Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Congratulations Buzzer on buying the depot ! :wink:

Whats the crack with these new combiners then ? Those tracks look like trouble to me,too much to go wrong. Would rather have a big old
wheel. I dont understand why you need tracks as they are normally working in hot dry weather so dont need to worry about getting stuck ?

What sort of money is one of these Wrighty ?

IMG_20201111_114454.jpg

DEANB:

Whats the crack with these new combiners then ? Those tracks look like trouble to me,too much to go wrong. Would rather have a big old
wheel. I dont understand why you need tracks as they are normally working in hot dry weather so dont need to worry about getting stuck ?

WP_20170411_009.jpg

Evening DEANB

There’s one advertised on the internet a 2019 for £380,000, I would imagine a new one will be pushing 500k. Tracks are becoming more popular as they do less damage to the land, as our summers seem to be getting wetter and later than previous years.

Cheers Wrighty.

wrighty:

DEANB:

Evening DEANB

There’s one advertised on the internet a 2019 for £380,000, I would imagine a new one will be pushing 500k. Tracks are becoming more popular as they do less damage to the land, as our summers seem to be getting wetter and later than previous years.

Cheers Wrighty.

Looks an awkward load Wrighty, as far as getting traction goes. If the redesign of the harvesters means tracks, how will they fit in those wells on your trailers?
Colin.

colinwallace1:

wrighty:

DEANB:

WP_20190816_011.jpg

Evening DEANB

Cheers Wrighty.

Looks an awkward load Wrighty, as far as getting traction goes. If the redesign of the harvesters means tracks, how will they fit in those wells on your trailers?
Colin.

Morning Colin

That is an old picture and the trailer which was a Nene has now been sold, it was a numb trailer as it was 50’ long and up to 55’ when extended which as you pointed out made traction difficult.
It was replaced in 2018 by a Wraith combine trailer which doesn’t extend but open outwards hydraulicly doing away with the need for outriggers, it has two wheel wells to keep the height down.

Cheers Wrighty.

Good to see you back on the waves Dean, as for the tracked combine and also today alot of tracked Tractors nowadays and as Wrighty says this tends to spread the weight and does les compaction damage, some big farms still use crawlers to do cultivations, also that combine would be more stable on sloping ground, they are an expensive bit of kit as most are sat in a barn 3/4 of the year.
Wrighty that bull on the left is some size he must weigh well over a ton, on another note I went to Frome last Friday as there were about 200 Charolais there but organic and they usually fetch more money so to no avail, one farm sent in 52 16 to 20mo steers and heifers and what some good things and at the end of the day the lot averaged out at £1400 a piece so when the postman calls with that cheque he’s going to get a good welcome. Buzzer.

wrighty:

colinwallace1:

wrighty:

DEANB:

Evening DEANB

Cheers Wrighty.

Colin.

Morning Colin

That is an old picture and the trailer which was a Nene has now been sold, it was a numb trailer as it was 50’ long and up to 55’ when extended which as you pointed out made traction difficult.
It was replaced in 2018 by a Wraith combine trailer which doesn’t extend but open outwards hydraulicly doing away with the need for outriggers, it has two wheel wells to keep the height down.

Cheers Wrighty.

Hi Wrighty, never heard of Wraith before. Just had a look at their website, looks good gear. suppose the only compromise is you cant bring the header along with you. Can’t have everything.
Colin.

Evening Colin

Yes that’s right but the headers are getting that big nowadays that they nearly always get delivered on a separate trailer.
Been down south today, spent most of the afternoon trying to get rid of two ex army vehicles on Poole docks. Was going to park up near Buzzers yard at Fareham, but I eventually got hold of a farmer at Selsey so ran over there and got tipped. Now parked in the middle of nowhere enjoying a quiet night, time off then up to Milton Keynes to load a tractor…

Cheers Wrighty.

D5A63787-F3AF-4FAC-A7F5-D2E4DC9B3ACA.jpeg

Sorry Wrighty about last night but see you got sorted tipping in the end anyways and perseverance got you tipped in the end. Went to Salisbury market today and it was the IOW Gilten sale but to be honest I was not very impressed with what was there, 40 Charolais steers and heifers all the way up from Camelford in Cornwall but some of those were only 4mo and very tiny, dont know why they bother better to leave em on the cows till they are 10mo, will keep on looking and hopefully summit will turn up, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Sorry Wrighty about last night but see you got sorted tipping in the end anyways and perseverance got you tipped in the end. Went to Salisbury market today and it was the IOW Gilten sale but to be honest I was not very impressed with what was there, 40 Charolais steers and heifers all the way up from Camelford in Cornwall but some of those were only 4mo and very tiny, dont know why they bother better to leave em on the cows till they are 10mo, will keep on looking and hopefully summit will turn up, Buzzer.

