Dealing with big chain stores

Hi guys,

I would really appreciate some sound advice based on your professional experiences. I have a 40 tonne truck and fridge trailer I inherited, rather that sell it and cash in, I thought I try drum up some business with the big supermarkets like tesco, asda, aldi etc, Has anyone dealt with this big chain stores ? how do I go about negotiating and pricing? don’t want to look to expensive, cheap or inexperienced. Any advice will be highly appreciated, thanks

sell it…

I think yo’ll find they they tell you what the rate is, not the other way round. :stuck_out_tongue:

You don’t say where you are Ralph? What truck is it? Possibly rent it out to a new starter?

Hi its a Scania G series 2012 diesel, I am in Swindon, I think giving it a shot business wise would be better than throwing in the towel and selling it.

Harry Monk:
I think yo’ll find they they tell you what the rate is, not the other way round. :stuck_out_tongue:

what if I am cornered to propose a rate :open_mouth:

All them boys will want you to pull their trailer not yours, they will also only run you when it suits them & forget your name for 3 months after xmas, if you are cool with that then GO. £2 a mile (or plus) on traction is fair enough i think, You can go down to £1.60 depending on mileage, weight, shift time but don’t go less than that or you’re not really doing it right.

My advice, ring local food companies or pharma companies (gold, probably won’t even speak to you), primary rate that ■■■■■ one way, £350 to £500, £50 extra drop. back load him if you can although tremendous dicking around back loading fridges.

The big boys (NFT/Solstor) charge a flat £25+ odd per pallet for big contracts (dunno if that’s pallet network faffing around included in that). Great if you go ten miles down the road but you may have to loss lead the scotch work which with population density from Swindon should be gold.

I was told (and I have no idea if it’s true) by an operator that the new Lidl RDC in Northfleet is paying £500 a day for subbies.

Harry Monk:
I was told (and I have no idea if it’s true) by an operator that the new Lidl RDC in Northfleet is paying £500 a day for subbies.

TescoNI are paying 550pounds per 10hr shift to McBurney/Blair/Bell Transport to pull their trailers as they can’t cover the loads with agency drivers anymore.

You’d think there was a driver shortage or something??!!! :grimacing:

Silver_Surfer:
All them boys will want you to pull their trailer not yours, they will also only run you when it suits them & forget your name for 3 months after xmas, if you are cool with that then GO. £2 a mile (or plus) on traction is fair enough i think, You can go down to £1.60 depending on mileage, weight, shift time but don’t go less than that or you’re not really doing it right.

My advice, ring local food companies or pharma companies (gold, probably won’t even speak to you), primary rate that ■■■■■ one way, £350 to £500, £50 extra drop. back load him if you can although tremendous dicking around back loading fridges.

The big boys (NFT/Solstor) charge a flat £25+ odd per pallet for big contracts (dunno if that’s pallet network faffing around included in that). Great if you go ten miles down the road but you may have to loss lead the scotch work which with population density from Swindon should be gold.

seems like the likes of Tesco , Lidl etc are charging hourly rates, is it safer quoting hourly rather than mileage

Before you start getting quotes for rates etc,
Did you “inherit” the operator licence as well as the truck/trailer?? :neutral_face:

Big Truck:
Did you “inherit” the operator licence as well as the truck/trailer?? :neutral_face:

You beat me too it :wink: I was wondering about the O licence / CPC Holder situation :question: :question:

IANAL but I believe that in the event of the death of an O Licence holder, the person carrying on the business can be treated as the licence holder for up to 12 months under Regulation 31 of the Goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) Regulations 1995.

Harry Monk:
IANAL but I believe that in the event of the death of an O Licence holder, the person carrying on the business can be treated as the licence holder for up to 12 months under Regulation 31 of the Goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) Regulations 1995.

That may be ok, but what if the deceased was the CPC holder … does this mean the business could run for up to 12 Months with NO qualified CPC holder.
Not being funny … but any Tom / ■■■■ or Harry could then be running the business … with no concept of the rules / regulations :question:

Well, you can run for up to 18 months without a TM anyway.

12.6 Changes in Professional Personnel.

If the professionally competent person specified on a standard O licence leaves or can no longer carry out his duties due to physical disability or mental disorder, then the Traffic Commissioner must be informed, via the CLO using form GV80A. The Traffic Commissioner need not revoke the licence and may allow a reasonable period of time for the operator to find a replacement person who is professionally competent. The maximum time which may be allowed by the Traffic Commissioner is 18 months.

The Rustler:

Big Truck:

You beat me too it :wink: I was wondering about the O licence / CPC Holder situation :question: :question:

I had to apply a fresh licence with my brother whose a cpc holder and start a fresh… :smiley:

ralph67:

The Rustler:

Big Truck:

I had to apply a fresh licence with my brother whose a cpc holder and start a fresh… :smiley:

Ok, that makes it clearer … I’m sorry if my comment sounded a bit rude … wasn’t meant to be ? The way you asked the original question, it sounded as if you had just suddenly got a truck and didn’t know what to do :laughing: :laughing:

I don’t want to be the voice of doom, but when asked what truck you have, and the reply contains the word “diesel” I would suggest there is too much naivety to be running an artic/trailer combination.

TDL102:
I don’t want to be the voice of doom, but when asked what truck you have, and the reply contains the word “diesel” I would suggest there is too much naivety to be running an artic/trailer combination.

I thought that as I read it too. No mention of bhp, axle layout, etc. Is it plated at 40 tonne or 44?
If 40 presumably its a 4x2. Do you know what the fuel consumption (MPG) will be?

do everyone a favour…sell it,and cash in…if your gormless enough to have to ask your question on here,then your going to be a lamb to the slaughter and only a matter of time till you go ■■■■ up…simple as that, :confused: