Delivering Reels of Paper

russjp:
We collect steel reels from Corus in South Wales and the loaders there won`t let you leave unless each reel has at least 2 ratchet straps on it :open_mouth:

Do you mean coils??
I work for a corus haulier and a lot of Corus places will not let you out without having 4 straps on each coil. 2 over the top and 2 through the bore!!

russjp:
We collect steel reels from Corus in South Wales and the loaders there won`t let you leave unless each reel has at least 2 ratchet straps on it :open_mouth:

But a strap isn’t going to damage the edges of a steel coil

Wheel Nut:

russjp:

But a strap isn’t going to damage the edges of a steel coil

Not usually, but the edges of a steel coil can mess up a strap :stuck_out_tongue:
(If it isn’t protected properly)

See title of thread

When i used to load reels on the roll on a flatbed for belgium they were full width reels and to get your weight on you had to put one up over the rear axles.We used to put a wooden scotch under each one and a backscotch under the rear one+a ratchetted strap thro the core.Then it was a case of 2 body sheets then rope between, reels,cross on back then put flysheet over as we were told you never rope a flysheet coz if you did it didnt do its job i e lift slightly when you were travelling and so keep water off top of load.

Dead on dafdave, only thing was we couldn’t use a strap as they never really came on the scene till the 80’s, where I worked at least.
Which begs another question, when did straps appear?

dieseldog6:
Dead on dafdave, only thing was we couldn’t use a strap as they never really came on the scene till the 80’s, where I worked at least.

In the days of roping and sheeting,a double dolly was more than tight enough!

Wheel Nut:

miketdt:

dieseldog6:
Reels of paper, my favorite load to rope and sheet, small chock under every one ,back scotch, sheeted and roped between the reels cross on the back, then a fly sheet, Convoy’s Depthford.

God that brings back memories loading reels from Convoy’s using a back scotch and 3 sheets. Does anyone remember John Pitts Paper mill in Exeter or loading to wiggins and teape at Ivybridge. These loads had to be hand rolled of the back . Remember being shown by my father as a boy, but it was far more differcult doing it yourself for the 1st time. Is Convoys still there?

You will need one of them then :stuck_out_tongue:

Used to do it regular in the early '70’s.Newsprint from Convoys to Glasgow,
full load on the deck,and two up top over the axles.

dieseldog6:

Before straps diesel we used to put a double rope thro the core.

speaking about corus this is there latest health and safety one out of rotherham site for carrying coils, you have to put to 2 straps on the first coil and 2 straps on the back coil and then one ■■■■■■■■ every other coil you end up with upto 14 straps now on one load its silly typical health and safety crap!!

miketdt:

dieseldog6:
Reels of paper, my favorite load to rope and sheet, small chock under every one ,back scotch, sheeted and roped between the reels cross on the back, then a fly sheet, Convoy’s Depthford.

God that brings back memories loading reels from Convoy’s using a back scotch and 3 sheets. Does anyone remember John Pitts Paper mill in Exeter or loading to wiggins and teape at Ivybridge. These loads had to be hand rolled of the back . Remember being shown by my father as a boy, but it was far more differcult doing it yourself for the 1st time. Is Convoys still there?

I was in there last week its deserted now appart from a company sorting beer kegs for Brewerys.All the sheds are still standing.

this how i did mine…

Photobucket

I pick up paper reels regular from chatham docks or tilbury . Never ever strap them even when they load them three high in tilbury . They are all on there ends. I think it comes down to the driver you drive to the conditions and what you are carrying in my opinion and i only been driving 4 months and not lost anything yet . just my two pence worth .

s2rich:
I pick up paper reels regular from chatham docks or tilbury . Never ever strap them even when they load them three high in tilbury . They are all on there ends. I think it comes down to the driver you drive to the conditions and what you are carrying in my opinion and i only been driving 4 months and not lost anything yet . just my two pence worth .

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

if i was loading them 2 high i would definatley be using at least internal straps criss crossin the top ones because belive me if anything happens they will slide all over the place and all the top ones sliding to one side of the trailer will roll you over.

its not your driving you have to worry about it’s everybody else’s.

you should treat your load for every eventuality. a driver is responsible for his load and the driver is always to blame. :unamused:

where did you load them from jd, our lads carry that stuff out of scunny steelworks they have to figure 8 straps when carrying them.

lgamston:
where did you load them from jd, our lads carry that stuff out of scunny steelworks they have to figure 8 straps when carrying them.

Same here, yet if we load them from Sheerness, no one cares :open_mouth:

jessicas dad:

s2rich:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

if i was loading them 2 high i would definatley be using at least internal straps criss crossin the top ones because belive me if anything happens they will slide all over the place and all the top ones sliding to one side of the trailer will roll you over.

its not your driving you have to worry about it’s everybody else’s.

you should treat your load for every eventuality. a driver is responsible for his load and the driver is always to blame. :unamused:

I’d agree with Jessica’s Dad. to say you’ve been driving for 4 months and not lost a load is a bit presumptuous. I’d been driving for many years before I had a major load shift, (top trailer on a stack) the type of load I’d pulled many times before.

s2rich:

i get the reels from tilbury often aswell, and i always use a strap to stop it moving towards the curtain, and then strap across the back 2 to stop em moving towards the back of the trl… seems to do the trick for me…

lgamston:

i loaded them from cardiff.