Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

tribsa:
0DSC_1675

Hi John & All

Mike does this help

Hi Rich Smart looking motor

Out of interest how much do those large rectangular bales weigh?

Kempston some of the 6 stringers weigh in at at least 1/2 a ton so you can definitely get your max gross with a full load of them, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Kempston some of the 6 stringers weigh in at at least 1/2 a ton so you can definitely get your max gross with a full load of them, Buzzer

Thanks Buzzer, I’m not surprised tbh, that Scania 6 wheeler loading bales with 3 above the roof must be close on its axle loading on the front axle?

One of your Daf’s seen in 2007.

Couple of older vehicles with a load of bales on.

NMP

Evening Buzzer

As you said John an 8x4x3 bale of barley straw weighs around 500 kgs, wheat straw tends to be slightly less. On a standard flat we get 44 bales on equating to 22 tonnes and on a step frame we can either get 49 or sometimes 52 depending on the make of baler giving a weight of 26 tonnes.

Cheers Wrighty.

9347CE24-414F-4BE1-957F-BDA10E6A1B97.jpeg

This is about as near as we got to being involved in Agricultural work :unamused: , every year we brought about 8 or 9 loads of straw from Sam Smiths farms at Tadcaster over to our good neighbour’s farm adjacent to our depot. They were distant relatives of Smiths and got the straw FOC so it just cost the haulage :wink: Smiths wouldn’t allow the practice of burning the straw in the fields because it affected the game birds etc. We always had a number of farmers Sons and other handy Lads in our employ so they always jumped at the job when it kicked off. We used to run the job over 2 or 3 days depending on the m/t motors we had over that side and a couple of the good Lads spent the time on the fields loading the trailers with a Flat 8 so it was just a case of sending the M/t 's into change trailers on the fields. Worked like clockwork when the right Lads were on the job !
This is a shot of a couple of loads standing in the depot waiting to go down the the farm to be tipped.

DEANB:
The combine has done its bit for the year. They had just removed the header this morning and were doing some
maintenance ready for parking it up until next harvest.Mind you i expect they will give it a wash !

No leave the power washer in the shed, blow it off with a air compressor and grease it. Remember the combine now going to stand for 10 months and water around the bearings is not good.

Went down to feed the marsh steers today got all the troughs in the corral now, they go in and eat the grub but I have not actually seen them in there they were 1/2 a mile away lounging in the shade and not even the dog “woody” could get any attention but I did do a head count and all were present, gotta catch in there so we can move em, Buzzer.

DeanB, thanks good advice and I will.

Kerbet, what is your point- is there one as I don’t own a haulage company or have Buzzers history?

Buzzer made a generalisation that we all like the agricultural pictures but I don’t and said so which unless like Mr Maidments smart outfit involving a hgv I don’t enjoy the tractors etc so being honest.

I get called a ■■■■■ told to go watch eastenders for just being honest.

I feel many on here have a disregard for the woke society where people are criticised for not sharing certain opinions but the press constantly tell us what we think. See any similarities?

tribsa:
0DSC_1675

Hi John & All

Mike does this help

Rich, yeah it does.

Looks great mate, well loaded and great old school paint work.

I,m back under my shell as will let an offended person have the last word. Thanks.

