Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

I don’t know what you’re paying for cattle at Salisbury market, but how about this - $280k for 1 cow here in Adelaide. Must be good stuff, the Wagyu.

Mind you, yours are looking very good.

Cheers Keith

Evening Buzzer

Another busy weekend up ere getting sheep and lambs out of the meadows so we can get some crop growing, turned some cows and calves out as well as the silage and straw is running low. Had the afternoon off and went to a classic car auction at Leyburn some good prices but also some reasonable with a couple of tidy MG Midgets making £3500-£3800.
Back to it tomorrow loading machines for the Scot grass event at Dumfries, it looks like the weather is going to be good so should be a good do…

Cheers Wrighty.

Another fruitless journey to Salisbury market today but to be fair only one batch of five AA steers I was interested in and stopped bidding at my top line, the other bloke wanted them more than me.
Before that me and a mate on fox watch as I had a cheeky beggar come and take one yesterday at 8.45am, could not get me gun quick enough though but we will wait again for him. Its the time of year with cubs about and they get brave, got the trap set as well so watch this space, if we get it I might be tempted to hang it on Packham’s gate along with the crows he already got, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Did an early morning check on all the steers this morning, first port of call was the 12 on the marsh summer grazing who have been contained for 12 days in one field till they got used to being outside. Cleaned out the water tank which is fed with rain water of the barn roof into big tanks and is gravity fed which is slow running but effective. Then to let them have the run of all the marsh, best way open the gate and walk in front with the dog they all fallow it is a lot easier than driving them. Then on to the others who have sure eaten a lot of grass since they were turned out but looking good on it, the weather is set fair foe this next week but to be honest we could do with a drop more rain. Are we going to have a repeat of last year when it was so hot, I hope not as when silage was done the grass never came back cheers Buzzer.

Steers are looking good Buzzer.

I think you are in Mr Gee’s bad books chap after your last comment about a car being in the pic ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

He sent me this one which i must say is a cracker taken somewhere last week ! :wink:

Here you go Wrighty one I found on another thread, so this is how they used to look but can you remember this colour scheme, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Here you go Wrighty one I found on another thread, so this is how they used to look but can you remember this colour scheme, Buzzer

That is Colin’s latest purchase he’s driving it to help us lads out, been all over this week just tipped below Cardiff now making mi way back up north…

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20190516_013.jpg

Hi all, hey Buzzer the way the picture of the yellow Volvo is parked look’s like he is coupled up to 2 trailer’s or perhap’s he is like the Australian road train’s. :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, hey Buzzer the way the picture of the yellow Volvo is parked look’s like he is coupled up to 2 trailer’s or perhap’s he is like the Australian road train’s. :sunglasses:[/quo

Dont think so Kev that Stan Robinson tried to get that approved but with no joy.

Wrighty i never knew that was a present day motor and a Volvo at that and what’s with the bulk haulage bit, never ending surprises with your lot. Bet you fancy a go on the Volvo just to compare but Colin must be a good old boy helping you lot get up to speed, bet he don’t do nights out though :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: cheers Buzzer

Buzzer i do believe Stan Robinson did run a double for a while on a night trunk between Stoke-on -Trent and Newton abbot but was not very successful also i think i am right i saying Denby from Lincoln had a little go without any success. Seem to remember an article in Truck magazine way back . :sunglasses:

Buzzer:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, hey Buzzer the way the picture of the yellow Volvo is parked look’s like he is coupled up to 2 trailer’s or perhap’s he is like the Australian road train’s. :sunglasses:[/quo

Dont think so Kev that Stan Robinson tried to get that approved but with no joy.

Wrighty i never knew that was a present day motor and a Volvo at that and what’s with the bulk haulage bit, never ending surprises with your lot. Bet you fancy a go on the Volvo just to compare but Colin must be a good old boy helping you lot get up to speed, bet he don’t do nights out though :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: cheers Buzzer

Yeh you’re right Buzzer, Colin uses it for mopping up the local stuff, bought it for reasonable money so he can afford to have it parked up the odd day if needs be…
Loading Congleton and St Helens int morning then tipping Warcop and Langwathby then yam…

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20190516_012.jpg

Yesterday when I went to collect my water bowser from the marsh I could not find me steers, looked everywhere and even went back in the evening but no sighting, today took the full bowser back and hey presto there they were laying down bloated but they came to greet me. This morning my fox returned and my mate had a shot at it but I think he was too far away to kill it but maybe he got some lead in him and will go away and die, he dropped the chicken he had killed so went away hungry, Buzzer

Just done my Sunday check on all the steers and all looking fine but the dog went off piste in the stinking marsh mud so he had to be bathed on return, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Just done my Sunday check on all the steers and all looking fine but the dog went off piste in the stinking marsh mud so he had to be bathed on return, Buzzer.

So Buzzer do you run this Livestock jobby “kosher” like P&L balance sheet sort of thing ? Judging by the fastidious and judicious bidding at Frome I guess you might be running a bit of a “tight ship” and always turn in a good margin ( like you did when you were running the motors) or is it just brass "in and out " off the Arse pocket nowadays using taxed income only of course ? :wink: :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis unlike you who sold your company to a third party I have two sons who basically have been living in the transport world as they grew up, at first as many companies do we ran it from home in the kitchen in fact moving the fax machine of table for dinner and as it grew we expanded into a little office in the garden and then progressed to having a yard with mobile offices within and now to our present yard.
When I retired from the day to day I had me horses to keep me occupied and as they say you have to have something to keep you busy, when they went two years ago I started having more cattle as land opportunities presented themselves, love going to market and trying to buy cattle at my idea of a good sum and I suppose the farming bug I always had in my blood being brought up in that environment in fact my first lorries were run from the old mans farm.
Back to the cattle, i dont think anyone is going to make a fortune out of it as alot of farmers do not cost there real time when working out the odds, alot do it as they know nought else where as my pleasure is just walking round them making sure all is well and the environment is far less busy than the transport world. Personally I am pleased to be out of day to day transport as things have changed dramatically, you would go banana’s if you were involved today, my boys are glad im’e out of it cos if I was still there we would probably be in a tribunal every week.
When I sold my shares I paid of the mortgage and gave the boys a lump sum, you cant take it with you and I hate the idea of giving the government a slice and you know how I stand with todays politicians and the way things are run. If you have a nice place to live and are comfortable that is all that matters, good health is important and no one knows when there time is going to be up so the best way is to do what you enjoy while you can and I trust you do the same.
On the transport side of things my boys only run 10 trucks today as apposed to thirty plus in the 90’s and subcontract a lot to companies we know we can trust to work to our standards, you cannot find drivers easily as in my day and good ones who want to stay away abroad are even harder to find.
Hope this answers your mind thoughts mate and the truth is probably I don’t make a fortune out of cattle but enjoy doing it, not VAT registered & do it with my savings, Buzzer.

Top man Buzzer ! :wink: Is that one of your Lads shouting something in the background I can hear ? " 'eff off father you are making the yard look untidy " or words to that effect ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Top man Buzzer ! :wink: Is that one of your Lads shouting something in the background I can hear ? " 'eff off father you are making the yard look untidy " or words to that effect ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis never gave a monkeys on dress and hated wearing a tie, I always thought its about the service you could give a customer and never judge a book by the cover, my lads are different to me in that sense they do make the effort when clients visit or if they go to meetings with them anyways I have no figure for posh suits and the like but still managed to get on and build the company :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: Buzzer

As usual Buzzer, an interesting read. I’m not into farming at all, but I do love yours and Wrighty’s country column, it has made me look at the surroundings with more interest as we make our monthly trip down to our daughter’s at Bicester and though my wife never reads any of this she knows what I’m talking about when I see a Davies truck, which we always seem to - last trip but one going through the toll gates on the M6 toll road and last week on the M40. ‘There’s one of Buzzer’s!’ - even if they’re not actually yours any more.

John.

hi Wrighty
Would Colin have any loads to north next Friday Iam going from Hampsire to Dingwall with a stepframe so anything on the way will be a help

Cheers

Rich

tribsa:
hi Wrighty
Would Colin have any loads to north next Friday Iam going from Hampsire to Dingwall with a stepframe so anything on the way will be a help

Cheers

Rich

Rich sent you a PM. Buzzer.

Buzzer:

Bewick:

Dennis never gave a monkeys on dress and hated wearing a tie, I always thought its about the service you could give a customer and never judge a book by the cover, my lads are different to me in that sense they do make the effort when clients visit or if they go to meetings with them anyways I have no figure for posh suits and the like but still managed to get on and build the company :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: Buzzer

Come of it Buzzer there are shots of you on this site proceeding to your office on your preferred mode of transport ( 4 in hand) and also suitably attired ( Top hat etc.) at the time for attending to business at the Counting House !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.