Definitely not Eddies' telly - here we go:

don’t think much of his music,that would do my nut in ,horrible

Thanks for the interesting comments - I’ve had several other bits of feedback, and appreciate it all.

Tommymac, I know Chris bought his truck second-hand, on the book, and finished paying for it not very long ago. I can’t say that I know Chris at all well, but he comes across as a straightforward and decent young man who is devoted to his wife and kids. I do know that he wants to build up his business, so more power to him, from my point of view.

On the oil check topic, someone sent me this comment: “oil is to be checked cold and engine running to release any air bubbles for a true reading level…”

tommymanc:

eddie snax:
for heavens sake he’s on dock traction, or serious cash in the bank, its about being able to indulge yourself without the worry of management edicts.

and that choice of life and the insecurity it brings is the flipside to having your own truck. So I wont knock the lad from the security of my salaried pay packet, even if his truck isn’t to my taste.

I will watch more of those well done :wink:

I think I didn’t make myself clear enough, when I said serious money in the bank I didn’t mean making it. I mean to get started tractor units are not cheep even second hand, and it#s going to take a long while before you even see a profit from it. Then you have to worry about all the maintenance costs.

Don’t get me wrong anyone that owns their own truck has my respect, as finding working and maintaining the truck must be a job within it’s self. I would consider these people the creme lé creme of the industry, as I would like to think as a driver, I’ve thought what it would be like to own a fleet of trucks and as many not if all have thought the same.

Not ever having got any further than a day dream, I don’t know how much it would take to start as an owner driver, I know that the ministry want you to have access to a fixed sum which I believe is about £6000, but as for the purchase of a lorry, well I would have thought that if you had a reasonable deposit then the rest on finance that would get you up and running, cash to get tax and insurance, maybe cash to manage a couple off months before payments start to roll in, how much that would come to I wouldn’t know, but I’m sure a tidy 5 figure sum would get you started, the thing is though would you put if you had it in the bank,just as a ball park figure £30000 into a truck or a house :question: I would put into a house, and that’s why I’ll always be an employed driver, and never strike out on my own :wink:

ChrisG46:
On the oil check topic, someone sent me this comment: “oil is to be checked cold and engine running to release any air bubbles for a true reading level…”

The reason the engine needs to be off is so the oil can rest in the sump…

robroy:

eddie snax:
I don’t personally know Shifty, but am good friends with some of the lads who also pimp up their wagons to that extreme. They are all average guys, but just have that drive to want heir own rig, done to their own taste. Its not about having the best work, for heavens sake he’s on dock traction, or serious cash in the bank, its about being able to indulge yourself without the worry of management edicts. These lads aren’t taking a grand a week in wages, but turning that cash over into pimping the truck, and on that its each to their own. But they all rise and fall on their own efforts, and that choice of life and the insecurity it brings is the flipside to having your own truck. So I wont knock the lad from the security of my salaried pay packet, even if his truck isn’t to my taste.
:

I admit I didn’t watch it right through, I think this type of stuff is more for those who are not in the game, I personally can not see the attraction of watching someone on film doing the same job as me, and I would think that most drivers where the job is no longer a novelty would feel the same.
As for the Stobart programme I suffered a couple of episodes just to watch with amusement, not to mention amazement to see how far up their own arses they have gone over the years :stuck_out_tongue:

I too noticed he dipped his oil with the engine running, wtf was that all about exactly?

If what you say is true :open_mouth: … that he and others like him are only owner drivers just to plough their money into pimping their trucks up to that level of bad taste :open_mouth: … well all I can say is the mentality of the owner driver has changed beyond recognition since I used to do it.
Why put yourself through all the worry, pitfalls and potential debt just to be a ‘look at me in my big truck’ type :unamused: . Surely better to get a job and pimp up your own car if you crave that type of attention than pretend to be a seious own buisnessman which is what an owner ought to be imo.

Anyway what I would say to the guy making these films is this…

Not knocking you mate, anybody who can put us in a good light with the public is ok by me, so fair play to you.

As I said I did not watch the film right through, so if I missed something positive I am maybe being a bit harsh and I apologise if so, but is this type of driver/truck a wise choice to create a positive spin for trucks and their drivers if this is your agenda…just saying.

Those who live in frilly curtains shouldn’t throw clogs. :wink:

Just moved this post to the bottom of the thread, so more people can see it!

Own Account Driver:

robroy:

eddie snax:
I don’t personally know Shifty, but am good friends with some of the lads who also pimp up their wagons to that extreme. They are all average guys, but just have that drive to want heir own rig, done to their own taste. Its not about having the best work, for heavens sake he’s on dock traction, or serious cash in the bank, its about being able to indulge yourself without the worry of management edicts. These lads aren’t taking a grand a week in wages, but turning that cash over into pimping the truck, and on that its each to their own. But they all rise and fall on their own efforts, and that choice of life and the insecurity it brings is the flipside to having your own truck. So I wont knock the lad from the security of my salaried pay packet, even if his truck isn’t to my taste.
:

I admit I didn’t watch it right through, I think this type of stuff is more for those who are not in the game, I personally can not see the attraction of watching someone on film doing the same job as me, and I would think that most drivers where the job is no longer a novelty would feel the same.
As for the Stobart programme I suffered a couple of episodes just to watch with amusement, not to mention amazement to see how far up their own arses they have gone over the years :stuck_out_tongue:

I too noticed he dipped his oil with the engine running, wtf was that all about exactly?

If what you say is true :open_mouth: … that he and others like him are only owner drivers just to plough their money into pimping their trucks up to that level of bad taste :open_mouth: … well all I can say is the mentality of the owner driver has changed beyond recognition since I used to do it.
Why put yourself through all the worry, pitfalls and potential debt just to be a ‘look at me in my big truck’ type :unamused: . Surely better to get a job and pimp up your own car if you crave that type of attention than pretend to be a seious own buisnessman which is what an owner ought to be imo.

Anyway what I would say to the guy making these films is this…

Not knocking you mate, anybody who can put us in a good light with the public is ok by me, so fair play to you.

As I said I did not watch the film right through, so if I missed something positive I am maybe being a bit harsh and I apologise if so, but is this type of driver/truck a wise choice to create a positive spin for trucks and their drivers if this is your agenda…just saying.

Those who live in frilly curtains shouldn’t throw clogs. :wink:

Really can’t see the connection bud tbh, unless you explain it :neutral_face:

My point was that as a wide generalisation (and I am going to get some stick for this :blush: ) most guys (not all) who drive the type of truck that this guy has…ie completely over the top bling , too many lights, bars every ■■■■ where, chromed up to the eyeballs (resulting in a creation of a monument to bad taste :unamused: ) are usually (sorry guys) terminal attention seekers, the… ‘look at me I’m a big trucker me’ type.

Now I don’t know this ‘Shifty’ guy from Adam, so not judging him personally here, ( but again generalising) …most of them drive like aggressive dicks , tailgating, speeding and all the rest of it which does not put us in a good light with other road users and the genersl public, also these motors also look quite aggressive by their nature, which creates predjudice in the first instance.
Now we all know we are mostly hated, and unfortunately the rest of us tend to be negatively judged by these guy’s actions, as they are the ones who stand out.

So, if anybody thinks I am taiking ■■■■■■■■ here, fair do.s, I have been known to :smiley: , but it’s just my opinion, so no offence intended to the guys who have these trucks but do not drive like dicks, and that is all.

(Still can’t see the curtain connection though :neutral_face: )

I thought you had frilly curtains?

Once upon a time Shifty probably just had frilly curtains it’s how it starts…

The second part of this video is now online, but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post it/paste it in. Your Forum Manager, DieselDave, thinks that I may be trying to steal people from this commercial forum, but I don’t have much interest in that - just wanted to spread a real-life view of drivers, and truck-driving as a job, by making the occasional movie . . .

Thanks for all your interest and contributions to the start of the discussion, gentlemen, and a special thanks to the people and firms who’ve said that they’d like to be involved in filming more - we’re filming with the first one next Wednesday! Trucking TV will be continuing, just not here . . .

Own Account Driver:

Ok :smiley: , look out for me in a couple of years, I’ll be the guy driving this.

Note I’ve ditched the curtains and went for the plain brown paper look. :smiley: not a tassle in sight.

(I bet some on here think it looks good. :neutral_face: )

ChrisG46:
Thanks for the interesting comments - I’ve had several other bits of feedback, and appreciate it all.

Tommymac, I know Chris bought his truck second-hand, on the book, and finished paying for it not very long ago. I can’t say that I know Chris at all well, but he comes across as a straightforward and decent young man who is devoted to his wife and kids. I do know that he wants to build up his business, so more power to him, from my point of view.

“Someone” sent that oil check comment: Probably not a Scania engineer, or mechanic, or pretty much anyone who has even basic diy knowledge.
R T F M !

/www.manualslib.com/manual/834504/Scania-D11.html?page=15

I dunno who he was, Franglais . . . just someone under a netname on a website . .

robroy:

Own Account Driver:

Ok :smiley: , look out for me in a couple of years, I’ll be the guy driving this.