Hi Buzzer, this pretty much sums it up, copied from FB.
Oily.
Jim Titheridge writes
So, you are running out of food on the shelves, fuel in the garages, you can’t buy things you need, because the shops can’t get their supplies.
Why is that?
A shortage of goods? No
A shortage of money? No
A shortage of drivers to deliver the goods? Well, sort of.
There isn’t actually a shortage of drivers, what we have, is a shortage of people who can drive, that are willing to drive any more. You might wonder why that is. I can’t answer for all drivers, but I can give you the reason I no longer drive. Driving was something I always yearned to do as a young boy, and as soon as I could, I managed to get my driving licence, I even joined the army to get my HGV licence faster, I held my licence at the age of 17. It was all I ever wanted to do, drive trucks, I had that vision of being a knight of the roads, bringing the goods to everyone, providing a service everyone needed. What I didn’t take into account was the absolute abuse my profession would get over the years.
I have seen a massive decline in the respect this trade has, first, it was the erosion of truck parking and transport café’s, then it was the massive increase in restricting where I could stop, timed weight limits in just about every city and town, but not all the time, you can get there to do your delivery, but you can’t stay there, nobody wants an empty truck, nobody wants you there once they have what they did want.
Compare France to the UK. I can park in nearly every town or village, they have marked truck parking bays, and somewhere nearby, will be a small routier, where I can get a meal and a shower, the locals respect me, and have no problems with me or my truck being there for the night.
Go out onto the motorway services, and I can park for no cost, go into the service area, and get a shower for a minimal cost, and have freshly cooked food, I even get to jump the queues, because others know that my time is limited, and respect I am there because it is my job. Add to that, I even get a 20% discount of all I purchase. Compare that to the UK £25-£40 just to park overnight, dirty showers, and expensive, dried (under heat lamps) food that is overpriced, and I have no choice but to park there, because you don’t want me in your towns and cities.
Ask yourself how you would feel, if doing your job actually cost you money at the end of the day, just so you could rest.
But that isn’t the half of it. Not only have we been rejected from our towns and cities, but we have also suffered massive pay cuts, because of the influx of foreign drivers willing to work for a wage that is high where they come from, companies eagerly recruited from the eastern bloc, who can blame them, why pay good money when you can get cheap labour, and a never ending supply of it as well. Never mind that their own countries would suffer from a shortage themselves, that was never our problem, they could always get people from further afield if they needed drivers.
We were once seen as knights of the road, now we are seen as the lepers of society. Why would anyone want to go back to that?
If you are worried about not getting supplies on your supermarket shelves, ask your local council just how well they cater for trucks in your district.
I know Canterbury has the grand total of zero truck parking facilities, but does have a lot of restrictions, making it difficult for trucks to stop anywhere.
Do you want me to go back to driving trucks? Give me a good reason to do so. Give anyone a good reason to take it up as a profession.
Perhaps once you work out why you can’t, you will understand why your shelves are not as full as they could be.
I tried it for over 30 years, but will never go back, you just couldn’t pay me enough.

oiltreader:
Hi Buzzer, this pretty much sums it up, copied from FB.
Oily.
Jim Titheridge writes
So, you are running out of food on the shelves, fuel in the garages, you can’t buy things you need, because the shops can’t get their supplies.
Why is that?
A shortage of goods? No
A shortage of money? No
A shortage of drivers to deliver the goods? Well, sort of.
There isn’t actually a shortage of drivers, what we have, is a shortage of people who can drive, that are willing to drive any more. You might wonder why that is. I can’t answer for all drivers, but I can give you the reason I no longer drive. Driving was something I always yearned to do as a young boy, and as soon as I could, I managed to get my driving licence, I even joined the army to get my HGV licence faster, I held my licence at the age of 17. It was all I ever wanted to do, drive trucks, I had that vision of being a knight of the roads, bringing the goods to everyone, providing a service everyone needed. What I didn’t take into account was the absolute abuse my profession would get over the years.
I have seen a massive decline in the respect this trade has, first, it was the erosion of truck parking and transport café’s, then it was the massive increase in restricting where I could stop, timed weight limits in just about every city and town, but not all the time, you can get there to do your delivery, but you can’t stay there, nobody wants an empty truck, nobody wants you there once they have what they did want.
Compare France to the UK. I can park in nearly every town or village, they have marked truck parking bays, and somewhere nearby, will be a small routier, where I can get a meal and a shower, the locals respect me, and have no problems with me or my truck being there for the night.
Go out onto the motorway services, and I can park for no cost, go into the service area, and get a shower for a minimal cost, and have freshly cooked food, I even get to jump the queues, because others know that my time is limited, and respect I am there because it is my job. Add to that, I even get a 20% discount of all I purchase. Compare that to the UK £25-£40 just to park overnight, dirty showers, and expensive, dried (under heat lamps) food that is overpriced, and I have no choice but to park there, because you don’t want me in your towns and cities.
Ask yourself how you would feel, if doing your job actually cost you money at the end of the day, just so you could rest.
But that isn’t the half of it. Not only have we been rejected from our towns and cities, but we have also suffered massive pay cuts, because of the influx of foreign drivers willing to work for a wage that is high where they come from, companies eagerly recruited from the eastern bloc, who can blame them, why pay good money when you can get cheap labour, and a never ending supply of it as well. Never mind that their own countries would suffer from a shortage themselves, that was never our problem, they could always get people from further afield if they needed drivers.
We were once seen as knights of the road, now we are seen as the lepers of society. Why would anyone want to go back to that?
If you are worried about not getting supplies on your supermarket shelves, ask your local council just how well they cater for trucks in your district.
I know Canterbury has the grand total of zero truck parking facilities, but does have a lot of restrictions, making it difficult for trucks to stop anywhere.
Do you want me to go back to driving trucks? Give me a good reason to do so. Give anyone a good reason to take it up as a profession.
Perhaps once you work out why you can’t, you will understand why your shelves are not as full as they could be.
I tried it for over 30 years, but will never go back, you just couldn’t pay me enough.

