Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Roger Limburn (centre of picture) has been a driver at DIT for 26 years straight, not many do that on International work or UK come to that, Buzzer.

They all love each other really. :sunglasses:

It’s because you run a good steady ship there Buzzer, not many do these days, so credit where credit due. When we going to see the Next Gens hitting the road?

These small tractors have always been popular with people who have very large gardens etc.

Not a name i recognise Buzzer ?

tractor 1965 ppg.PNG

John Allen was a large producer of horticultural machinery, especially the fiendish Allen Scythe! Many are still around and popular with preservationists.

Pete.

Time out for DIT’s young director & Son, Buzzer

Busy couple of days cut 6.5 acres of grass on Saturday morning and put up two young fawns always worried I wont see them but they were up and ran away then when on the last 20ft wide strip a fox got up and he never hung about either, its very hot last few days so went and mowed 10 acres down the marsh, contractor coming in the morning to row up and bale and wrap got the team ready to get em in, then we are supposed to get rain Wednesday night on which will work really well. Also today put out the other 14 Charolais steers in the old park near me, nearly fit to mow but it should keep em quiet for a month or five, Buzzer.

Warehouse refurb part one at Davies International at Tracy Island well underway, new roof on and internals washed down and repainted, new LED lighting installed & new racking arrived awaiting erection when completed they will do the other end with overall greater capacity with narrower isles and new swivel forklift to service movements, Buzzer.

Busy today as contractor turned up at 0930 and cracked onwith rowing up and bale & wrapping, me and two cohorts got on with the hauling in, we had two Ifor trailers getting six bales each on per trip, 78 bales in all and all done and stacked by 3pm and we had a lunch break. Crop is down this year as no rain in April and it was cold to boot, rain forecast which will help promote growth for grazing later on, get the barn cleaned out now and if it rains get the muck heap spread where the haylage came off, all go down on the farm, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Warehouse refurb part one at Davies International at Tracy Island well underway, new roof on and internals washed down and repainted, new LED lighting installed & new racking arrived awaiting erection when completed they will do the other end with overall greater capacity with narrower isles and new swivel forklift to service movements, Buzzer.

Afternoon Buzzer,
The cattle are looking good and also the warehouse refurb,
I watched Clarksons farm on Amazon Prime at the weekend and to be fair it was ok but it was Kaleb who drove the tractor etc that stole the show, Cheer’s Pete

Scotlee loading for us today out of Tracy Island our home, Buzzer

After turning out the last steers on Monday and finished the haylage today I cleaned out the barn, only four loads so done by lunchtime. This afternoon it started to rain, not a downpour but a nice steady drizzle so thats come just right will make the grass come back on the ground we cut and it looks like we got plenty more to come, told the contractor he can spread me heap of manure about 120 tons if he can fit it in as he wont be silaging with this weather, off to Frome tomorrow to have a ganders and see whats about, Buzzer.

Farming update today, went on a walk to check the two bunches of cattle this afternoon, first the marsh boys then the park bunch, all happy and enjoying the green stuff. Think they have grown a bit since being out and looking good, buy the best you can then its a pleasure walking round and checking them, Buzzer

Wrighty were are you mate we getting worried JD

Evening Buzzer

Busy day up ere getting bedding muck out onto the higher pastures before the rain comes, talking of rain moving up the country tonight shouldn’t say it but a drop wouldn’t do any harm at the moment.

Cheers Wrighty.

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

Glad to see you are still on line Steve but knew would have been busy, fascinates me how they let those expensive tractors go out on demo as they must cost a bomb. Talking to Dennis Crofts in the week he said his son has a New Holland baler on demo at the moment and its fantastic, he runs five bigguns all different makes including the tractors but he hauls for all the makes so has to appease them to a degree and spread the buying of machines. Have you made your silage yet or is that still ongoing, as you can see Ime done and dusted and looked at some extra tother day as want a few more bales in the stack, yesterday after looking at the cattle we had to do some serious weeding of the runner beans but every thing is way behind this year, Buzzer

Evening Buzzer

Yes were pretty busy up ere making silage, mucking sheds out, power washing, spraying and selling a few early spring lambs… We have started mowing for silage up near home, so we will be picking that up this week.
A large part of our job is moving demo machinery about, mostly tractors and telehandlers but also we do a lot of self propelled forage harvesters and like you say those two tractors in the photo have a value in the region of 200k, so insurance is very important.
Back in tomorrow off to Bedale and Sheffield with concrete then maybe off to Hull for a load of new tractors…all good fun eh.

Cheers Wrighty.

IMG_1708.JPG

Andrew recharging a cruise ship at the weekend, Buzzer

Talking of Southampton docks , I used to have a decent and subsidised meal inside the port along with the dock workers until drivers were banned then it was a lady in a car that parked in the waiting area to bring hot and cold food for container drivers .
Canteen at Felixstowe and Isle of Grain and the road there was odd as first time I thought I was lost , it’s a shame these facilities are gone .
What with Orwell truck stop going or has gone for Felixstowe drivers.

That picture looks like “the fruit gate” as we used to call it, all trucks loading fruit had to wait there till 6am when it opened and then make your way to 105 to get your orders and load, hard days work back then well night as well, used to leave home at 10pm for say Covent Garden tip and then back to that gate grab an hour over the wheel then in and load, sheet & rope and home for lunchtime then bed for the afternoon, up for tea then do it all again, Buzzer.