Evening Buzzer

Nay bother it was lucky mi man eventually answered his phone so I went and parked up on his spot for the night,it was nice and quiet. Been a slow day today got to Milton Keynes this morning and the tractor wouldn’t start, eventually got it loaded and then ran over to a dealer above Bedford to load a telehandler,got there to be told the finance hadn’t been settled. So here I am feet up hoping it goes through in the morning. As you say Buzzer 4 months old is far to young to spane suckler calves, we leave ours on a minimum of 6 months more often it 8 then it gives the cow a break before she calves again.

Cheers Wrighty.

Hi Wrighty

If you get stuck again we can store & redeliver vehicles from Southampton PM me for a phone number
Rich

wrighty:
Evening Colin

Yes that’s right but the headers are getting that big nowadays that they nearly always get delivered on a separate trailer.
Been down south today, spent most of the afternoon trying to get rid of two ex army vehicles on Poole docks. Was going to park up near Buzzers yard at Fareham, but I eventually got hold of a farmer at Selsey so ran over there and got tipped. Now parked in the middle of nowhere enjoying a quiet night, time off then up to Milton Keynes to load a tractor…

Cheers Wrighty.

Found a solution for you Wrighty.

IMG_6415[11576] (2).PNG

Bit unusual for you to run that far empty isn’t it.
Colin.

tribsa:
Hi Wrighty

If you get stuck again we can store & redeliver vehicles from Southampton PM me for a phone number
Rich

Evening Tribsa

Will bear you in mind if it happens again, it was a one off for us as the vehicles were going to Gurnsey.

Cheers Wrighty.

colinwallace1:

Colin.

Thats a cracking pic Colin, havent seen one like that before.

Wrighty / Buzzer,thanks for comments on the tracked combiner but my money would still be on the original ones
with the wheels. I reckon those tracks could be a money pit after a few years ! :wink:

DEANB:

colinwallace1:

Colin.

Wrighty / Buzzer,thanks for comments on the tracked combiner but my money would still be on the original ones
with the wheels. I reckon those tracks could be a money pit after a few years ! :wink:

Evening Colin

Looks a good idea putting the header up there, might be a bit high for some of the modern bridge bashers though…
Yes it was a fair way to reload but the telehandler was urgent for a chap in Melrose, as it happens he won’t be getting it as soon as he had hoped.

DEANB not sure of the price difference between tyres versus tracks, but I bet they will perish before they wear out. Most of the expensive machinery nowadays is paid for so much a month, and then it goes back after 3 years and replaced with a new one, that certainly applies to the big tractors.

Cheers Wrighty

DEANB:

colinwallace1:

Colin.

Hi Dean, at least the combines got proper wheels on it, haha. Like Wrighty says though, the length of the headers mean they are a load in themselves nowadays. Harvest is in full swing here atm, and the headers are towed on their own trailers behind pick ups from F250’s upwards.
Not unusual to get stuck behind grain bins as well .

Colin.

There you go, Buzzer

IMG_6279[11579] (2).jpg

Buzzer:
There you go, Buzzer

Thanks Buzzer, farmer nearly lost all of his grain.
Colin.

Couple days ago set a fox trap in the barn and this morning found we had captured one, been watching on cctv security camera’s and there have been a pair coming in regular nearly every night, was surprised to see a face off between a cat and a fox though and this lasted for a couple minutes the cat winning that but if it had been a fully grown fox the outcome may well have been different, still thats one less to preserve me chicken, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Couple days ago set a fox trap in the barn and this morning found we had captured one, been watching on cctv security camera’s and there have been a pair coming in regular nearly every night, was surprised to see a face off between a cat and a fox though and this lasted for a couple minutes the cat winning that but if it had been a fully grown fox the outcome may well have been different, still thats one less to preserve me chicken, Buzzer.

What you going to do with that pesky cretter then John ?

robthedog:

Buzzer:

What you going to do with that pesky cretter then John ?

You may be surprised to hear we rehomed the critter in a country park 10 miles from here so hopefully we wont see him again, Buzzer.