Well written piece that Oily its just a shame you are not in a position of power to sort the job out, every one is blaming Brexit but that is just Bull. The driver shortage is allegedly not confined to the UK as I have seen reports that Germany also needs 80,000 truck drivers and also read a very interesting read written by a French man explaining more or less every thing you have put in your entry.
The Governments answer is let them drive an extra hour, drivers dont want that they want better conditions in the work place, not just somewhere to park up free of charge but decent food & shower facilities like there used to be in the old style transport cafes. This is only part of it even though most trucks like ours are fitted with fridges and microwaves so at least where ever the driver ends up he can cater for himself, the other part of the old days is when you stopped overnight or just for a meal you could converse with like minded personal this is sadly gone nowadays.
Me well I am not sorry super markets have shortages on there shelves, any one who has delivered toad RDC knows one can be on a bay for 2 to 3 hours to tip a load that should only take 1/2 an hour, you are expected to sit in a wooden shack with on facilities at hand especially since Covid19 which by the way is an on going excuse for every thing today, we are over the worse of this pandemic so lets get back to normal and PDQ.
We as a company are at this moment in time benefitting from better rates and daily have calls from companies we have never worked for who are desperate for trucks and it is pretty much name your price, we treat our drivers with respect and they have good conditions in the work place, as I have said many times before you are only as good as the drivers you have behind the wheel as they are the ones who can make a company successful, glad I am not taking an active role anymore as dont think the stress would do me any good. Work carries on in our company but proud of what my two boys achieve every day continuing in the company that I started all those years ago, it makes the past all worth it, Buzzer

Well said those last two articles about all that is wrong about the Driving profession today, although on this website it is preaching to the masses that already know where the problems lie. This is the type of message that should be front page or main news to let the vast amount of the public who are ignorant of the actual facts of the driver shortage. It is a worldwide problem as the good ol USA is also experiencing a vast driver shortage. I personally haven’t driven for hire and reward since overnight i couldn’t drive due to not having done the dreaded CPC , but in the last year have been asked numerous times, if i wanted to start driving again part time but think that’s it for me, which is a shame really.

jshepguis:
Well said those last two articles about all that is wrong about the Driving profession today, although on this website it is preaching to the masses that already know where the problems lie. This is the type of message that should be front page or main news to let the vast amount of the public who are ignorant of the actual facts of the driver shortage. It is a worldwide problem as the good ol USA is also experiencing a vast driver shortage. I personally haven’t driven for hire and reward since overnight i couldn’t drive due to not having done the dreaded CPC , but in the last year have been asked numerous times, if i wanted to start driving again part time but think that’s it for me, which is a shame really.

Please dont give up, there are hundreds of drivers like you who now cannot work because of the drivers CPC which is a totally useless piece of legislation, like you they may only want to work for a couple days a week but cant when they have 30/40 years of experience and certainly dont need telling or hold a qualification on how to do the job. Perhaps one good thing about the present situation is that those who supressed wages in the past are now being forced to pay decent money or go without staff, if that useless CPC were done away with and all like you who want to do just a little would certainly help the current situation but the Government is blind to the obvious, lets hope some one see’s sense and soon, Buzzer.

Both pieces by oiltreader and Buzzer are spot on and should emailed to the Transport secretary! I doubt that they would take a scrap of notice though as like always ‘they know best’ the whole situation has been brought on by the useless government hooray Henries that don’t know their arse from their elbows.

Chip shipping in from Le Havre looks really busy there, Buzzer

Evening Buzzer

Well that’s the end of another busy week up ere, spent the last three days washing greasing and oiling the harvesting machinery and putting it away until next spring. It’s starting to feel autumnal with us we had some nice rain this morning then it got out a nice afternoon, but the leaves are turning and are starting to fall. Spent a bit of time yesterday washing and halter training bulls which are destined for the sales at Carlisle, and we sold our mule gimmers on Tuesday with the tops being £155 p/head, with an average of £127 which was £20 p/head up on last year so very pleased.
Back to it tomorrow on locals as my unit and trailer is for MOT on Wednesday.

Cheers Wrighty.

IMG_2317.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

Hi all, that’s a fine looking bull you have there Wrighty he look’s fairly quite as well. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: