DEFECTS

Here are a few more just in case you thought everything was OK out there, WHEELTAPPER

what are photos 2 and 3 of ? :slight_smile:

Lycanthrope:
what are photos 2 and 3 of ? :slight_smile:

2= Broken single leaf on a trailer

3= Load sensing valve linkage arm broken off on a Foden Tipper

wheeltapper:
Here are a few more just in case you thought everything was OK out there, WHEELTAPPER

Eeeewww (wince) :open_mouth: There was an episode of the NZ highway patrol on the box here the other week where a semi (a 6x2) had lost both wheels off one of the rear axles. One had gone down the road half a mile and over the armco, the other crossed the central barrier into oncoming lanes and gone through the front window of a bus. Ended up killing one of the passengers. Owner and especially the maintenance staff were later done following accident investigation, the maintenance crew got hit (rightly so) for allowing an unqualified apprentice to finish off a brake job unsupervised.

When you see the momentum truck wheels have at ~60mph and the damage they can cause that photo gives me the willies.

those are all very simple defects if you were what,s called on here as a profesonal driver
they would have been spotted long before the vehicle got in to that state
not many of you would think so
but if a driver understands how a vehicle works it’s second nature

now anyone who has done their cpc driver training will recognise all these points

i think not

A couple from the last few days
Spring pin and bush, the vehicle was 1 hour into a shift after being at a main agents the night before for a 6 week inspection ?

IVECO Daily steering rack mounting just about to come away after bracket failed

i gotta say you get some bloody dodgy motors in your place lol

phantom309:
i gotta say you get some bloody dodgy motors in your place lol

Every defect found is at roadside, I also have a few bad ones from vehicles presented at GVTS for test (Will look out)

keep em coming, good to see… here is one we had in our place last year, had a blowout on O/S drive axle, came in our place for new wings etc, they never noticed the little bit of tread bissing on the N/S

As a mechanic myself i am not suprised with some of the pictures. The mirror missing is a common one but there are some that really did get me thinking. HOW i mean HOW could you fit brake pads the wrong way thats like trying to back up to a trailer to hook up but getting the wrong end. worse ive ever seen is where only 4 out of the 12 wheel nuts where actually attached ill try and find a coupe of picture

I dont think some of the main dealers are worth paying in buttons. I had a truck PMI’d and they never touched a grease gun or sprayed hinges and locks. missed the wash wipe being inop, but noticed a chip in the passenger side screen.

Cold Up North:
I dont think some of the main dealers are worth paying in buttons. I had a truck PMI’d and they never touched a grease gun or sprayed hinges and locks. missed the wash wipe being inop, but noticed a chip in the passenger side screen.

And then they complain saying they’ve got no work, R+M can be a terrible thing … perhaps if they did what they were payed for, its all chargable you know !

For me its quite often the quality and care of the individuals and how they are paid that makes the difference

I bet that bald tyre was on one of our eastern european friends trucks

wheeltapper:
After viewing the Wheel Nuts & Studs on the Scania in the Trucks In Africa Link, thought you might want to see a few pics from the UK on the defects subject.

10 of 10 wheel nuts loose

Trailer disc brake totally failed

Failed Centre Bearing

Insecure trailer brake chamber, brake does not function

Totally worn out tyre

Wheeltapper, a good public service you are performing here, just look at the comments of shock and horror and dare I say it ignorance of what goes up and down our roads on a daily basis.

It may also help those that are maybe a little lax/selective viewing when they are doing their daily checks, assuming they do and don’t sit at the steering wheel ticking the boxes if indeed they even do that, to look in the necessary places.

Beware of the bumpy ride, vitreol and abuse that will no doubt follow and rise above it, Sir/Madam, (PC there, did you notice). I and am sure a few others commend you for posting here!

one example of how dealer technicians can be a bit dodgy is this-One of our low loader trailers had its six weekly (done by me) i found the Brake chamber mounting bracket had very large crack in it. we didnt have the wire required to weld the new one on and the time to do it in so we sent it to the dealer when i went to pick it up the technician tried to tell me there was an airleak so i listened-Not a sausage (i didnt believe him one bit) so i said cheers and drove round to our yard i then asked my foreman to listen he then said he heard nothing so we decided to send it out. If we had had a driver pick the trailer up we might not of been able to send it on a job and our pockets would of being a little lighter - so if in doubt get a second opinion

Looking at these pics you can see some people take alot of care of there trucks :smiley: ,problem is it gives everyone else a bad name but vosa would love more trucks like that so thay can make more money. At the end of the day if you run a truck like that you got to be able to live with yourself if you kill someone, but i think we all over look a few things so we can get where we need to be

fodenboy1:
one example of how dealer technicians can be a bit dodgy is this-One of our low loader trailers had its six weekly (done by me) i found the Brake chamber mounting bracket had very large crack in it. we didnt have the wire required to weld the new one on and the time to do it in so we sent it to the dealer when i went to pick it up the technician tried to tell me there was an airleak so i listened-Not a sausage (i didnt believe him one bit) so i said cheers and drove round to our yard i then asked my foreman to listen he then said he heard nothing so we decided to send it out. If we had had a driver pick the trailer up we might not of been able to send it on a job and our pockets would of being a little lighter - so if in doubt get a second opinion

i had a VOSA inspector tell me that when one of my vehicles got pulled for a spot check

it was the cab levelling valve doing its job :unamused: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

as a technician myself i take pride in my work I would never make work up the work i write down on a job sheets are essential for the vehicle to operate safely… funnily enough while at the leeds MOT test station one of our technicians got talking to one of the better vosa blokes and apparently VOSA have started employing people from non technical backgrounds there was a bit of a hoohaa after some of them were reving the engines to build the air up and turning them strait off and damaging the turbos

fodenboy1:
VOSA have started employing people from non technical backgrounds there was a bit of a hoohaa after some of them were reving the engines to build the air up and turning them strait off and damaging the turbos

and i bet vosa wouldn’t be responsable if any engine fatial damage occured due to them building up air like that./…

i believe VOSA sent them on a course but im a little dubious that they havent worked on wagons before so they wont know certain traits I.e older daf 45s suffer problems with kingpins and the hubs. i dont know maybe its me but thats how i feel