOREY CAR PARK in barnstaple town centre, in an 18 tonner.
Quickly found out I was stuck but luckily a traffic attendant saw me and asked me what was up. he knew where my actual delivery address was, and explained to me how to get there, and i managed to reverse back out and carry on my way.

My latest wrong delivery was to the HSBC bank in Exeter. the branch had dhut down and moved up the other end of the high street, seem to get this quite a bit, addresses never getting changed. Oh and dont get me started on delivering to the universities in exeter and plymouth, " dentistry and mEd. smeall building, St lukes Campus, Exeter"
:confused: You wouldnt have a clue if you didnt have sat nav- (doesnt always find correct campus properly anyway ive heard) or you didnt know where the different campuses were to already…

another one is “Cookworthy building, Room 665, drake circus, Plymouth” which is actually nowhere near the drake circus campus. trying to explain it to a driver who doesnt know plymouth at all and wrongly follows his sat nav is a pain in the neck!

I had one a few weeks ago, invoice address was in Kent, it should’ve been going to Kings Lynn… :laughing:.

Thing was the office, in Manchester, was adament that it was going to Kent. When I phoned them I had one hell of an arguement with them that they had got the address wrong. They then had the nerve to phone my TM and tell him I was useless and couldn’t read an address that they had supplied. As from two weeks ago my TM told them to go and shove thier contract where the sun dont shine.

Nice to know that my TM will stand up for me when he knows that I am in the right.

I spent 2 hours running around Sunbury one day, only to be told by the office that someone had made mistake and it should have been SUDBURY, :laughing:

Oh well, at least I was at the right end of the country.

90% of addresses are wrong
either completlety or by dint that they miss out useful information

customer name
unit number
road name
industrial estate name if applicable
suburb
town
postcode

mobile number / landline number
local contact name

its not rocket science we put a man on the moon 40 years ago

imagine Neil Armstrong saying
Houston we have a problem i’m on Venus and these rings should have gone to Saturn

i write in big letters the correct address and then laugh when i get told off for being helpful