DCPC Training

I have been reading some of the posts on here regarding DCPC training, some of them quite amusing, but many of them incorrect, any other drivers feel that the information out there or being discussed in truck stops etc is giving a false representaion of the facts??

DCPCTRAINER:
I have been reading some of the posts on here regarding DCPC training, some of them quite amusing, but many of them incorrect, any other drivers feel that the information out there or being discussed in truck stops etc is giving a false representaion of the facts??

Yes. A lot of the rubbish talked is by other trainers who do not have the neccesary DCPC accreditation.

:laughing:

it’s normal to hear a lot of crap being talked between drivers. Understandably though, the vast majority aren’t happy about being “forced” to do it.

While we’re on the subject though, the majority seem to think it’ll cost circa £500, I’m sure it’s a myth - am I right and what sort of cost is realistic?

DCPCTRAINER:

Intersting opening post, but while leaving the post open to discussion you dont actualy back up with any statements with what you trying to say

I dont think anyone here will disagree that the drivers CPC in its present form is a joke, some here may agree that a more relevant and better structered CPC may have some relevance.

If you lnow better please impart your wisdom

DCPCTRAINER:

Which posts on here are incorrect :question:

My views:

DCPC Training is a complete waste of time and money etc etc

Unless it is dropped (unlikely?) we either have to do it or not.

If you don’t do it it may be possible to continue to drive unless you are stopped roadside etc etc.

I did mine for free under one of those college/government funded “gravy train” schemes. I have the certificates and the card and I am now going to try and forget all about it until 2019!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

The only people I have found in my working life who think it’s a good idea are the ones who are making LOTS of money out of it, i.e. the so called training companies and their staff.

At approx £100 per person per day they are truly extracting the urine…

somerset bus driver:
The only people I have found in my working life who think it’s a good idea are the ones who are making LOTS of money out of it, i.e. the so called training companies and their staff.

At approx £100 per person per day they are truly extracting the urine…

I will balance this a little

Training companies have to pay money annually to be approved and then more money to have each seperate course approved and then they have their usual business overheads as well as the amount of time involved to write and prepare each course

Money can be made but it would take lots of driver on every course for that to happen which is not the case at present

I would guess that many training companies are losing money at the moment because returns on their investments into this are less than their takings

Of course there is alwys the argument that if no-one offered these courses then the authorities would be in a bit of a pickle !!

ROG:
Which posts on here are incorrect :question:

Without going through and trying to find or quote them ROG, there seems to be a concencous that drivers will have to pay for it themselves, when in the vast majority of cases employed drivers won’t have to. And there seems to be the idea that everyone has to be ‘taught’ in a classroom, when thats not the case.
Ultimateley whilst everyone is saying its a waste of time etc… all it is is a requirement to undergo work based or related training. If needing or being forced to undergo some work related training is a waste of time them there’s no hope !!!

Mike-C:
Ultimateley whilst everyone is saying its a waste of time etc… all it is is a requirement to undergo work based or related training. If needing or being forced to undergo some work related training is a waste of time them there’s no hope !!!

We all need training, I don’t think anyone would say that they know it all, but it’s necessary and targetted training & testing for what we need that is the key - the Dcpc does not fit that requirement.

ROG:

Mike-C:

We all need training, I don’t think anyone would say that they know it all, but it’s necessary and targetted training & testing for what we need that is the key - the Dcpc does not fit that requirement.

Testing? We’ve already been tested. The requirement is for ongoing training? Anyway…

From Coates…

WE CURRENTLY HAVE 7 COURSES TO CHOOSE FROM

Fuel Economy Training
Drivers Hours & Tachograph including Working Time Directive
Maintanance, Daily Checks, Speed Limits, Driving Regulations, Signs and Restrictions
Health & Safety, Loading / Un Loading, PPE, Risk Assessments
Customer Service & Soft Skills
Lorry mounted crane (HIAB)
ADR (Dangerous Goods) This can count for 1,2 or 3 days

COURSES AVAILABLE FROM £40.00 + VAT + Download charge (£8.75 per 1 day course)

Mike-C:
Testing? We’ve already been tested.

Not on something new that we NEED - no point in training for something and then not being tested on it - without being tested there is no telling if the trainee has assimilated the training correctly or not.

Taking one of those courses… Drivers Hours & Tachograph including Working Time Directive…

The course contents are not subjected to any validity testing by anyone so the wrong info could be given to those attending :open_mouth: - (plenty of posts on here to back that up)

If the course is accurate then how does anyone know if those attending have correctly understood what is being told to them without some form of testing :question:

ROG:

Mike-C:
Testing? We’ve already been tested.

Not on something new that we NEED - no point in training for something and then not being tested on it - without being tested there is no telling if the trainee has assimilated the training correctly or not.

Right, so your gripe is that we need training and testing. So when you say the DCPC is a waste of time, when guys agree with you they’re agreeing for a completley different reason? Because as far as i see no one wants to do any training never mind testing.

ROG:
Taking one of those courses… Drivers Hours & Tachograph including Working Time Directive…

The course contents are not subjected to any validity testing by anyone so the wrong info could be given to those attending :open_mouth: - (plenty of posts on here to back that up)

If the course is accurate then how does anyone know if those attending have correctly understood what is being told to them without some form of testing :question:

Almost everywhere i have had an induction gives some sort of small test and instruction.The instruction as to where the fire exits are and the canteen was never subject to any validity testing, like wise the fuel pumps, car park and lorry park but somehow i managed !!! Even driving agencies will give you a small sort of questionare.
And ironically for Operator CPC holders there is no requirement for them to update, re train or anything else. There’s guys running trucks on CPC’s gained by grandfather rights, or obtained donkeys ago where the legislation has changed so much.I think if there was a constant need to test then they’d be required to do it before the rest of us as they bear much more responsability don’t they?
If the notion is that without ongoing valid training and testing you will not be a provable competent driver you’d better let everyone know that you aint able to pass the DSA driver trainer course !!! And thats how important it is.

Mike-C:
If the notion is that without ongoing valid training and testing you will not be a provable competent driver you’d better let everyone know that you aint able to pass the DSA driver trainer course !!! And thats how important it is.

LGV instructors get tested every time a trainee goes for a DSA test so whether DSA qualified or not it makes no difference.

ROG:

Mike-C:

LGV instructors get tested every time a trainee goes for a DSA test so whether DSA qualified or not it makes no difference.

Hows this panning out now? Every time i had an agency test or induction test i’ve passed it. So its only some people that need ‘valid training and testing’ ? LGV Instructors are either DSA qualified and tested or they’re not, if they’re not they’re apparently according to your theory ‘not valid’ ?

Actually ROG, a trainer who is indeed JAPUT qualified and therefore ‘valid’ may be better placed to tell us what we need?!!! :laughing:

ROG:

Really ROG■■

I’ve done some LGV instructing as have you, but I’ve NEVER been tested as an instructor for LGV, because there’s no actual legal requirement, even today. Whenever I was at a test station, the candidate went out with the examiner and I’d go on my pie break. :smiley:

:bulb: A person could be the best LGV instructor in the world (so that leaves both of us out :wink: ) but if the test candidate is overly nervous and makes mistakes, you know as well as I do that they’ll fail the driving test. That’s just the way of it.

So, by your reckoning, has the instructor also failed? :confused:

Sorry ROG, but I don’t think that’s quite true somehow.

Anyway, this topic is about DCPC training, so shall we keep it on track? :smiley:

Mike-C:
Actually ROG, a trainer who is indeed JAPUT qualified and therefore ‘valid’ may be better placed to tell us what we need?!!! :laughing:

To be a JAUPT qualified trainer all you have to show is that you have done similar before and a letter from a former/current employer or a recommendation from someone in the right business will suffice.
In other words - A reputable someone who says you can do whatever it is.

The other thing is how can anyone tell someone what they might need without an assessment being done first :question:

ROG:
The other thing is how can anyone tell someone what they might need without an assessment being done first :question:

That may be your (or the IAM’s) way of doing things ROG, but since DCPC is the driver’s responsibility, the driver gets to decide what he/she needs.

The requirements for DCPC don’t currently include a formal assessment either before, or after a DCPC course.
That’s not to say that other forms of assessment don’t happen. :wink: