Dealing with big chain stores

Big Truck:

Harry Monk:
I was told (and I have no idea if it’s true) by an operator that the new Lidl RDC in Northfleet is paying £500 a day for subbies.

TescoNI are paying 550pounds per 10hr shift to McBurney/Blair/Bell Transport to pull their trailers as they can’t cover the loads with agency drivers anymore.

You’d think there was a driver shortage or something??!!! :grimacing:

Shame the minges at Lichfield are only paying £400 else I’d be balls deep in to
them at £550. Think they may pay Eddie that & then try & ■■■■ Mr. Small.

dieseldog999:
do everyone a favour…sell it,and cash in…if your gormless enough to have to ask your question on here,then your going to be a lamb to the slaughter and only a matter of time till you go ■■■■ up…simple as that, :confused:

Bit harsh but if it saves him losing his house then it ain’t too far from the Cheeky mark.

ralph67:
Hi guys,

I would really appreciate some sound advice based on your professional experiences. I have a 40 tonne truck and fridge trailer I inherited, rather that sell it and cash in, I thought I try drum up some business with the big supermarkets like tesco, asda, aldi etc, Has anyone dealt with this big chain stores ? how do I go about negotiating and pricing? don’t want to look to expensive, cheap or inexperienced. Any advice will be highly appreciated, thanks

I don’t think the big supermarkets will deal directly with a one man band . They have highly organised distribution networks . If you did obtain any work, your would have to accept whatever rate they offer. Probably better to sell the truck and trailer and invest the money. Tesco shares are at a thirteen year low. Might be a good long term investment opportunity.

You can get in as a one man band but you need to know someone on the inside who will vouch for you.

We have been doing shop deliveries for tesco for 1 1/2 years,when we first started doing it we were doing 1 run and our depot said it was the best paying work they’d ever had ( much better than chilled which they made little or no profit on ,were now being told 1 1/2 years later even though in most cases were doing x2/x3 runs + back hauls that they can’t make money on shop deliveries and a little bit on chilled work.
10 trucks are now being put on container work and x amount took off shop deliveries ,they envisage eventually just doing container work + chilled .
So it seems a night driver picking up a container from docks / day driver delivering it pays more than a day/ night driver doing 2/3 shop deliveries back hauls :confused: :confused: :confused: .

Sell it and forget it. :unamused: :open_mouth:

I’d still be up for renting it or buying :slight_smile:

They will always play hard ball with their suppliers, that’s business. Try putting the price up too, watch them laugh.