DAY DRIVERS are you prepared

ok you dont have nights out
but how have you prepared for the coming winter

mars bars, sweets, water, towell, extra kegs

Haven’t prepared yet, but will carry water, a few tins of food and an old small heating stove if i can find the thing, small washing bag and towel.

Most important will be a 25kg bag of salt in the passenger footwell.

Next most important is to make sure i don’t get issued with a MAN on the day it snows like buggery, 1/2" of the white stuff is enough to stop one so best not get issued at all unless a balmy summer day, and then not too warm or the box will overheat and shut down if it needs to work…:wink:

I used to keep a shovel (a proper one for chipping away at ice, not the plastic adr ones), bag of salt and sleeping bag in my day cab, That shovel has saved my bacon and a few others (especially Aspray drivers) a few times. Now I’m doing nights out I’m more than prepared if need be. Other things I’d recommend are , some obvious some not so:

Keep the diesel brimmed, you’d be surprised how many set off with “I’ve got enough to get back” even when weather forecast is dire.
Make sure the towing eye is with the cab, and you know how to fit it, if you need/get a tow, wrapping ropes around todays plastic bumpers doesn’t work so well.
Woolly hat & gloves.
A supply of food, be it a pack of cereal bars or a full larder. (water is irrelevant, if it snows there’s gonna be plenty around you in a white crystalline form).
A good quality, fleece lined, waterproof jacket.
A spare set of dry clothes, jsut trousers/joggys & t shirt will do & keep em dry even if it means changing back into cold & soggy ones for a short while, 2 sets of wet clothes give no reprieve if you remain stranded.
Money.
Phone.

I know that the weather in the UK very rarely presents a survival situation, but if you get stranded the above can be the difference between an uncomfortable night or a downright miserable one. A cold & miserable driver will make mistakes & errors which may further compound the situation.

2 years ago i spent 15 hours on a major motorway without sight nor sound from any form of police or help so im like the frigin last boy scout nowadays :wink:

I might invest in some snow chains this year. Never used them before so I think I’m going to have a go :slight_smile:

i always carry a spade.

the spade can do the digging. :laughing:

FarnboroughBoy11:
I might invest in some snow chains this year. Never used them before so I think I’m going to have a go :slight_smile:

have you seen those snow socks they do for trucks?
they look really good, not sure what they are like in practice. i’ll prob be back touring next year and was thinking of investing in a set of my own. we do have chains, but so far i’ve been very, very lucky and not had to fit them, (they look a right pain in the arse) suppose it gets easier the more you do it. the socks look very easy to fit.

as for whilst i’m doing nights at the mo, if the weather is bad, i’ll take extra food, spare set of joggers and a jumper, plenty of food and a flask, oh and a shovel. mind you if it gets really bad, i have snow curtains.
some of my friends are on a job that will be in madrid this chistmas, from there i believe they are going to budapest, and onto KAZAN i think its called, all in january.
google map KAZAN, ha,ha,ha,ha.

merc0447:
2 years ago i spent 15 hours on a major motorway without sight nor sound from any form of police or help so im like the frigin last boy scout nowadays :wink:

I remember that day.

i`ll chuck a shovel and sleeping bag in,if snow is forecast

If I get stuck in the snow I’ll just dig it out…
…It’s got a 4 1/2m3 bucket on the front and a Cat C13 behind the seat, I’ll be ok but thankyou for asking.
:wink: :grimacing:

limeyphil:
i always carry a spade.

Should be plenty of poles along the roads to mark the edges if the snow gets deep as well, be hardly any left in mainland Europe I guess :smiley:

limeyphil:
i always carry a spade.

Do you kill the prostitutes with it too?
:laughing:

mines an 8x4,so should be ok-we have discussed a crate or two of beer in case we get stuck lol-but i’m sure we’ll find a pub if the worst happens!!

Muckaway:

limeyphil:
i always carry a spade.

Do you kill the prostitutes with it too?
:laughing:

no i just smash there back doors in :laughing: :laughing:

With your pole or spade tho that’s the question ■■

How about some chicken wire dont take up much space place under tyres drive

Phantom Mark:
With your pole or spade tho that’s the question ■■

No, the Pole washes my car in Sainsburys’ Witney.

My emergency kit consists of a bottle of whiskey, a half ounce of weed, a 50g pouch of tobacco, two packets of king size silver Rizlas, three lighters, a box of matches, three big bags of Maltesers and a thick blanket.

I couldn’t give a ■■■■ what happens.

alcohol is a bad idea if you have no heating
as it lowers the body temperature