Definitely not Eddies' telly - here we go:

I’ve just put the first part of our new Trucking TV video online: part 1 of our first Driver’s Day clip series, taking a day out with owner/driver Chris Bultitude delivering fresh salad and veg from the DFDS Ferry Terminal at Felixstowe.

It’s a bit of an experiment to get a more realistic approach to showing what truck drivers do every day, and during this first series there will no doubt be mistakes and errors in representing a driver’s life and work more accurately than the famous ES series on telly. I’ll be glad to have comments, and hear what you think.

I think there’ll be 2 or 3 further parts in this series, the next part coming up on Friday. If you or your company would like to be involved, I’d be glad to hear from you - send me a message if you like.

looking good, but lets wait for a days filming when it all goes ■■■■ up :slight_smile:

I’m hoping for it, Wullie! :laughing:

Dipping the oil with the engine running :confused:

Suedehead:
Dipping the oil with the engine running :confused:

He seemed to be doing everything with the engine running!
He must be doing well to be able to afford to waste all that fuel everyday as well as being able to afford to run and pimp up a V8. I did notice though he couldn’t afford a pair of steel toe cap boots!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Beef:
pimp up a V8.

You call that pimp, I’d call that a monstrosity, no need for all that junk in the windscreen and all those illegal lights on the front

Is it a competition to see how many things he can put his nickname on?

I agree about the truck. Looks a mess and I’d be ■■■■■■ off heading towards a truck with 4000 lights on the front.

Well done Chris for your efforts. You are playing to a tough crowd here though.

Drum and bass playing before 6am in the morning?? Each to there own I suppose…

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Its interesting to see what people comment on, Casper. We’ve got a couple more episodes from this Driver’s Day, and there are one of two items that are a bit more contentious - we’ll have to see what people make of those.

The best thing at this point is the sheer number of people who have watched in few hours this episode has been online - around 200 on Youtube, but around 1,700 on Facebook - it proves that there is a serious audience for this kind of channel and content.

Berty, I got Chris to turn it off so as not to make the sound-track too difficult . .

ChrisG46:
Its interesting to see what people comment on, Casper. We’ve got a couple more episodes from this Driver’s Day, and there are one of two items that are a bit more contentious - we’ll have to see what people make of those.

The best thing at this point is the sheer number of people who have watched in few hours this episode has been online - around 200 on Youtube, but around 1,700 on Facebook - it proves that there is a serious audience for this kind of channel and content.

Berty, I got Chris to turn it off so as not to make the sound-track too difficult . .

I don’t mean to be a ■■■■ or anything, but in the start of the video you said that you are being invited out by these drivers. Al tho I’ve been doing this since leaving school too, and commercial since leaving the forces. This truck in this episode is something I would be embarrassed to drive. i just think you should think a little more about who you go out with on their rounds.

I’m not sure how many owner drivers are on this forum, nor care, but to get anywhere close to that you need a decent bank roll and contacts. Most of us are you average joe just trying to provide for our families, working for a company. This is something I think you should try and show to people wanting to get into the industry.

Take your point, Tommy, but in fact I’m open to an invite from anyone, with any HGV vehicle - had 2 invites via facebook today. Chris just happened to be interested when I was filming the Swedefest truck show last month, so he was up to see what happened, and so was I. I will be doing a day or two soon with a small, 5 truck outfit soon, but I think the most difficult people to work with will be the bigger firms, who will want to control what happens

I don’t really want to make choices about this - I’ll be happy do a day with anyone sensible!

tommymanc:

Beef:
pimp up a V8.

You call that pimp, I’d call that a monstrosity, no need for all that junk in the windscreen and all those illegal lights on the front

and one of them had a bulb out.

ChrisG46:
I’ll be happy do a day with anyone sensible!

Good luck with that one on here then … :laughing:

Would that be Shifty by any chance? :unamused:

tommymanc:

ChrisG46:

I don’t mean to be a ■■■■ or anything, but in the start of the video you said that you are being invited out by these drivers. Al tho I’ve been doing this since leaving school too, and commercial since leaving the forces. This truck in this episode is something I would be embarrassed to drive. i just think you should think a little more about who you go out with on their rounds.

I’m not sure how many owner drivers are on this forum, nor care, but to get anywhere close to that you need a decent bank roll and contacts. Most of us are you average joe just trying to provide for our families, working for a company. This is something I think you should try and show to people wanting to get into the industry.

