Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Hi BUZZER, Nice looking beasts they will be looking good before Christmas, are they looking for ANDREW they could have spotted greener grass, has he jumped the fence again ? dbp.

peggydeckboy:
Hi BUZZER, Nice looking beasts they will be looking good before Christmas, are they looking for ANDREW they could have spotted greener grass, has he jumped the fence again ? dbp.

Not yet mate he is at home on RAR hope he finds time to post some shots as people have been asking, cheers Buzzer

Buzzer:
Now all me steers are out to grass I cleaned out the barn again, bought a new second hand single axle Cherry tipping trailer bit better suited to the size of my tractor and it has an hydraulic rear gate and its a revelation, no more getting out to release the back door just sit in the tractor and pull the leavers brilliant, washed of the Avant and put away.
Sorted out 45 old chicken gone to new homes so got to order some replacement pullets for next week, off to check the cattle now and then I think a cup of tea, that’s todays farming update, sorry Bob " Snapper " seems to have suffered a relapse not many pictures lately, cheers Buzzer

Steers look good chap. Sounds like its all go. Out of intrest how often do you have to replace the chickens ,i take it they stop laying ■■

DEANB:

Buzzer:
Now all me steers are out to grass I cleaned out the barn again, bought a new second hand single axle Cherry tipping trailer bit better suited to the size of my tractor and it has an hydraulic rear gate and its a revelation, no more getting out to release the back door just sit in the tractor and pull the leavers brilliant, washed of the Avant and put away.
Sorted out 45 old chicken gone to new homes so got to order some replacement pullets for next week, off to check the cattle now and then I think a cup of tea, that’s todays farming update, sorry Bob " Snapper " seems to have suffered a relapse not many pictures lately, cheers Buzzer

Steers look good chap. Sounds like its all go. Out of intrest how often do you have to replace the chickens ,i take it they stop laying ■■

Hi Dean regards to the chicken I buy them Point of lay they are about 20 weeks old then and keep them for about 18 months, bought in batches of 40 or so and they have different coloured leg rings so I know how old they are, this way you have continuity in egg production. They are hybreds and I buy them from a farm who rear about 400,000 a year near Fordingbridge, cheers Buzzer

Well busy as usual out and about the garden, strimmed round edges then a mow make it tidy, then sprayed the edges of our private footpath, cleaned out two water tanks and the one in me paddocks had about two inches of mud in the bottom and that’s just deposits from chicken and wild bird peckers but then again I have not done that tank for several years. then a cup of tea and walk down to check the steers and on to the pub where they had a display of classic motorcycles, there was a nice BSA Goldstar there but the chap was not interested at my K10 offer to ride her home so walked back for another cup of tea, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:

DEANB:

Buzzer:

Hi Dean regards to the chicken I buy them Point of lay they are about 20 weeks old then and keep them for about 18 months, bought in batches of 40 or so and they have different coloured leg rings so I know how old they are, this way you have continuity in egg production. They are hybreds and I buy them from a farm who rear about 400,000 a year near Fordingbridge, cheers Buzzer

Thanks for explaining about the chickens chap. :wink: 400,000 a year works out at 1096 new chicks a day.

Dean I am only a small customer of POL chicken where I get mine they have contract rearers as well as them selves and supply the massive outfits of todays farming, Buzzer

Morning all yes still here but unable to post pics from phone it says file size too big? Nothing changed so don’t know why? Sent admin an e mail but just got a stock reply !! I will keep trying fingers crossed!!
Cheers Andrew

Buzzer:
Dean I am only a small customer of POL chicken where I get mine they have contract rearers as well as them selves and supply the massive outfits of todays farming, Buzzer

:wink:

Andrew Morrison:
Morning all yes still here but unable to post pics from phone it says file size too big? Nothing changed so don’t know why? Sent admin an e mail but just got a stock reply !! I will keep trying fingers crossed!!
Cheers Andrew

Andrew, its a pain in the arse you need to edit your pics and resize them from 100% to 90% and they should load ok. :wink:

Buzzer:

Morning John,
I remember Webbs had a hatching station just over the M27 on the road from Totton to Romsey with two Scania V12 engines as generators, I could not believe the number of chics hatching every day. All there catching trucks were unmarked for obvious reasons and they had a place in Winnal trading estate Winchester and another in Lymington, wow, a long time ago, are they still trading ■■ Harvey

HRS:

Buzzer:

Morning John,
I remember Webbs had a hatching station just over the M27 on the road from Totton to Romsey with two Scania V12 engines as generators, I could not believe the number of chics hatching every day. All there catching trucks were unmarked for obvious reasons and they had a place in Winnal trading estate Winchester and another in Lymington, wow, a long time ago, are they still trading ■■ Harvey

Harvey don’t know about Winchester but Lymington I think is now all built on suspect the same as the first, that hatching unit is still there but not sure what it is used for now JD

Hi all yes Harvey Webbs did have a processing factory at Winnall but long gone now still factories though. :sunglasses:

Today I went to collect 50 new chicken, not POL as they are only 17 weeks old so wont see any eggs for about a month. They have got white leg rings on this time so I can keep track of how old they are, also we clip one lot of wing feathers off so they cant fly and just go round in circles. Loaded up my entries for our local collective " cuckoo " sale tomorrow and the weather looks set fair so should be a good turn out of punters to bid for my old crap and every one else’s, Buzzer

DEANB:

Andrew Morrison:
Cheers Andrew

Andrew, its a pain in the arse you need to edit your pics and resize them from 100% to 90% and they should load ok. :wink:

Hi Deanb so I’ve been told just don’t know how to do it on my phone?? What I don’t get is it was ok one day then next no good & same phone I’ve been using for 18 months!! I’ve even tried posting pics I’ve posted before without a problem but now a problem puzzles me bloody technology!! I will have to transfer em to my puter when I get time & can find it?not used it for a while!!
Thanks anyway will get there in t’end??
Cheers Andrew

Buzzer:

HRS:

Buzzer:

Morning John,

Harvey don’t know about Winchester but Lymington I think is now all built on suspect the same as the first, that hatching unit is still there but not sure what it is used for now JD

Webb’s were bought out by Faccenda from Brackley then the Webb’s plants around here were all slowly closed down

Interesting day yesterday after rounding up all the useless stuff I have been accumulating over a few years something we all seem to do because we think it will come in handy one day but that time never arises, loaded up the pickup and off to our local collective sale, mainly agricultural but every thing else as well. Got there early and then your challenge to find the marker for your allotted items, that all done time for a cup of tea and a bacon roll, then go and get my bidding number just in case there was something that took me fancy which it did buying three lots for a total of 44 quid but after a tally up my lots total came to 545 pounds so I came home with a monkey less the commission so well pleased, got home and had a nice cup of tea and was well Knackered after a day of walking round and round the sale field but the weather was good and plenty of punters, Cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer. You never fail to amaze me. Your little missive brought two old sayings to mind.

" If Buzzer fell in a cesspit he’d come up smelling of roses and carrying a box of Black Magic "

" You never see a farmer on a bike. Only his cow Man!"

Horticultural comment. I’ve planted 25 Japanese maple seeds some weeks ago. Only 2 came up.

I repotted them and now six weeks later they are an inch and a halt tall! Good going or what?

Are they slow growers. Any advice will be gratefully received. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Buzzer. You never fail to amaze me. Your little missive brought two old sayings to mind.

" If Buzzer fell in a cesspit he’d come up smelling of roses and carrying a box of Black Magic "

" You never see a farmer on a bike. Only his cow Man!"

Horticultural comment. I’ve planted 25 Japanese maple seeds some weeks ago. Only 2 came up.

I repotted them and now six weeks later they are an inch and a halt tall! Good going or what?

Are they slow growers. Any advice will be gratefully received. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Charlie I hope for your sake its not a case of misreading the label as if its Japanese Knotweed you planted you will be in Winchester prison before you know it, Buzzer

PS. anyone and his uncle can grow that stuff.

Screen+Shot+2013-09-05+at+4.38.57+PM.png

Did an early morning check on all the steers this morning, first port of call was the 12 on the marsh summer grazing who have been contained for 12 days in one field till they got used to being outside. Cleaned out the water tank which is fed with rain water of the barn roof into big tanks and is gravity fed which is slow running but effective. Then to let them have the run of all the marsh, best way open the gate and walk in front with the dog they all fallow it is a lot easier than driving them. Then on to the others who have sure eaten a lot of grass since they were turned out but looking good on it, the weather is set fair foe this next week but to be honest we could do with a drop more rain. Are we going to have a repeat of last year when it was so hot, I hope not as when silage was done the grass never came back cheers Buzzer.