Note I’ve ditched the curtains and went for the plain brown paper look. :smiley: not a tassle in sight.

Christ

The Child Catcher doesn’t drive a Scania but if he did it would probably be one that looks like this.

Own Account Driver:

robroy:

Own Account Driver:

Christ

The Child Catcher doesn’t drive a Scania but if he did it would probably be one that looks like this.

:laughing: :laughing:

robroy:
My point was that as a wide generalisation (and I am going to get some stick for this :blush: ) most guys (not all) who drive the type of truck that this guy has…ie completely over the top bling , too many lights, bars every [zb] where, chromed up to the eyeballs (resulting in a creation of a monument to bad taste :unamused: ) are usually (sorry guys) terminal attention seekers, the… ‘look at me I’m a big trucker me’ type.

Now I don’t know this ‘Shifty’ guy from Adam, so not judging him personally here, ( but again generalising) …most of them drive like aggressive dicks , tailgating, speeding and all the rest of it which does not put us in a good light with other road users and the genersl public, also these motors also look quite aggressive by their nature, which creates predjudice in the first instance.
Now we all know we are mostly hated, and unfortunately the rest of us tend to be negatively judged by these guy’s actions, as they are the ones who stand out.

So, if anybody thinks I am taiking ■■■■■■■■ here, fair do.s, I have been known to :smiley: , but it’s just my opinion, so no offence intended to the guys who have these trucks but do not drive like dicks, and that is all.

(Still can’t see the curtain connection though :neutral_face: )

You make fair and valid points, obviously if you make your truck stand out to the extent that Shifty has, then you obviously want to be seen, why you would wish to draw attention to yourself I’ve never been able to fathom.

What I will say though is that given that to drive on holiday relief or some of the sheds that I had the misfortune to roll my bed into when cab hopping, I’d take Shifty’s truck any day of the week. From my experience cab hopping a number of years ago, those that pimped the outside, were fastidious with the cleanliness of the inside, and those that couldn’t be arsed to even get some one else to wash the outside let alone do it themselves, well don’t want to even wonder what the inside looked like, less truck more wheelie bin :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: where would you want to be :wink:

On the issue of aggressive driving, I wouldn’t like to say that a blinged up trucks truck driver is more aggressive than others of that mindset, its that they make themselves so ■■■■ obvious :wink:

One of the lads I know that blinged up his company truck :open_mouth: told me one day that it was professional pride, I told him my professional pride is to get the load to its destination on time and in one piece, and to return the truck to the yard at the end of the week in the same condition that it left, with the bare minimum of fuss :wink:

Eddie Snax - I think you’re right about the internal cleanliness issue - all the trucks that I’ve seen that are primped up on the outside seem to be extremely clean and tidy on the inside too. Were I an employer or manager, both of which roles I have had, though not in transport, I’d encourage my guys to do this because it means that they really are taking care of THEIR truck, MY asset. If I had guys working for me who I really wanted to keep, and their trucks were a credit to the firm, I’d do something like decal the trucks with something “your deliveries made with care by (driver’s name)”. Costs little, and people would love it . . .

The other point to note is that Shifty said (in a later episode, I think, not online here) that his truck’s decoration is a great icebreaker. While we were waiting to tip on one site. someone came up for a chat because they liked the paint job. TBH, were I an owner/driver wanting to expand my business, I’d try to find some way of exploiting my trucks looks to attract more of the business I particularly wanted.

In addition, I’ll try to find someone to talk to Trucking TV about how being an owner driver works - be interesting. I think, to a number of drivers here and in other places who’ve sounded a bit tempted by the idea.

ChrisG46:
Eddie Snax - I think you’re right about the internal cleanliness issue - all the trucks that I’ve seen that are primped up on the outside seem to be extremely clean and tidy on the inside too. Were I an employer or manager, both of which roles I have had, though not in transport, I’d encourage my guys to do this because it means that they really are taking care of THEIR truck, MY asset. If I had guys working for me who I really wanted to keep, and their trucks were a credit to the firm, I’d do something like decal the trucks with something “your deliveries made with care by (driver’s name)”. Costs little, and people would love it . . .

The other point to note is that Shifty said (in a later episode, I think, not online here) that his truck’s decoration is a great icebreaker. While we were waiting to tip on one site. someone came up for a chat because they liked the paint job. TBH, were I an owner/driver wanting to expand my business, I’d try to find some way of exploiting my trucks looks to attract more of the business I particularly wanted.

In addition, I’ll try to find someone to talk to Trucking TV about how being an owner driver works - be interesting. I think, to a number of drivers here and in other places who’ve sounded a bit tempted by the idea.

Well here’s an exception to your rule (and I know numerous more) …My truck does not look like it belongs to the circus from the outside, but the interior is spotless, that is so because I basically live in it and I don’t like living in ■■■■.

As for you as an owner encouraging drivers to spend money on your truck, good idea, who wouldn’t if the driver was daft enough to do it, saving you money on as you said, YOUR asset .
(different to an o/d as it is his own asset)
but surely you don’t mean to the level of it becoming an embarrassment to be seen in by every other driver who is not an exhibitionist.
Not everyone has the same taste, or in this case not everyone has (to be harsh) ■■■■ poor taste…(not you the other guy)

As for being tempted and tempting drivers into being o/drivers…do you really want that on your conscience? :smiley:

Better to encourage them to save some time, cut out the middlemen, and torch their cash. :bulb:

However that said mate, you are doing a good job by trying to raise the profile of the job and industry to the public, so you are ok by me.
I would say be careful that you do not put us in a bad light and maintain our dwindling reputation with other road users and the general public who see your films.
Most of us more low profile drivers would never appear on camera for various reasons, I aint saying that Shifty guy was the wrong type, but as I said before the public have negative perceptions towards us (unfortunately mostly justified because of the actions of a certain few:roll: ) so, better for us for you to surprise them than to vindicate them. :bulb:

I’m doing the best I can, Robroy . . that’s all I can do!

As far as the owner/driver thing is concerned, don’t automatically assume that I’ll be recommending it - I’ll talk to people who are existing o/ds if I can, and to the people who employ them. I should think they are the people who can recommend it or not, and their opinions will be based on experience.

Incidentally, I’d also like to know more about drivers experiences around Calais - if you have some video or stills, I’d like to see them. I’d like to see if I have the courage to ride through the migrants myself . .

ChrisG46:
I’m doing the best I can, Robroy . . that’s all I can do!

As far as the owner/driver thing is concerned, don’t automatically assume that I’ll be recommending it - I’ll talk to people who are existing o/ds if I can, and to the people who employ them. I should think they are the people who can recommend it or not, and their opinions will be based on experience.

Incidentally, I’d also like to know more about drivers experiences around Calais - if you have some video or stills, I’d like to see them. I’d like to see if I have the courage to ride through the migrants myself . .

Yeh I know you are doing your best mate, and as I said I like in principle what you u are doing, and what your aims are…, so yeh, not really criticicising you at all for doing it, just giving my (maybe unwanted :blush: :smiley: ) twopennyworth.

The owner driver thing, been there and would not recommend it, but would never knock anyone for trying it out.
As for Calais, just doing dull mundane UK work nowadays, have not shipped out for about 7 years now, so can’t help you on that.
Cheers.

ChrisG46:

There’s a difference to keeping a truck clean and tidy, and pimping it up. Most firms nowadays run trucks on lease, and the lease terms generally don’t allow for modifications. Though putting drivers names on the doors or any kind off livery would not contravene a lease agreement.

robroy:

ChrisG46:
Eddie Snax - I think you’re right about the internal cleanliness issue - all the trucks that I’ve seen that are primped up on the outside seem to be extremely clean and tidy on the inside too. .

Well here’s an exception to your rule (and I know numerous more) …My truck does not look like it belongs to the circus from the outside, but the interior is spotless, that is so because I basically live in it and I don’t like living in [zb].

Me too Rob, keep my living space clean and tidy. Wash the outside mostly once a week though sometime will go 2 weeks, but I’ve never polished a truck on the outside in my life :smiley: neither does my truck look like it belongs in the circus,

I once had an employer who wanted to put a low bar with spots on the new truck he getting Me, til I pointed out that where he was going to affix it was where the towing eye bracket was :unamused: :unamused: He said you don’t no where to get stuck I said til I do then its all going ■■■■ up :unamused:

rivetting or not,its something to have a look at if youve nothing better to do,though id think mostly by complete newbies…and most of the truck looks like an old ■■■■■ comments will be made by those on plain basic spec donkeys that would have you slitting your wrists for the boredom aspect…it has to be easier on the eye for a video than stobats ■■■■ pc version…dave has 125 miles to go before he gets back to base with only 6 hours driving time left…and he will have to take a 45 in break soon !!! everywhere he went today then everybody was waiting on him and so pleased to see him that they were all friendly and obliging…daves mates all call him kitty…because he likes to strangle kittens on his day off from trucking…etcetc…brain numbing embarrasing to watch total pish that is so bad that it almost makes watching ice road lisa doing her rough tough seconds from a frozen disaster job bearable.(almost).