I don’t personally know Shifty, but am good friends with some of the lads who also pimp up their wagons to that extreme. They are all average guys, but just have that drive to want heir own rig, done to their own taste. Its not about having the best work, for heavens sake he’s on dock traction, or serious cash in the bank, its about being able to indulge yourself without the worry of management edicts. These lads aren’t taking a grand a week in wages, but turning that cash over into pimping the truck, and on that its each to their own. But they all rise and fall on their own efforts, and that choice of life and the insecurity it brings is the flipside to having your own truck. So I wont knock the lad from the security of my salaried pay packet, even if his truck isn’t to my taste.

I will watch more of those well done :wink:

Is it possible to score under 50 on fleetboard? :stuck_out_tongue:

eddie snax:
I don’t personally know Shifty, but am good friends with some of the lads who also pimp up their wagons to that extreme. They are all average guys, but just have that drive to want heir own rig, done to their own taste. Its not about having the best work, for heavens sake he’s on dock traction, or serious cash in the bank, its about being able to indulge yourself without the worry of management edicts. These lads aren’t taking a grand a week in wages, but turning that cash over into pimping the truck, and on that its each to their own. But they all rise and fall on their own efforts, and that choice of life and the insecurity it brings is the flipside to having your own truck. So I wont knock the lad from the security of my salaried pay packet, even if his truck isn’t to my taste.
:

I admit I didn’t watch it right through, I think this type of stuff is more for those who are not in the game, I personally can not see the attraction of watching someone on film doing the same job as me, and I would think that most drivers where the job is no longer a novelty would feel the same.
As for the Stobart programme I suffered a couple of episodes just to watch with amusement, not to mention amazement to see how far up their own arses they have gone over the years :stuck_out_tongue:

I too noticed he dipped his oil with the engine running, wtf was that all about exactly?

If what you say is true :open_mouth: … that he and others like him are only owner drivers just to plough their money into pimping their trucks up to that level of bad taste :open_mouth: … well all I can say is the mentality of the owner driver has changed beyond recognition since I used to do it.
Why put yourself through all the worry, pitfalls and potential debt just to be a ‘look at me in my big truck’ type :unamused: . Surely better to get a job and pimp up your own car if you crave that type of attention than pretend to be a seious own buisnessman which is what an owner ought to be imo.

Anyway what I would say to the guy making these films is this…

Not knocking you mate, anybody who can put us in a good light with the public is ok by me, so fair play to you.

As I said I did not watch the film right through, so if I missed something positive I am maybe being a bit harsh and I apologise if so, but is this type of driver/truck a wise choice to create a positive spin for trucks and their drivers if this is your agenda…just saying.

robroy:

eddie snax:
:

I admit I didn’t watch it right through, I think this type of stuff is more for those who are not in the game, I personally can not see the attraction of watching someone on film doing the same job as me, and I would think that most drivers where the job is no longer a novelty would feel the same.
As for the Stobart programme I suffered a couple of episodes just to watch with amusement, not to mention amazement to see how far up their own arses they have gone over the years :stuck_out_tongue:

I too noticed he dipped his oil with the engine running, wtf was that all about exactly?

If what you say is true :open_mouth: … that he and others like him are only owner drivers just to plough their money into pimping their trucks up to that level of bad taste :open_mouth: … well all I can say is the mentality of the owner driver has changed beyond recognition since I used to do it.
Why put yourself through all the worry, pitfalls and potential debt just to be a ‘look at me in my big truck’ type :unamused: . Surely better to get a job and pimp up your own car if you crave that type of attention than pretend to be a seious own buisnessman which is what an owner ought to be imo.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that that is their sole motivation, but its obvious that having their own name on the door has given carte blanch to their wildest dreams. The point I was getting at, was that he wasn’t on crackingly well paid work and I’m sure he doesn’t have a huge sum in the bank, just an ordinary guy.

As I said Its not to my taste, but I never had the balls to risk My house and become an OD, so credit to you Rob and to Shifty and his dubious livery :wink:

eddie snax:
for heavens sake he’s on dock traction, or serious cash in the bank, its about being able to indulge yourself without the worry of management edicts.

and that choice of life and the insecurity it brings is the flipside to having your own truck. So I wont knock the lad from the security of my salaried pay packet, even if his truck isn’t to my taste.

I will watch more of those well done :wink:

I think I didn’t make myself clear enough, when I said serious money in the bank I didn’t mean making it. I mean to get started tractor units are not cheep even second hand, and it#s going to take a long while before you even see a profit from it. Then you have to worry about all the maintenance costs.

Don’t get me wrong anyone that owns their own truck has my respect, as finding working and maintaining the truck must be a job within it’s self. I would consider these people the creme lé creme of the industry, as I would like to think as a driver, I’ve thought what it would be like to own a fleet of trucks and as many not if all have thought the same.