PAPER REELS

HI GUYS
ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN TELL ME WHERE TO GET THE RIGHT INFORMATION ON THE CORRECT WAY TO STRAP AND TRANSPORT PAPER
REELS ON ACURTAIN SIDER…HELP.
REGARDS FROSTYBALLS :frowning:

frostyballs:
HI GUYS
ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN TELL ME WHERE TO GET THE RIGHT INFORMATION ON THE CORRECT WAY TO STRAP AND TRANSPORT PAPER
REELS ON ACURTAIN SIDER…HELP.
REGARDS FROSTYBALLS :frowning:

Be careful of shouting on a forum! CAPITALS…

dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicle … hicles.pdf

Try looking around page 42

The best advice you will get is from the factory or warehouse as to whether they are to be carried on their end, on their side, or stacked!

Sweep Floor
Roll out protective paper
Consider using antislip mats or stars

Occasionally consignors will prevent straps being used over the edges of paper reels, so they are the best source of securing information and will probably have procedures in place.

No need to strap them unless they are laying down and chocked. Just take it easy and allow lots of braking room.

Dogmatix:
No need to strap them unless they are laying down and chocked. Just take it easy and allow lots of braking room.

I used to carry reels of paper everyday for over 5 years on a tautliner for Smith Stone & Knight, Satley Birmingham, never strapped and all important never moved!!well only a little bit but never a problem :wink:

Exactly, drive sensible and safe and you will be fine.

Dogmatix:
Exactly, drive sensible and safe and you will be fine.

Ive just found some photos: just arrived and pulled back curtains ready to unload…

Not one moved from Birmingham to Newport S-Wales.

Exactly, how are you supposed to strap one of them down!

Dogmatix:

2 straps for each roll crossed over the top with plastic edge protecters,thats how we do it in Germany

Geoff

If the reels are loaded laying down across the trailer you just chock them as per newsprint reels.These are the diagrams shown on the hse website.
if they are loaded on end as per the photos the boys have put up then there is a lot of debate at the moment on how they should be secured.
As has been said not many places will let you out unless you strap the reels as they can be held responsible as well if anything goes wrong.
If you are going over the water you will need to put corner edges on and use ratchet straps to secure them.
if it is national then the accepted practice in a taughtliner has been to put two straps round each reel(one front one back),unless you are one of the i never strap them and they never move when i’m driving brigade.
However the hse has now decided that reels must be strapped down to the trailer bed(as with all other loads straps hanging from the roof are not going to be allowed) so they should now be ratchet strapped down to trailer bed.The thing is they do not show you on their website how to secure reels on end as they know full well that nothing will secure them totally but they have still asked vosa to pull over taughtliners to make sure they are “secured” otherwise it’s an insecure load charge.

gbtransp:

Dogmatix:

2 straps for each roll crossed over the top with plastic edge protecters,thats how we do it in Germany

Geoff

Ok and how do I get up there to do it? We usually have to stay in the cab whilst the trailer is being loaded, or it has already been loaded if from Tilbury for example. I prefer carrying them chocked and strapped down, they aint going anywhere then. I bet 95% of the trucks with reels upright are not strapped.

When i was transporting the reels of paper about 15 years ago the only time you strapped or chocked, roped them down was on the roll on flat bed trailers!!!

disgo:
If the reels are loaded laying down across the trailer you just chock them as per newsprint reels.These are the diagrams shown on the hse website.
if they are loaded on end as per the photos the boys have put up then there is a lot of debate at the moment on how they should be secured.
As has been said not many places will let you out unless you strap the reels as they can be held responsible as well if anything goes wrong.
If you are going over the water you will need to put corner edges on and use ratchet straps to secure them.
if it is national then the accepted practice in a taughtliner has been to put two straps round each reel(one front one back),unless you are one of the i never strap them and they never move when i’m driving brigade.
However the hse has now decided that reels must be strapped down to the trailer bed(as with all other loads straps hanging from the roof are not going to be allowed) so they should now be ratchet strapped down to trailer bed.The thing is they do not show you on their website how to secure reels on end as they know full well that nothing will secure them totally but they have still asked vosa to pull over taughtliners to make sure they are “secured” otherwise it’s an insecure load charge.

I got pulled a few times en route from B-ham to Newport at Ross on wye for wieght checks never had a problem with the way the load of reels were loaded ( not strapped) but that was 15 years ago :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

the last ones i did stood on end where about 3 years ago when i did about 3 loads a week from SCA aylseford upto hartlepool and SCA would not let you out of the gate if they werent strapped down, the thing is they walk about however you did it so i used to use 2 straps crossed, one pulling forward and the other back, i never had one move but them tall ones do tend to rock and roll a bit

in the photo the trailer is full
and the reels are juxta posed so they would form a solid bloke
using the curtains for support
no space for movement
so not a good example

Dogmatix:

gbtransp:

Dogmatix:

Geoff

Ok and how do I get up there to do it? We usually have to stay in the cab whilst the trailer is being loaded, or it has already been loaded if from Tilbury for example. I prefer carrying them chocked and strapped down, they aint going anywhere then. I bet 95% of the trucks with reels upright are not strapped.

Thats the problem you have got in the UK with H/S, i just lean a ladder on the rolls ,throw the straps over, put the protecters on and tighten the ratchets and the forkie can wait with the next roll until i am finished, its better that the driver falls of a ladder a breaks and leg than 1 of those 3 ton rolls going through the side and lands on a car,
It is irresponserble transporting such loads ,without them being secured, and no factory in germany would let you out of the front gate without being strapped down. It will take a few years ,but its coming to the UK with this load security and the days will then be over ,running into a factory, ripping the side open, loading 9 reels,closing the side ,and back out in 20 mins, i need up to 1.5 hrs to load and secure 9 reels

Bay 1 Driver SVP

Sweep the floor

Put the chassis jacks Under

Chock the wheels

Line the floor

Put anti slip mats down

Go for a coffee

Count the reels

Shut the doors

Au revoir

hitch:
in the photo the trailer is full
and the reels are juxta posed so they would form a solid bloke
using the curtains for support
no space for movement
so not a good example

:confused: Yes the trailer is full in the photo! the photo with curtain open showing Full load that was not strapped has not moved a very good example me thinks :wink:

gbtransp:

Funny looking reels. :unamused:

Never read such crap in all my life!

You guys are pros? Dont make me laugh…

What are you going to do next year with the new restraining laws coming in, plead ignorance??

There are ways of strapping reels in, and without damage to the edges, we do it all the time, and our ways are under review, to make it even safer ready for next year, to the point we are trialing a new type of curtainsider restraint system.

As for the muppets who say never strap them, you are tossers, 2 ton of reel, in a curtainsider, unstrapped…

gbtransp:

Dogmatix:

Geoff

And that’s how it should be done here… but rarely is IME!