Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Evening Buzzer

Back to it today two drops Clitheroe and Radlett, now parked up near Membury loaded for Sandy int morning.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20190423_001.jpg

Wee farming update for those intrepid followers, today I mustered the troops and we ran all the Angus steers through the crush to inject for black leg and to worm them, never have I had such a quiet placid bunch of cattle, reckon I could have very near done it on me own, this in readiness for the big turn out on grass, Buzzer.

Just found another company/OD with the same name, popular are the Davies, cheers Buzzer

Hi Buzzer, yes I keep up with your posts, although silent -ish sometimes, fascinating BLACK LEG I have had to look it up in cattle diseases what a minefield about 25 different things you have to keep on top of ,I bet the verts love cattle rears’ what a bout “wooden tongue” wot is that then? lol chees dbp.

Now Buzzer I’m still waiting for some “gen” on Ellisons Transport ? This would be early 1970 so is it out of your time zone for that date , OK if it is it was just my memory from that time “jogged” and I thought Ah! Bisto !!! no Ah! Buzzer will know ! Cheers Dennis.

“Buzzer” about time we had some pics of the steers chap ! :wink:

Dennis I do not recall any encounters with Ellison’s but Little Richard QC thinks they may have been from Pompy also it was a tad early in my career to remember.

Dean the steer’s are looking good and when I turn some out next week I will try and remember to take some shots of them, we littered them yesterday and I was trying to put in half a bale of maize silage but it collapsed so they ended up with the whole shebang but it wont do them any harm and they look well on it to boot.

Busy yesterday as after tending the steers we planted some tomato plants one of me egg customers kindly gave me and as I had plenty of compost and a load of pots the twenty seed spuds left over are now in the greenhouse, never done spuds like that before so will see how that pans out.

Wrighty at least you had a bit of a break over the weekend and bet you are glad of a bit of nice weather or down here everyone wants a bit of rain to Gel the grass on a bit, not had any fert put on this year as the grond had loads of FYM at the backend last year, Cheers Buzzer.

Bewick:
Now Buzzer I’m still waiting for some “gen” on Ellisons Transport ? This would be early 1970 so is it out of your time zone for that date , OK if it is it was just my memory from that time “jogged” and I thought Ah! Bisto !!! no Ah! Buzzer will know ! Cheers Dennis.

John…With regard to Ellisons Transport, I seem to remember vaguely that when I was with Robert Baillie
of Horndean from early 1970, Ellisons were used occasionally on the Guernsey Tomato work, usually 1 drop
full loads for the few wholesale markets whose deliveries were on the steel Guernsey pallets, Liverpool,
Gateshead (Team Valley), and Glasgow. Us shunters at Baillies Wigan & Doncaster depots did mainly multidrop
markets, Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan, Sheffield, Bradford, Leeds, etc, all handball. Most wholesalers give the
drivers a “Tip”, usually 2 shillings or 2/6 (Half Crown), which would often total about £1.00 a day, and the
Atkinson cab would be well stocked with fruit & veg for home. We were classed as day drivers, but if we
were on Carlisle and Kendal, it was midnight start, 4 a.m. was the normal start time for most other markets.
:smiley: Ray.

Oh well ! thanks for the bit of gen on Ellisons Ray maybe someone will pop up with more info but I won’t hold my breath as it is more or less 50 years ago I am talking about ! Cheers Dennis.

Thought this was appropriate for your thread Buzzer as you had a Ford and it has an agricultural theme.

DEANB:
Thought this was appropriate for your thread Buzzer as you had a Ford and it has an agricultural theme.

0[/quot

Obviousley that ( i think ) Fordson Major on the back of that D500 was not loaded by our old mucker Wrighty as i cant see any straps securing it or chains come to that, not sure if ratchet straps were about back then, should be double dolly crossovers round all four wheels IMHO we used to do that on the SCAC trailers when we loaded Massey tractors out of Coventry in the 80’s, good load that was no sheets and hardley had time to get a 45 while loading tut tut, cheers Buzzer

I’m sure the driver would have put the handbrake on the tractor as hard as he could before driving away - ‘It’ll be right!’

