DEFECTS

wheeltapper:

phantom309:
i gotta say you get some bloody dodgy motors in your place lol

Every defect found is at roadside, I also have a few bad ones from vehicles presented at GVTS for test (Will look out)

I quite agree with a pg9 for the pics you have posted and i dont see anyone on here moaning about you doing your job, the photos show clearly serious defects, the only problem i have is the fact that your photos only seem to show the serious defects,(shock factor) and by that i mean the type of defect thats down right dangerous and that’s likely to cause a serious accident!
Your photos seem to imply that out of the vehicles you stop most defects you find are a serious risk to road safety.
As many hauliers know a pg9 can and will regularly be issued for more trivial defects such as a missing wing top or spray flap,blowing silencer, now whilst these are still defects the likelihood of causing a major issue to other road users is far less.
Just for an example i can tow a 33ft 44t spec tipper trailer one day that needs no spray suppression, sideguards,rear under-run bar and the next day a 33ft 44t spec flat trailer that needs all the above, now lets just say i managed to pull a spray flap off the flat trailer on site somewhere and then decide to drive the thing back to base for repair in the rain, does this make the flat trailer more dangerous than the tipper for not following the regulations to the letter of the law ?
Just for a bit of balance could we have some photo’s of the less than serious prohibitions that have been issued at the roadside please?

I have seen and commented on Wheeltappers photos in the past and am still shocked when I see them, most of the pictures are fairly basic items, tyres, wheel fixings and suspension units. Then who mentioned the CPC?

A week spent in the vehicle workshop would give the best training for a lorry driver especially to identify the broken or worn parts.

Tape over an ABS light is akin to putting a Guinness label in the windscreen. It is almost fraud.

Chrome wheel trims on coaches and buses should be illegal

abs lights showing on the dash in most cases wont alter the pressure to the service brakes, ie you still have full brakes, you might skid before you stop! as you often did before abs was invented and its not that long ago when you think about it,
Now “ebs” thats another matter altogether when that fails on more modern trucks you can loose your brakes altogether without warning never mind a light on the dash, never mind thats progress!

The tyres really scare me as that doesn’t happen in a week, someone hasn’t done their walk round checks for a real long time. I must confess I do occasionally miss the odd night or don’t go round everything every time, but it’s because I know it’s all pretty tight and make sure I do a full check every other night.

On cracked wheels, this came off the inner back wheel of one of our twin wheeled Transits, lucky I found it before it went really!

Any more pics ■■?

mark h:
Any more pics ■■?

I will put some on this weekend :smiling_imp:

Both air tanks about to drop off on a semi trailer

Wheel loss on M6

Rotten spring brake chambers

All taken in last few weeks

Apart fromthe wheel loss it’s got to be down to the fitters or lack of the fitters seeing them

Any more

mark h:
Apart fromthe wheel loss it’s got to be down to the fitters or lack of the fitters seeing them

Any more

Wheel loss can also be down to fitters/tyre fitters
(If fitted in the wrong manner wheels come off, gone are the days of a big bar and a grunt) torque wrench and re torque is important, drivers are not always to blame for wheel loss.

If you read the IRTE code of good practice for wheel removal and fitment, then watch your average fitter/tyre fitter you will see why they come off.
(Over torque stretches the studs and clamping force is lost over time/miles)

will look out some more pics

Wheels can be incorrectly tightened after being fitted if the nuts aren’t tightened at opposites with equal force…I have seen a novice do this and the nuts have reached the required torque with the wrench but the wheels have not been been squarely faced on the hub…this was seen in a workshop and quickly pointed out.

Spot the defect:

Wildy:
Spot the defect:

Garage heater blowing on wheel :slight_smile:

Wildy:
Spot the defect:

The wheel nuts are loose because none of those markers are pointing at each other. :smiley:

been sarcastic i would say that chocolate wheel nut indicators arent the best but generally i would believe the hub/brakes is getting a smudge hot

Were was that erf seen dan?

Malta, busmans holiday.

Tidy !! Bet there is some old classics like the erf still out there

mark h:
Tidy !! Bet there is some old classics like the erf still out there

there is, you see them advertised on Ebay regular :wink:

Wildy:
Spot the defect:

I would say the wheel bearing myself on this one Lol. Also seen this when the brakes stick on and melt them.

BUT ITS THE WHEEL BEARING.

Cheers Peter