Delivering home heating oil? [Merged]

Hi everyone, :slight_smile: just new to the website and was looking for opinions on domestic oil tanker jobs? Is it a decent job? Could you make a career out of it? What’s the pros and cons of doing it? At the minute im driving an artic, chilled and frozen foods throughout Ireland…but get fed up looking at motorways, factories and loading bays sometimes.lol The pay isn’t great either. Also bad hours.
Delivering to houses etc in the country seems appealing to me. Would like to here everyone’s opinion on this job. thanks. :smiley:

marko91:
Hi everyone, :slight_smile: just new to the website and was looking for opinions on domestic oil tanker jobs? Is it a decent job? Could you make a career out of it? What’s the pros and cons of doing it? At the minute im driving an artic, chilled and frozen foods throughout Ireland…but get fed up looking at motorways, factories and loading bays sometimes.lol The pay isn’t great either. Also bad hours.
Delivering to houses etc in the country seems appealing to me. Would like to here everyone’s opinion on this job. thanks. :smiley:

Hi Pal, think you should have put this on the main forum, as most drivers with experience probably won’t look here. Obviously you will need ADR, and that’s going to cost you £500+

Best of luck

Thanks man, il try post it on the main forum :smiley:

Can be bloody hard graft pulling a hose full of oil round the back of some properties. Great joy in finding places by name only, Willow Cottage, Anytown. Then there’s when it’s peeing down. Lovely job!!

Has already said, its certainly different to driving fridge trailers to rdc’s etc.
You will need adr with tanks in class 3 for heating oil or class 2 for lpg.
Some of the deliveries can be in the middle of nowhere, a set of phillips road maps hepls (sat is a waste of space for this type of work imoa).
Can be hard in winter with the weather, invest in some good thermal long johns & tops.
The tanks are usually hid in the far most corner of the back gardens making the delivery a full pull of the hose :slight_smile:
Take your time around corners these trucks have a high centre point of gravity so rollovers can happen at very slow speeds.

yeah that’s what a few have told me as well, walking through snow and slush and ■■■■■■■ rain. If the company keeps me after a hard graft in the winter season it could be a rewarding job possibly?

Evil8Beezle:
… think you should have put this on the main forum, as most drivers with experience probably won’t look here.

I’ve moved the other topic to here and merged the two topics into one. :smiley:

marko91:
yeah that’s what a few have told me as well, walking through snow and slush and ■■■■■■■ rain. If the company keeps me after a hard graft in the winter season it could be a rewarding job possibly?

Yes it can, I used to be on fridge trailers got a lucky break to get on gas tankers at the time it was a 5k pay drop but a lot less hours and no nights outs. So for me more time at home was more important then racing around after the big bucks.

Good man Dave…not to familiar with how the forum works yet. lol…
I used to deliver stuff in a 3.5 ton van a few years back and know how difficult it can be finding addresses at night and in the middle of nowhere. looking for house numbers etc some houses in the mountains for god sake. narrow roads with steep hills and no verges etc, snow and ice, etc. Think it might be a bit similar only with a bigger, heavier lorry? But if the pay is pretty decent and Monday to Friday work and probably some Saturdays, it might be worth it? whereas the fridge work I start at 10 in the morning and finish god only knows.lol

dieseldave:

Evil8Beezle:
… think you should have put this on the main forum, as most drivers with experience probably won’t look here.

I’ve moved the other topic to here and merged the two topics into one. :smiley:

Cheers Dave,

It’s a thread (answers/opinions) that I’m also interested in…

Hank Hill:
The tanks are usually hid in the far most corner of the back gardens making the delivery a full pull of the hose :slight_smile:

Not sure how common this is, as never done the job. But if you wanted to deliver to my mates place, you would be walking and dragging your hose through all sorts of animal muck to get to his tank. Wouldn’t bother me too much, but everyone is different…

Mark, if you want to know what the ADR course is like, I posted my experience of it here:

Thanks evil8, I read it there, would need to be listening intently in the class.lol

That job must be pretty stressful, I hope it is a good pay rate at least. :slight_smile:

As far as I know if you hold ADR your entitled to ÂŁ10 ph. But whether all companies comply with that is a different story.
I think the rate for domestic oil delivery drivers ranges between ÂŁ9-ÂŁ11 ph. maybe some places slightly higher or some slightly less?

note to self… don’t bother with ADR

Evil8Beezle:
…if you wanted to deliver to my mates place, you would be walking and dragging your hose through all sorts of animal muck to get to his tank. Wouldn’t bother me too much, but everyone is different…

Our firm (albeit on gas) won’t have it. Crap gets as far as the tyres and that’s it. On your hose then gloves then jacket then in the cab, doesn’t happen. A “no access” letter gets sent out explaining why.
Don’t usually have an issue with farms as the tanks are generally sited away from any livestock. It does amaze me how many back garden dog turd collectors there are out there though. They’re usually the ones who are prone to a run-out. Mingin’.

nickb67:

Evil8Beezle:
…if you wanted to deliver to my mates place, you would be walking and dragging your hose through all sorts of animal muck to get to his tank. Wouldn’t bother me too much, but everyone is different…

Our firm (albeit on gas) won’t have it. Crap gets as far as the tyres and that’s it. On your hose then gloves then jacket then in the cab, doesn’t happen. A “no access” letter gets sent out explaining why.
Don’t usually have an issue with farms as the tanks are generally sited away from any livestock. It does amaze me how many back garden dog turd collectors there are out there though. They’re usually the ones who are prone to a run-out. Mingin’.

the same folks usually have their garden fires near the tanks too :open_mouth:

Hank Hill:
…the same folks usually have their garden fires near the tanks too :open_mouth:

Indeed.
The ridiculous amount of strategically-placed expensive ornamental wild animals is a different ballgame altogether though.
I hate ornamental wild animals… :imp:

nickb67:

Hank Hill:
…the same folks usually have their garden fires near the tanks too :open_mouth:

Indeed.
The ridiculous amount of strategically-placed expensive ornamental wild animals is a different ballgame altogether though.
I hate ornamental wild animals… :imp:

mmmmm… lets put this really heavy stone ornamental on top the lid of the underground tank :unamused:

Hi I’m in Ireland doing this at the min. It’s great … It helps as I grew up doing it. There is benefits to it . It’s day work. Always local drops . Radius 30 -40 miles. Some house are easy to deliver and some not. Reverse camera helps when reversing into houses with narrow walls. Yes you will need an adr but it’s nice work. There was a job up in indeed there with good money.