John.

[/quote]
The bull is not to impressed with it !!!
Now if had been a little TD 70E he would have been lulled into a perfect sleep, eh !! Harvey

Mr Gee caught another one of yours Buzzer. :wink:

Shame about the car in that picture Dean, would have been good if it was not there but thanks for posting anyways, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Shame about the car in that picture Dean, would have been good if it was not there but thanks for posting anyways, Buzzer

Trouble is he is the passenger in a vehicle taking alot of these pics so he does not have alot of time to take the pic. :wink:

Well its the 1st of May which for me is turnout day on the council summer grazing, 12 of the biggest went down there and the other 21 on a field I was going to make haylage on, they look good out on the grass and less work as well just the daily checks, they are very quiet too which helps when you have to handle them, all Aberdeen Angus X with named sires so should do well when they go on, they do love a bit of doctor green.
The 1st of May also is a sort of milestone of sorts with Davies International as its 25 years since we went limited after another 23 years beforehand as a partnership with my good Lady and although not quite so many trucks as in the past we are alive and kicking now run by our two sons so all in all a day to savour.
One extra picture just to show our pal Wrighty how to load straw, not that you would want to go to far with this load if it was a tad windy, well that’s the report today a bit of farming content and a bit of trucking as well so hope it pleases all, cheers Buzzer

untitled.png

Buzzer:
Well its the 1st of May which for me is turnout day on the council summer grazing, 12 of the biggest went down there and the other 21 on a field I was going to make haylage on, they look good out on the grass and less work as well just the daily checks, they are very quiet too which helps when you have to handle them, all Aberdeen Angus X with named sires so should do well when they go on, they do love a bit of doctor green.
The 1st of May also is a sort of milestone of sorts with Davies International as its 25 years since we went limited after another 23 years beforehand as a partnership with my good Lady and although not quite so many trucks as in the past we are alive and kicking now run by our two sons so all in all a day to savour.
One extra picture just to show our pal Wrighty how to load straw, not that you would want to go to far with this load if it was a tad windy, well that’s the report today a bit of farming content and a bit of trucking as well so hope it pleases all, cheers Buzzer

Evening Buzzer

We can load straw like that just need some very long straps to go over it…, 16’ 6" is high enough for me we do enough damage to trees at that. Busy at work been on tractors so far this week Suffolk, Essex, and Penrith this afternoon off up Scotland with machinery tomorrow.
Nearly finished lambing now and the hard part begins, keeping them alive which teks doin next job is clearing the meadows ready for cropping aye it’s all go. Your steers look happy in the grass, and there’s nowt better than a quiet sit watching them graze.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20190428_003.jpg

WP_20190501_007.jpg

WP_20190501_005.jpg

Hi Buzzer, Congratulations on the milestone and still trading is the main thing, as so many very big company’s are hitting the skids now, what is the reason for so many old company’s folding. Them black cattle sure look good at turn out, and the angus breed go for a premium anyway. So pleased wrighty and yourself are still posting photo’s as ain’t had any from Andrew for quite a while now, is he still with Davies ?, maybe been sent were there’ no signal and will come back with a couple of page of photo’s. All the bet to all. Bobs

Now all me steers are out to grass I cleaned out the barn again, bought a new second hand single axle Cherry tipping trailer bit better suited to the size of my tractor and it has an hydraulic rear gate and its a revelation, no more getting out to release the back door just sit in the tractor and pull the leavers brilliant, washed of the Avant and put away.
Sorted out 45 old chicken gone to new homes so got to order some replacement pullets for next week, off to check the cattle now and then I think a cup of tea, that’s todays farming update, sorry Bob " Snapper " seems to have suffered a relapse not many pictures lately, cheers Buzzer