Day man.

That’s me this week. :unamused:
My motor off road,.I say ‘my’ motor, these ■■■■ trampers think the truck belongs to them…(See? It’s rubbing off on to me already. :open_mouth: :laughing: )
Refused to sleep in another driver’s motor.

Tbh I was even going to stop off until it was fixed, but rank was pulled on me to go on days for rest of week. :unamused:

So…
First stipulation
. A motor that was not some sort of mobile kin health hazard. Sorted.

No 15 hour days .Sorted.

No 9 hours off between going home, tea,.shower, sleep.and run back in.
Sorted.

Did an Aldi self tip on Wed, that was ■■■■ hard work big heavy pallets jammed in on a wet no traction trailer floor. :unamused:

Tesco Liv Thurs…I see it is no longer deemed safe to sit in cab any longer since Covid, but highly dangerous now miraculously, so back to sitting in a crowded pen listening to drivercrap…(nah ■■■■ that,.I sneaked back to my bunk…)

Today…waiting for a trailer to come in, off the guy who has done my usual run, looks like he’s raced around it like there was no tomorrow, basically ■■■■ ing it up by shaving about 2 to 3 hours off it. :smiling_imp: (and consequently getting paid 2 to 3 hours less .)

Don’t you just love drivers eh?
Pork and education… :unamused:

Anyhoo my point is it’s a lot harder than tramping, you have this mindset to get back in time asap to go home , then a commute back home, (feeling like the day is totally ■■■■ ed for doing anything), to bed and a commute back…
Luckily my excellent and lovely Mrs gets up with me in mornings making me a coffee,.and doing my packed sarnies every morning,.as she has done for years. :sunglasses:

Give me my ‘sleeping tin box’ as you day men say, back anytime,.can’t hack this day man cack, not as relaxed as tramping.

Back to normality next week. hopefully.

Careful, at this rate SWMBO will be asking you what time you will be home for dinner.

Anyhow I must dash, it’s double bubble time and I have to drag it out for the money

peirre:
Careful, at this rate SWMBO will be asking you what time you will be home for dinner.

Anyhow I must dash, it’s double bubble time and I have to drag it out for the money

Double time?..nah my firm is lower end of scale mate, time + 3quid an hour.
(Cue the ‘wouldn’t get out of bed’ mantra. :laughing: )

Btw…A bit early in morning mate…SWMBO?? :neutral_face:

She who must be obeyed.

I simply couldn’t work for our lot as a day man. The pressure put on by our planners is frankly ridiculous. They are masters at attempting to fit a pint into a half pint glass. At least with me when the plan goes ■■■■ up it’s only the view from my bedroom window that changes.

robroy:

She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Harry Monk:

robroy:

She Who Must Be Obeyed.

As heard from the rich voice of Leo McKern when he played the lead character in Rumpole of the Bailey.

SWMBO…i just ■■■■ knew when I asked that EVERYBODY except me would know it. :blush: :laughing:

If you do…

Permanent days, you’ll have time to go to night-school and learn these things mate. :smiley:

robroy:
by shaving about 2 to 3 hours off it. :smiling_imp: (and consequently getting paid 2 to 3 hours less .)

Is that per day that you drag out your work by?

stu675:

robroy:
by shaving about 2 to 3 hours off it. :smiling_imp: (and consequently getting paid 2 to 3 hours less .)

I imagine that’s how much extra it takes to do the job properly. You know, taking legal breaks, checking load security after each delivery or collection, that type of thing.

stu675:

robroy:

Errr Aye, If you like,.whatever.

2 ends of the spectrum in a way of doing this job my old mate…

Doing a multi drop job delivering many different types of parts and numbered components, of sectioned buildings to each customer by…
A…Stringently checking, making sure you leave the right parts and numbers to the right person, and doing the job,.and running between the drops,.usually small farms on unsuitable roads, in a safe professional manner,.and taking proper legal breaks in between.
Nothing worse than getting all your drops off,.and having a couple of ‘bits’ left…which tbh never happens to me, BECAUSE I do the job as above.

Or.

B…Running like your arse is on fire tear arseing between drops, not checking stuff properly,.and not having time to stop for a ■■■■ in your stress laden day,.taking ‘‘breaks’’ whilst unloading,.and trying to impress your boss …who thinks no better of you what ever you do for him anyway. :neutral_face:

So I tend to go for the former rather than the latter which has worked for me so far.

But…
If you want to interpret that as ‘‘dragging the job out’’ that is your prerogative.
Maybe you should become a planner or transport manager,.I reckon you would fit in well. :smiley:

The proper way to be a day man is to work no more than 10 hours. You get a couple of hours overtime (time and half :wink: ) and home at a decent time of day. None of this rushing around malarkey, just make it clear to your planner that at X time of day you will be in your car on way home for a beer and a shag.
I like me own bed!

msgyorkie:
The proper way to be a day man is to work no more than 10 hours. You get a couple of hours overtime (time and half :wink: ) and home at a decent time of day. None of this rushing around malarkey, just make it clear to your planner that at X time of day you will be in your car on way home for a beer and a shag.
I like me own bed!

Aye tbf my first day was 10,.second one was 11 only because I had to wait for paperwork,.and today is going to be no more than 9…unless I decide to… ‘‘drag the job out’’ :laughing:

robroy:

msgyorkie:
I like me own bed!

Aye tbf my first day was 10,.second one was 11 only because I had to wait for paperwork,.and today is going to be no more than 9…unless I decide to… ‘‘drag the job out’’ :laughing:

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

the maoster:

stu675:

robroy:

I imagine that’s how much extra it takes to do the job properly. You know, taking legal breaks, checking load security after each delivery or collection, that type of thing.

Just noticed your post mate.
Just goes to show how different ‘types’ of drivers interpret things in certain ways,.and how the same ‘type’ of driver interpret things in the very same way . :bulb:
If you get my drift…I think it makes sense. :smiley:

robroy:

msgyorkie:
I like me own bed!

Working today ? Me sitting at home chicken kievs and chips in oven for dinner then off to pub later for a few with work mates on our usual Friday evening gathering

blue estate:

robroy:

msgyorkie:
I like me own bed!

Working today ? Me sitting at home chicken kievs and chips in oven for dinner then off to pub later for a few with work mates on our usual Friday evening gathering

Aye I know, but it looks as if I may be off next week…(cocked on my licence renewal application. :blush: :unamused: but that’s another tale that I won’t bore you with,) so I just thought I’d get today in.when it was offered.

Got a full social weekend planned though with mates, (not WORK mates though perish the thought :open_mouth: ) .and wedding anniversary on Sun, so a day out then with my lovely Mrs. :sunglasses:

robroy:

stu675:

robroy:

Doing a multi drop job delivering many different types of parts and numbered components, of sectioned buildings to each customer by…
A…Stringently checking, making sure you leave the right parts and numbers to the right person, and doing the job,.and running between the drops,.usually small farms on unsuitable roads, in a safe professional manner,.and taking proper legal breaks in between.
Nothing worse than getting all your drops off,.and having a couple of ‘bits’ left…which tbh never happens to me, BECAUSE I do the job as above.

Or.

B…Running like your arse is on fire tear arseing between drops, not checking stuff properly,.and not having time to stop for a ■■■■ in your stress laden day,.taking ‘‘breaks’’ whilst unloading,.and trying to impress your boss …who thinks no better of you what ever you do for him anyway. :neutral_face:

So I tend to go for the former rather than the latter which has worked for me so far.

But…
If you want to interpret that as ‘‘dragging the job out’’ that is your prerogative.
Maybe you should become a planner or transport manager,.I reckon you would fit in well. :smiley:

Nah he wants to drive car transporters :smiley: :smiley:

robroy:
SWMBO…i just [zb] knew when I asked that EVERYBODY except me would know it. :blush: :laughing:

For us old gits Urban dictionary is must
urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SWMBO

As for 10-11hr days, I’m having a leisurely week of this week.
Start at 8am, a straight truck down the A429 thru the Cotswolds and back with an empty. So Far I’ve averaged 10.5hrs each day, and been home by 7pm in time for dinner and watch the football. I’ve even managed to have a proper cooked breakfast each morning before I left home.
It’s double time today and Monday, although I’m back in at 6am Monday, and 5am the rest of the week

robroy:

stu675:

robroy:

Or.

But…

Thanks [emoji106] Glad you knew not to take offence from me. It’s all learning for me. [emoji3]