Day work Vs Tramping

WheelsofCardiff:
I live in the Valleys but work in Avonmouth.100 mile round trip daily the night M4 closure and stuck on the M4 during rush hour was a soul destroyer.I went tramping and my life is easy .

Or you could just, you know, work locally for the best rate on offer and save yourself £70 in fuel costs every week (based on 40mpg at £1.25/ltr), not to mention the wear and tear and depreciation costs on your vehicle, plus the 15-20 hrs of commuting time over the week. :bulb:

WheelsofCardiff:
I live in the Valleys but work in Avonmouth.100 mile round trip daily the night M4 closure and stuck on the M4 during rush hour was a soul destroyer.I went tramping and my life is easy .

This has always been my argument on daily rest periods and commuting on day work.
How many hours off were you getting between shifts ?..and how much of it was actual rest spent in bed.

Got in to work this morning and had to pick some jaws up off the floor when certain drivers saw me [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
My steed for the week

Sent while from gods know where

Shed…

:smiley:

DCPCFML:

WheelsofCardiff:

Or you could just, you know, work locally for the best rate on offer and save yourself £70 in fuel costs every week (based on 40mpg at £1.25/ltr), not to mention the wear and tear and depreciation costs on your vehicle, plus the 15-20 hrs of commuting time over the week. :bulb:

As stated above;
I once took a job where I walked to work in less than 10 minutes. The hourly rate was awful, but when I added the costs I saved plus the ability to turn the hours saved in commuting into overtime, it came out as an average wage. The boss was a decent guy too and office staff good as gold. The vehicles varied from brand new to minging. I could have nearly any time off I wanted (unpaid obviously). Monday to Friday and a brown envelope if you fancied a couple of hours on a Saturday morning. There wasn’t too many downsides about the job. I left to chase the big bucks and the boss said there’s a job for me whenever I want it.

LazyDriver:

DCPCFML:

WheelsofCardiff:

As stated above;
I once took a job where I walked to work in less than 10 minutes. The hourly rate was awful, but when I added the costs I saved plus the ability to turn the hours saved in commuting into overtime, it came out as an average wage. The boss was a decent guy too and office staff good as gold. The vehicles varied from brand new to minging. I could have nearly any time off I wanted (unpaid obviously). Monday to Friday and a brown envelope if you fancied a couple of hours on a Saturday morning. There wasn’t too many downsides about the job. I left to chase the big bucks and the boss said there’s a job for me whenever I want it.

Similar to me really. The one saving grace for my place is its literally three minutes drive from front door to work car park. I’d walk it except for the fact the road I’d have to use has no path and the tarmac bit is treat like Silverstone.

That then negates a lot of looking for a better hourly rate because by the time I’ve added on extra overheads it would take a big jump in hourly rate to pay for my travelling costs and travelling time.

Plus I get to pick and choose my holiday and they help me with days where I need to finish to grab my lad etc etc and its paid straight through.

Sometimes there’s more to it than just simply headline pay rates.

I applied for a job with the firm up the street from me, it was a change from driving it was for a ‘Handyman’.
Went for interview …guy says.
Can you do plumbing.
Me…No.

Can you do joinery.
Me…No.

What about electrical.
Me…Can’t do that either.

Ok, painting.
Me…Nah no good at that.

So how tf can you call yourself ‘Handy’■■

I said.

Well I just live round the corner.
:laughing:

Thank you very much. :sunglasses:

I have met quite a few drivers who have gone out tramping , just home for a night or two. There private lives are an absolute train wreck. Make sure that your wife is fully onboard with the idea. Remember you will will need two divorce lawyers and they dont come cheap the way that truckers do. Could see it being a great life for a single bloke of course.

robroy:

WheelsofCardiff:

This has always been my argument on daily rest periods and commuting on day work.
How many hours off were you getting between shifts ?..and how much of it was actual rest spent in bed.

7 hours at most.Those saying work local have you seen the wages in the Valleys .Its an insult to even mention them.I go to work Monday back Friday afternoon.I get nearly double what the doorstep company was offering .I only commute once .Make hay while the sun shines.

Just wondering why are you going back to the old job as obviously something made you jump? No judging more a case of if I was thinking im moving on again I would look elsewhere, it’s not like you are starved of companies in your area.

mrginge:
Just wondering why are you going back to the old job as obviously something made you jump? No judging more a case of if I was thinking im moving on again I would look elsewhere, it’s not like you are starved of companies in your area.

The main thing that made me jump is leaving at the end of the week :wink:

blue estate:

mrginge:

I see, a personnel issue rather then a new coloured trailer to drag. :sunglasses:

WheelsofCardiff:

robroy:

WheelsofCardiff:

7 hours at most…

So ‘at most’ maybe suggests you were on an average of 5 to 6 hours actual sleep every night for a week.
Ignoring all the idiots/heroes :unamused: who boast ‘‘I just need 5 hours a night me’’ …It ain’t enough.
At the very least there should be a regulation that a driver must not have minimum 9 rest off at home I reckon.

By the time Friday afternoon arrives you’ve had about say…a total of around 25 hours sleep out of a possible 40ish?..So what percentage of daymen on long commutes are driving whilst rubber ducked?
Not good while negotiating 44 tonnes on a busy motorway daily and on the same soul destroying mind numbing routine boring run maybe. . :bulb:

Bring on the heroes, but imo another good argument for getting up to 10 hours kip if you want it while roughing it in the dreaded tin box, (or from a trampers version of events starting work on the job refreshed.)
After saying that 9 hours off ain’t really enough in tramping either …unless you are the neurotic work/sleep type, sat stressed out waiting for 8 hours 59 to click over to start another stress laden day.

mrginge:

blue estate:

mrginge:

I see, a personnel issue rather then a new coloured trailer to drag. :sunglasses:

Seems he likes the managers arse as he’s been sweet talked in to staying :smiling_imp: :unamused:
But he’s not getting the satisfaction this time as I’m staying and not going