Day in the life of a ferry trailer driver (diary)

Morning people, I havnt made a dairy before but always wanted too, it mite turn out abit crap (hopefully it wont turn out too awful) but you’ve got to give these things a try, so please dont shoot me down.

The idea behind this is more to give some of the guys/gals that are just starting out abit of an idea as to what the working day of a normal truck driver is, i always liked reading these when i was doing my license etc so just trying to give something back.

Right then.

Got quite an early start today, its 0245 now and i’ve just got to the yard near newmarket cambridge, the truck is already hooked up and ready to go as i picked the trailer up from the docks on saturday morning. Need to be in deeside for 0830, then St Helens for 1100, will take about 4hours to get the first drop so ideally want to get a 45 in before i tip, so i can get going straight afterwards.

All i need to do now is hang my clothes up, fill the cupboards up with food etc and do a check, normally takes me 30-45mins.
(thats Griffin on the bed, comes with me everywhere in the truck).

On the M6 now and doing well for time.

In the customers’ yard now, got there with plenty of time to spare, had my 45 and also got the straps off (two across the back :unamused: ) just down the road so theres no messing about.

8 pallets to get off now, asked the guy if he had a pallet truck as its easier to shove them out the back as their only 400kg each.

Took longer than i’d have liked to get tipped but it doesnt matter as theres still plenty of time.

One wrong industrial estate later and i can see where we need to be, how i missed it i dont know lol!

Had about 45minutes waiting around to do but was here early so thats fair enough. Going to side tip this lot (14 pallets) as the boards pretty much have to come out anyway to get the straps off on this trailer.

With one pallet left to go i can start getting the boards back in, whilst the forklift driver has been unloading i’ve been rolling my straps up neatly ready for a reload.

Its 1145 now, trailer is empty and ready for a reload. Lets call the boss and find out whats next. 40mins later get an e-mail to load two conveyors in Barnsley.

About 40miles away from barnsley on the M62. Apart from the traffic around the roadworks it really is a lovely road for scenery.

And we’re here

Conveyors on and carefully strapped. Theres still abit of room left so get a message to load 12 small lightweight bales from Elland and then 3 from leeds in the morning. Going to park in Elland about tonight (40miles away) as i’ll be right on the door step and means i dont have to start early.

Time for a shower, this one is pretty good to be fair.

After quite abit of searching i find a decent industrial estate to park up on, also includes a pretty decent view, bonus! Its about 1730 now and im done. Time for abit of grub now i reckon.

Hmm cant really be arsed to cook much tonight so gonna do something easy, two healthly bacon burgers lol.

They dont look very nice in the picture but they were surprisingly tasty.

So with dinner eaten, the mess cleaned up the only thing left to do is crack open a bottle and watch abit of tv with griffin, ready for a 0745 start tomorrow, lovely!

TESCO finest mash and Organic Rump steak, how middle class are you !! :open_mouth: :smiley:

You’ll be doing an OU Law Degree soon I take it then? Ooops only joking and no offence to either of you. No seriously well done Saamon thanks for posting that up, I do exactly the same here in DK, must say if thats a normal day it doesn’t seem too bad. I seem to spend all day clock watching and chasing ships! Looling forward to the next episode…

Well done, it made good reading. I did however, had to stop for a break halfway through though.

Flippin long day you did mind!

Thanks for that - a good read and great pics

Ah… brings back memorys… tilts out of Hull, best way i think start early finish early, great if we get a summer and u can sit outside and perhaps have a bit of banter with one or two other drivers and share a pint, keep up the diary makes for good reading… cheers, shytalk. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that Fiona wanted Creamy Mash by her back doors. :smiley:

Great read mate, hope theirs more to follow

This proves you are a seasoned trucker, shower boots, a stuffed animal and a fridge full of Yorkie bars. And no worries about salad stuffing :stuck_out_tongue:

Very good mate, look forward to the next bit :smiley: :smiley:

What a great read, and nice to see the pics as well.

Btw the missus said she wants Griffin :blush:

Cheers Jack

Thank you for all the lovely comments, thought i was gonna be told where to go, but quite the oppsite

short walk:
You’ll be doing an OU Law Degree soon I take it then? Ooops only joking and no offence to either of you. No seriously well done Saamon thanks for posting that up, I do exactly the same here in DK, must say if thats a normal day it doesn’t seem too bad. I seem to spend all day clock watching and chasing ships! Looling forward to the next episode…

This has got to be the best one, when the penny dropped 5mins later :laughing: :blush: . Although i would like to point out im not trying to be him in anyway, it was going to be abit of a how too for the newbie section but didnt work out.

Well theres abit of a story with griffin, not a long one, but the missus normally gets me a present for when i come home bless her, only something small, so i thought its about time i get herself something. So friday night parked at services i saw some teddy bears in the shop, that will do i thought, as the tough trucker i am walking back to the truck trying to keep up the image, i got in the truck, stuck him on the bed and from that moment i felt this massive attachment to him and since then he’s been in the truck with me ever since.

8wheels:
I’m not sure that Fiona wanted Creamy Mash by her back doors. :smiley:

No comment, my missus will see this. lol.

Tell her to do a search on creamy mess, 189 results on this site.

Wait that’ll be 190 now

8wheels:
Tell her to do a search on creamy mess, 189 results on this site.

Wait that’ll be 190 now

She already thinks we invite eachother back to our cabs for coffee.

(Im sure some do and thats fine tried once didnt like it)

The coffee? Or…

kjw21:
The coffee? Or…

Touching other men.

Great diary, cant wait for the rest!

Good read! Please take more pics and more diaries!

chester:
TESCO finest mash and Organic Rump steak, how middle class are you !! :open_mouth: :smiley:

Not with everyday sausage rolls he aint…pure working class / non working class cheapskate stuff. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Good diary Saaamon, looking forward to the next one !