Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Question Wrighty ! Is the Ministry or Rural England or whatever they are called still paying Sub to have old walls rebuilt ? I can see from those shots you have put up that the walls around you are in good order but I recall in the late 80’s early 90’s I had a couple of Lads now both RIP that looked after the walls, fencing and hedges on the 30 acres of pasture land I owned. But they also had on going contracts with two or three spots to rebuild these old fallen walls and they only worked on them after the sub was agreed for that particular year. It was a job they just used to fill in among their regular work on the many farms around the area. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Question Wrighty ! Is the Ministry or Rural England or whatever they are called still paying Sub to have old walls rebuilt ? I can see from those shots you have put up that the walls around you are in good order but I recall in the late 80’s early 90’s I had a couple of Lads now both RIP that looked after the walls, fencing and hedges on the 30 acres of pasture land I owned. But they also had on going contracts with two or three spots to rebuild these old fallen walls and they only worked on them after the sub was agreed for that particular year. It was a job they just used to fill in among their regular work on the many farms around the area. Cheers Dennis.

Evening Dennis

To be quite honest I haven’t heard of anybody receiving grants to rebuild walls recently, they used to be available to rebuild lengths but not sure about gapping. We spend quite a bit of money keeping the walls right which is purely for our own benefit of keeping stock in, once you let the walls fall into dis-repair it becomes an outfacing job and an expensive one to make them stockproof again.
Well it’s been another busy day on the farm mucking sheds out moving cattle about and generally doing the jobs that have been put on hold due to lambing, we have about 40 left to lamb which take as much looking after as the last 400 have…! but we are getting there…

Cheers Wrighty.

Hey up Wrighty sounds like you are at it and busy, traditionally it is roast lamb at Easter but not sure how available that is going to be, went to the butchers today steel table in the doorway no one allowed inside the shop but orderly standing outside, I went after lunch so only a couple in front of me in the que and got what I wanted so no so bad.
Are you still driving for Colin at the mo or have you been stopped, spoke to Dennis Crofts tother day from D.N Crofts &Son who also do farm machinery and a lot of straw and his driver suffered verbal abuse so wondered how you get on, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
The farming report for today egg sales are manic although the chooks are performing really well in this summer like sunshine, sat outside having a cuppa I had to put the blind down it was that hot. Then on with the reading part of the TB test a very nerve racking time as you never know if you will get a reactor but pleased to say we went all clear which is a relief, the steers were not to keen on going in the collection pen as they knew what was coming.
On another note the Boss took up four packs of sausages to Tracy Island for our loyal drivers who are having time off in the yard, none want to go home and feel safer where they are at the moment, cheers Buzzer.

Good news about the TB test chap. We have had some cracking weather here this week with some wind that must have helped
to start drying the land up a bit.

Are the markets still open as i imagine things are changing on a daily basis at the moment. I take it you will be selling
some steers this coming week ?

Is this a relative of your mate D.N.Croft ?

croft vol.PNG

Buzzer:
Hey up Wrighty sounds like you are at it and busy, traditionally it is roast lamb at Easter but not sure how available that is going to be, went to the butchers today steel table in the doorway no one allowed inside the shop but orderly standing outside, I went after lunch so only a couple in front of me in the que and got what I wanted so no so bad.
Are you still driving for Colin at the mo or have you been stopped, spoke to Dennis Crofts tother day from D.N Crofts &Son who also do farm machinery and a lot of straw and his driver suffered verbal abuse so wondered how you get on, cheers Buzzer.

Afternoon Buzzer

Yes we’ve had a busy week up ere but i’ve been on holiday to give Alice a hand, more hands make light work and all that but I’m back to work tomorrow. Don’t know how long for as quite a lot of our work has dried up going up Scotland with three drops of machinery tomorrow then two collections back down so we shall see how we get on…

Cheers Wrighty.

Thanks for sausages John as you see we put em in slow cooker but put that on hold & had the steaks you brought in instead bloody lovely they were too thank you. I did burn the onion rings though silly me lol
1BB10E7D-DA7F-4256-97EA-2F4922F22315.jpeg

Off we go again Tracy Island will be pretty empty by this evening as John mentioned in earlier post most drivers not going home at moment probably safer all round to stay in trucks don’t know when I will go home next? At least we’re being kept busy at the moment with the stuff we carry,so we will just carry on cuz that’s what we do!!!
85ED928F-5EF9-4D1E-AF05-6C5E4A6B2904.jpeg

You wouldn’t know this trl now getting on for 12 years old & still pressed into action quite a bit lol
EECA6E50-C231-4ADE-A3F6-0C0FA04B7A60.jpeg

Andrew Morrison:
Thanks for sausages John as you see we put em in slow cooker but put that on hold & had the steaks you brought in instead bloody lovely they were too thank you. I did burn the onion rings though silly me lol 0

wot no eggs, or has buzzer sold em all :smiley: .nice to see theres still some good companies out there… stay safe, your all doing a sterling job… :sunglasses:

Lovely picture Andrew but I need to know who the pea flicker was and did they get retrieved, reminds me hen I was at primary school which was many moons ago the peas we had for lunch were like little bullets and a certain amount ended up on the floor, now we had a nipper who’s name was Terry Trust and he would crawl round on the floor in the afternoon retrieving these and eating them, he was not the full ticket as you can imagine.
As for the eggs sales they are manic and no doubt I will get Knighted when this is all over for services to the community, chooks are laying well at the moment and most eggs are still warm when they go out the door, Buzzer

1BB10E7D-DA7F-4256-97EA-2F4922F22315.jpeg

Buzzer:
Lovely picture Andrew but I need to know who the pea flicker was and did they get retrieved, reminds me hen I was at primary school which was many moons ago the peas we had for lunch were like little bullets and a certain amount ended up on the floor, now we had a nipper who’s name was Terry Trust and he would crawl round on the floor in the afternoon retrieving these and eating them, he was not the full ticket as you can imagine.
As for the eggs sales they are manic and no doubt I will get Knighted when this is all over for services to the community, chooks are laying well at the moment and most eggs are still warm when they go out the door, Buzzer

Hope he has more luck with the gear leaver and steering wheel than he does with the knife and fork John, but I’m sure the glass of wine will help :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Harvey

DNC09585.jpg

Buzzer, what consideration feeding the drivers when stuck at base, i assume the food picture was at Tracy Island ,do they have showers and small accommodation bunk beds,?the table layer got it wrong…however i hope other companies are doing the same.

When i first started driving [cattle trucks] 1967 most of the older men there were driving during the 2nd world war, cattle trucks when not transporting cattle, were used as ordinary transport, transporting between Buffer depots hauling food to anywhere needed, used by the [WAR-AG] I assume agriculture connecting driving was a reserved occupation or the drivers were to old to be called up .what i am trying to say is that drivers like all yours and others are now keeping the country going lets hope after this virus that a RECOGNITION of drivers is shown countrywide.

“Buffer depots”=massive large brick-built warehouse all over the country you would see them in the 1960s1970s ,and take no notice of them ,just brick building but government-owned the one i remember is on the A5just up from the now Stobart depot is at kilsby going [N] right at the base of all the rugby masts if they are still there,the george garage ,just by it and Parrifin ANNIES CAFE JUST UP THE ROAD ON THE RIGHT…DBP.

PDB in answer to your question at Tracy Island there is a shower/toilet block cooker, microwave/ fridge washing machine, tumble drier and an iron and board so quite well catered for, plus a tele and rotational soft back book shelf, a lot of our drivers live some distance from the yard and tend to do a month then have a longer break when they do go home.
Still mega busy with free range egg sales but other than that very quiet round here, hardly any cars and a lot of people out walking, Buzzer

90988791_10159656069472627_1500425556179550208_n (2).jpg

91458031_2956056651151371_8522962114686484480_n (2).jpg

Buzzer:
PDB in answer to your question at Tracy Island there is a shower/toilet block cooker, microwave/ fridge washing machine, tumble drier and an iron and board so quite well catered for, plus a tele and rotational soft back book shelf, a lot of our drivers live some distance from the yard and tend to do a month then have a longer break when they do go home.
Still mega busy with free range egg sales but other than that very quiet round here, hardly any cars and a lot of people out walking, Buzzer

Love the rearrangement of the parking for ■■■■ in car. Reminds me of one Xmas picking up a load in Birmingham and the shoppers had parked on the double yellows blocking my exit from the factory. The lads found a big fork-lift and scooped up all the offending cars and bunged them on the pavement across the road. Result! Ro

Going back some, how common was this but comical, Buzzer

92093069_2306351232998528_4440537692010184704_n.jpg

Its Lambing time, a picture by transport artist, Trevor Mitchell.
Click on picture for larger image.

Is that wrighty and his missus. :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:

Don’t think Wrighty’s got a Fergie 35 Kev, its all qwads and trailers up North, Buzzer

Buzzer:

gerbil sb152:

Don’t think Wrighty’s got a Fergie 35 Kev, its all qwads and trailers up North, Buzzer

Evening Buzzer

We have a Fergie 65 mk2 fully restored 12 months ago, was bought by Alice’s dad in the 60’s. I will take some photo’s when it’s wheeled out in the summer, back at work this week delivering new machinery and finished with a load of barley straw from Fraserburgh back home…

Cheers Wrighty.