dd on licence

Hi. I just got my class 2 license. I got a drink driving ban 9 and a half years ago . Didn’t realise that was still on my license . Is this going to make it hard for someone to take me on?

Nigh on impossible as most firms and agency’s will not take any one with DD or IN codes on licence
but being 91/2 years since shouldn’t matter but any excuse

1. How long endorsements stay on your driving record

Endorsements stay on your driving record for 4 or 11 years depending on the offence. This can start from either the date you’re convicted or the date of your offence.

The endorsement is ‘valid’ for the first:
##3 years, for a 4-year endorsement
##10 years, for an 11-year endorsement

A court can take your endorsement into account if both:
##you commit another offence while it’s valid
##the endorsement is still on your driving record when the court considers your case

Other people, eg insurers and employers, may be able to find out that you have the endorsement:
##any time during a 4-year endorsement
##during the first 5 years of an 11-year endorsement, or the first 30 months if you’re under 18

4 years from date of conviction

An endorsement will stay on a driving record for 4 years from the date of conviction if the offence:
##is for reckless/dangerous driving - shown on the driving record as DD40, DD60 and DD80
##results in disqualification

Example

Date of conviction 28 May 2011 - the endorsement must stay on the driving record until 28 May 2015.

4 years from the date of offence

In all other cases endorsements stay on your driving record for 4 years from the date of offence.

Example

Date of offence 10 June 2012 - the endorsement must stay on the driving record until 10 June 2016.

11 years from date of conviction

If the offence is:
##drink driving or drug driving - shown on the driving record as DR10, DR20, DR30, DR31, DR61 and DR80
##causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs – shown on the driving record as CD40, CD50 and CD60
##causing death by careless driving, then failing to provide a specimen for analysis – shown on the driving record as CD70

Example

Date of conviction 3 December 2009 - the endorsement must stay on the driving record until 3 December 2020.

Previous
Endorsement codes and penalty points

Next
New drivers

Print entire guide

Last updated: 9 September 2015

Driving licences

Driving disqualifications

More in Driving licences

Driving and transport

Drink-driving penalties

Speed limits

Speeding penalties

Find a drink-drive rehabilitation course

“How long does a drink drive conviction stay on my driving licence?
The conviction will be valid for 10 years and can be removed from your licence 11 years after the event.”
From drivingban.co.uk
So whether or not you find trouble getting a job now, (I have no knowledge on this) there is an end in sight. Not answering your original question, but may be helpful.
Edit: I was typing that as Blue Estate put up his much better reply.

As said above, nigh on impossible. When, in the past, I was tasked with hiring, first thing I did was check license. If any Drink Driving codes or IN codes, then the interview didn’t go ahead. This was for a very large company.

I suspect much will depend on your licence having been clean ever since. If it has, it’s proof that you made one mistake and learned your lesson albeit the hard way. If however you’ve got subsequent points for lesser sins, an employer will, quite reasonably, suspect that you don’t give your meal ticket (driving licence) the respect it deserves.

Much will also depend on individual company policy, or more to the point, the strictures placed upon them by their insurers. To that end, I’d be tempted towards knocking on the doors of smaller companies where the man you speak to first is more likely to be the decision-maker.

Driver-Once-More:
As said above, nigh on impossible. When, in the past, I was tasked with hiring, first thing I did was check license. If any DD or IN codes, then the interview didn’t go ahead. This was for a very large company.

DR is drink drive
DD is dangerous driving

Both viewed as serious

Some employers won’t take you, some will. I don’t think it would need to be declared to an insurance company, they normally only ask about convictions in the last five years.

I may be wrong but … Humour me.

Go to the DVLA online system, login with your licence number, national insurance number and post code gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Click on share my licence and then ‘generate a code’ (or whatever wording it uses). This will generate a PDF of your licence details. If you are lucky your DD won’t show.

Make a note of the unique number generated, log out then log in to the employers bit of the DVLA system using the code and last 8 characters of your licence number. gov.uk/check-driving-information

I tried this with someone who had a DR code older than 5 years - it didn’t show. Something to do with the rehabilitation of offenders and data protection act for online data.

Of course I may be wrong, but if I’m right it means your employers will not see the DD unless they use some kind of paid licence checking system or speak to the DVLA direct

As the offence is ‘spend’, you do not need to declare it to the insurance, or an employer for that matter. As a driver however, your employer will check your licence, so would know anyway. Many large companies, who are self insured anyway, will consider a drink drive on merit, and will employ a driver if the rest of his history (work and licence) shows up well.
Not many agencies will take you on. Depends if they have clients who would accept a drink drive conviction.

But if you are a new driver, you will really struggle to get a start.

I apologise it was dr not dd . Basically a company going to give me a chance next week I didn’t declare it . But they will probably look at my licence next week I was hoping because it was after 5 years I might be ok. Thanks for reply’s.

gavisaac:
I apologise it was dr not dd . Basically a company going to give me a chance next week I didn’t declare it . But they will probably look at my licence next week I was hoping because it was after 5 years I might be ok. Thanks for reply’s.

Might find yourself going home the same day. They’re not going to be exactly pleased about you being less than honest from the start which doesn’t look good and the daft part is they’d probably would’ve been OK with it being so long ago.

You could say you didn’t declare it because of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act which means that although the points are still on your license the conviction doesn’t have to be declared.

Try skip and tipper firms they pay high premiums as it’d seen as a high risk industry and there insurance is often a lot more flexible on convictions young drives etc

A job in Bristol said " any record of DD not accepted " out of interest would a DD show on a CRB check?

nick2008:
A job in Bristol said " any record of DD not accepted " out of interest would a DD show on a CRB check?

I would say yes as it’s a criminal conviction.

I had dr10 conviction December 06 with 12 months suspension on class 2 at the time.

Didn’t attempt to apply for jobs for 5 years,patiently waiting in hope that after 5 years of the conviction being spent I would get a second chance.

September 11,passed class 1,moved away to a different area and in September 2012 given a chance again on a rigid,12 months later full-time tramping with a nice new unit!

My employer was under the impression that after 6 years at the time this conviction should have been removed!

Basically,don’t give up mate,keep trying,you will get a break I’m sure if you want it,hope this helps!

shep532:
I may be wrong but … Humour me.

Go to the DVLA online system, login with your licence number, national insurance number and post code gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Click on share my licence and then ‘generate a code’ (or whatever wording it uses). This will generate a PDF of your licence details. If you are lucky your DD won’t show.

Make a note of the unique number generated, log out then log in to the employers bit of the DVLA system using the code and last 8 characters of your licence number. gov.uk/check-driving-information

I tried this with someone who had a DR code older than 5 ye
ars - it didn’t show. Something to do with the rehabilitation of offenders and data protection act for online data.

Of course I may be wrong, but if I’m right it means your employers will not see the DD unless they use some kind of paid licence checking system or speak to the DVLA direct

I’ve just done this and when I check using my ni number it shows an expired Dr as it was between 10 and 11 years back but when I check with a code comes back with nothing.

Driver-Once-More:

nick2008:

If that right I can see that question being asked more often rather than taking what’s on the licence.

nick2008:

Driver-Once-More:

nick2008:

If that right I can see that question being asked more often rather than taking what’s on the licence.

My last company insisted on a CRB check before being employed (they paid for it).

I think I should ring tomorrow and say I didn’t realise I still had it on there . I thought it was gone after 5 years . Better to be upfront with it as they will find out on tuesday any way

gavisaac:
I think I should ring tomorrow and say I didn’t realise I still had it on there . I thought it was gone after 5 years . Better to be upfront with it as they will find out on tuesday any way

Yes I would, you never know they might appreciate your honesty and keep you on anyway hopefully.