Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Hi Wrighty had a feeling you would have been busy and as you say the weather is such a big part of farming, looks like some good stuff too. We now got all 10 new Scanias with just the last
two being prepared so onwards and upwards and all doing over 11mpg which is good, Buzzer

Buzzer

Andrew at the Blanc tunnel waiting for an ■■■■■■ this morning, Buzzer

Nice to see your keeping busy Buzzer. I hope there are more pics of the Malta trip as would be intresting. Were they meeting
a cruise ship ?

I see Andrew was at Mont Blanc this morning. Out of intrest what sort of money is that toll through the tunnel,
roundtrip these days ?

Mont Blanc.

IR216000.JPG

IR219840.JPG

Out yesterday walking and they are harvesting now.John Deere have a strong presence around my area and look like a
quality product.

IMG_20220712_134256.jpg

IMG_20220712_134303.jpg

IMG_20220712_134307.jpg

IMG_20220712_134315.jpg

Buzzer

Hi John
one for you appologies for it being incorrect

Chris

Hi John, here is a question for you and all the other farmers on here. Just lately i have seen farmers out in unripe wheat fields either cutting it like they do silage into big trailers then tipping in a heap or cutting with a mower then bailing it. I assume its for winter feed so is this a new thing or is it to create a wheat shortage to push the price up. thanks in advance for any info. :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:
Hi John, here is a question for you and all the other farmers on here. Just lately i have seen farmers out in unripe wheat fields either cutting it like they do silage into big trailers then tipping in a heap or cutting with a mower then bailing it. I assume its for winter feed so is this a new thing or is it to create a wheat shortage to push the price up. thanks in advance for any info. :sunglasses:

Kev they call that whole crop cut when the seeds are formed but not fully ripe keeping the goodness in, usually clamped and my contractor does the grass first then puts the maize on top then he has a mix when he opens it in the winter, he adds rolled barley and minerals mixes it in a mixer waggon which has a conveyer belt which spits it out along the front of the shed the cattle are in, hope this answers your question mate.

Thanks for the drawing Chris, did not know we ran fridges on mini wheels though :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: JD

Buzzer:

gerbil sb152:

Kev they call that whole crop cut when the seeds are formed but not fully ripe keeping the goodness in, usually clamped and my contractor does the grass first then puts the maize on top then he has a mix when he opens it in the winter, he adds rolled barley and minerals mixes it in a mixer waggon which has a conveyer belt which spits it out along the front of the shed the cattle are in, hope this answers your question mate.

Thanks for the drawing Chris, did not know we ran fridges on mini wheels though :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: JD

DEANB:
Nice to see your keeping busy Buzzer. I hope there are more pics of the Malta trip as would be intresting. Were they meeting
a cruise ship ?

I see Andrew was at Mont Blanc this morning. Out of intrest what sort of money is that toll through the tunnel,
roundtrip these days ?

Mont Blanc.

Hi Dean
The blanc is prepaid for us just collect your ticket on the way up charges vary depending on axle and euro class but I think it’s about 500 euro

The Blanc tunnel is 228 Euro’s one way, my son said we stopped using it in about 2014 as we got done there by a bar steward of a copper saying the tanks on our truck were too big and constituted being in the realms of Hazchem regs and issued a massive fine so we diverted to using the Frejus after that. We have now started to use the Blanc as with distance it is cheaper to do so. There was a copper years ago when I was still driving who used to purge on trucks at the tunnel entrance and do them for Haz such as Este Lauder perfume which STS used to transport, once a driver was there with a pallet of Duraglit on his load, saw him argue with the copper and saying you set it alight then but to no avail, after we learned this copper had a brother back down in the valley who ran a garage which as if by fortune stocked all the Hazchem gear, odd that aint it the corrupt bar stewards they are, Buzzer

Back in time hard work but a more enjoyable world, Buzzer

Evening Buzzer

Well it’s been a nice day up ere cloudy and not too hot, the sun came out later this afternoon and it has warmed up but still bearable. I imagine your getting pretty hot down there, sounds like you are going to suffer for the next couple of days.
We finally got the last of our hay bales gathered up and wrapped so that’s us finished cropping bar a bit of second cut later on, the weather has been kind this year which has made it easier than some years.
Back at it tomorrow loading concrete for Scotch and then who knows.

Cheers Wrighty.

IMG_3864.JPG

Buzzer Monday

294424978_10220992205931406_7352662276069563234_n.jpg

Hi Wrighty could you please tell me what [slag from steel works] collected in 10 ton tippers in1950/60s was spread over fields for what purpose .sometimes loaded by hand shovel in to spreader, by the driver then they used to use a spreader behind a tractor to spread it on the fields was it for crops or grass dbp…

peggydeckboy:
Hi Wrighty could you please tell me what [slag from steel works] collected in 10 ton tippers in1950/60s was spread over fields for what purpose .sometimes loaded by hand shovel in to spreader, by the driver then they used to use a spreader behind a tractor to spread it on the fields was it for crops or grass dbp…

Evening dbp

Slag was used to reduce the acidity of soil to improve grassland and crop production much the same as lime is used predominantly today. In the 50s and 60s it would be readily available but with the demise of the steel industry it has all but disappeared today…

Cheers Wrighty.

Buzzer

294315922_10220992026286915_2874350890448621108_n.jpg

G’day I see John has been keeping you all up to date with pics I will just add some random ones from last couple of months I don’t think you’ve seen?
First one at German/Czech border after queuing outside for over an hr to get a toll box for Czech Republic bloody hot as well but hey ho lol
7F3EBBB8-0303-4AF6-B6C3-CCCBC134C549.jpeg

Parking not the best in Czech everywhere full up & running out of time I came off motorway to look for something & found this lay-by although turns out it was a bus stop(sign was hidden lol) but it done for the night & was very quiet as well as very dark……
0D45A506-CC35-42B5-99B3-0A8905427F75.jpeg
112F953F-31A0-47CB-A193-A6D969E687F0.jpeg

Same place as it was getting dark lol
04C05BC2-7E19-423C-8D88-FCE88F9BCAD4.jpeg