Day work Vs Tramping

Over the last month I’ve taken a good hard look at what hours I’ve been working and the :5/6am starts and still going at 8/9pm aren’t good :imp: also not getting home most Fridays till 8/9pm :imp: :imp: and that’s on full tramping salaried doing work for 2excell
So I’ve knocked that on the head and restart back at my old job on Monday hourly paid guaranteed 48 hours and OT after but will be mostly days now not night not nights out like when I was there last , But works out only £80 less take home for a lot less hours :smiley:
Am I mad to go back or very sane as I only need to do 6/7 hours OT to get same money and still be doing 20 hours less :smiley: :smiley:

blue estate:
Over the last month I’ve taken a good hard look at what hours I’ve been working and the :5/6am starts and still going at 8/9pm aren’t good :imp: also not getting home most Fridays till 8/9pm :imp: :imp: and that’s on full tramping salaried doing work for 2excell
So I’ve knocked that on the head and restart back at my old job on Monday hourly paid guaranteed 48 hours and OT after but will be mostly days now not night not nights out like when I was there last , But works out only £80 less take home for a lot less hours :smiley:
Am I mad to go back or very sane as I only need to do 6/7 hours OT to get same money and still be doing 20 hours less :smiley: :smiley:

Well that didn’t last long did it !
Going to Meachers you need to get a grip don’t just jump back into what you think is your comfort zone there’s more out there

New pastures…not[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

robthedog:

blue estate:

Well that didn’t last long did it !
Going to Meachers you need to get a grip don’t just jump back into what you think is your comfort zone there’s more out there

The job would have been great if some one else wasn’t calling the shots , but they were only subbing for another firm
I did not make the decision lightly , but other factors were involved
I always keep one eye on job ads :wink:

polytrotter:
New pastures…not[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Nope :blush: muddy pig stye field

Sounds like you let them run your ■■■ ragged you should have got them kicked into touch

robthedog:
Sounds like you let them run your ■■■ ragged you should have got them kicked into touch

I tried many times ,but it fell on deaf ears :imp: even when saying I’d been on a bay X hours or saying on a Wednesday that’s my last 15 gone :imp:
Didn’t help planner was based in Newcastle up on Tyne

blue estate:

You’ve answered your own question. You are doing 20 hours a week less and going home every night. Plus if you really need the £80 you are losing and do the 6-7 hours OT to achieve it then you are still 13/14 hours better off.

This us why I prefer hourly rate to salary.
If you are salaried they will sure as hell try and get their money’s worth out of you in terms of hours.
If I was salaried I’d be doing the minimum, it’s a no brainer.
You should work out what you would have got paid fir hours in comparison to your salary, just for arguments sake…

Jesus Christ some drivers do not listen , tramping is not about the money / hours , it’s the lifestyle , there’s nothing you would get with home life that would equal a lovely industrial estate with that quaint little pub a short walk away every night , and as a tramper you don’t have to share you’re bed with a women every night , it’s all yours !!!

dozy:
Jesus Christ some drivers do not listen , tramping is not about the money / hours , it’s the lifestyle , there’s nothing you would get with home life that would equal a lovely industrial estate with that quaint little pub a short walk away every night , and as a tramper you don’t have to share you’re bed with a women every night , it’s all yours !!!

So what’s your alternative methods dozy?
Aye good retort, and says the man who has spent most of his carreer being made a complete ■■■■ of by guys half his age in offices, and who’s idea of tramping is parking for 9 hours in a lay by with no food or drink…again and again, never learning, never progressing.
Dozy I’ve stuck up for you in the past, but I’m done with you mate, you do nothing for yourself to refute the common consensus that you.are the forum idiot.
Jog on.

blue estate:
But works out only £80 less take home for a lot less hours :smiley:

I’m guessing that going on how many trampers include their night out money as “wages” that that £80 extra is night out money?

No you’re not mad.

The fewer hours I can work to pay the bills the better. Where I’m at now 37hrs including breaks over 4 nights gives me the same money as 54hrs did a couple of years ago. I couldn’t give a rats ■■■ that it’s got the driver facing cameras, that it’s health and safety gone mad, that it’s a big company where apparently you’re just a number (even though that’s far from the case) and all the “modern corporate management bollox” that apparently is so bad. At the end of the day I literally do 8hrs a day actual work just four days of the week with a nice mid-week day off to split it all up and I’m at home having a pint, watching the telly, seeing my mates or sorting the wife whilst those who are working for companies that still operate “like the good old days” banging in 12 and 13hr days are there sat in their truck at the side of the road on some non-descript industrial estate where facilities are so good they can’t even go for a tom-■■■ wishing they were anywhere else but where they are.

There’s a lot of trampers who talk a good talk banging on about the apparent “lifestyle” that’s so much better than not being at work but I reckon if they were actually honest with themselves that unless they were a Billy Nomates with no missus, kids and family they’d rather be home and that bollox about it being about the lifestyle is the lie they tell themselves to cope with the reality that they’re getting shafted in the wallet every week.

They’d been conditioned to think that tramping 80 hours a week is the norm or they live beyond their means up to their eyeballs in debt so have to work 2 weeks in 1 to pay for it all. Or both.

DCPCFML:
They’d been conditioned to think that tramping 80 hours a week is the norm or they live beyond their means up to their eyeballs in debt so have to work 2 weeks in 1 to pay for it all. Or both.

Yep that is true in many cases,.and we’ve been here before about counting night out subsistence as wages.
The employers are fully aware of this and exploit it.

We could argue, bicker and debate all day about which type of work is the ‘best’ but at end of day it is what suits you personally that prevails, and each driver has to go with that.
Nothing would bore the arse off me more than doing the same run every day on a random motor, back home and having to get up to do the same thing again next day…and as for nights? don’t get me started, kipping through the day (or attempting to) would be a non starter, it would not only mess with my body clock, but my brain.
One of the many different reasons I started as a driver/tramper was the variety and lack of repetition every day.

I’m only out 3 nights a week now, with the odd full week if I want it, but in the past I have had some great times tramping Europe (unarguably a way of life Conor.) and less good times when I left it.
I have a niche little job now that suits ME, but I fully understand that tramping ain’t for everyone.

Each to his own. :bulb:

Conor Conor Conor…

Your pontificating from the top of your ivory tower is getting tiresome. If Howden decide to open a depot in Swansea (or better still, the Mumbles), paying the same rate as you get, I’ll be the first to sell my fridge, pack away my duvet, and become a day ornight driver once more… Facing that, in the real world, the best money/work/life balance, is in working away. And whilst I need to travel for work, I rather commute once a week, than every day, and get paid for being away from home. I took the compromise, 4on-4off, which beats your :grimacing: paltry 3 days off, working for a high enough salary to make it work.

So put a sock in it. We know you have the perfect job, for mega money. But we are not all your neighbours…

£80 Less like many Drivers they include n/out money in what they take home, in effect relying on n/o money to subsidies their poor rate of pay,if thats the case in your situation then day work at £80 less is a no brainer.

It always tickles me when you hear day men so scathingly dismiss tramping, because you rarely, if ever hear trampers dismiss day men in such a way.

Speaks volumes about mentality if you ask me, kind of “small man syndrome”.

robroy:

dozy:

Aye good retort, and says the man who has spent most of his carreer being made a complete [zb] of by guys half his age in offices, and who’s idea of tramping is parking for 9 hours in a lay by with no food or drink…again and again, never learning, never progressing.
Dozy I’ve stuck up for you in the past, but I’m done with you mate, you do nothing for yourself to refute the common consensus that you.are the forum idiot.
Jog on.

Are you in a bad mood today Rob ? I thought Dozy’s post was a good bit of satirical banter, better than many of his posts.
When I read it, my first thought was " Rob will have a chuckle at this, or even just smile to himself "
I certainly didn’t expect you to " go off on one " and " cancel " the poor bloke ! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Regards John.

the maoster:
It always tickles me when you hear day men so scathingly dismiss tramping, because you rarely, if ever hear trampers dismiss day men in such a way.

Speaks volumes about mentality if you ask me, kind of “small man syndrome”.

Apart from the endless ■■■■■■■■ in every traffic office up and down the land at 6am on a Monday morning: “WHO’S HAD MY WAGON■■? [ZB] RADIO BEEN RETUNED TO RADIO 1, MY DREAM CATCHER HAS BEEN CHUCKED IN THE PASSENGER FOOTWELL AND THE [ZB] HAS EVEN ADJUSTED MY SEAT”. As we’re doing generalisations, trampers are mostly thick [zb]s, fat [zb]s and don’t know what a bar of soap is.

old 67:

robroy:

dozy:

Aye good retort, and says the man who has spent most of his carreer being made a complete [zb] of by guys half his age in offices, and who’s idea of tramping is parking for 9 hours in a lay by with no food or drink…again and again, never learning, never progressing.
Jog on.

Are you in a bad mood today Rob ? I thought Dozy’s post was a good bit of satirical banter, better than many of his posts.
When I read it, my first thought was " Rob will have a chuckle at this, or even just smile to himself "
I certainly didn’t expect you to " go off on one " and " cancel " the poor bloke ! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Regards John.

Nah, good mood waiting for football to start.
His ind est/pub references are usually aimed at me as I tend to try and make the best out of a night out,.rather than sit in a ■■■■ lay by all night with mirrors pulled in eating crisps pot noodles and crap as he does.
I just get irritated rather than angry by the same old comments tbh,.and dozy doesn’t do himself any favours.
Maybe I did go a bit far on reflection. :smiley: