Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Will wait for Mappos call Richard…
Shall I tell him he’s got a small part or will you?

Nasty that shoulder JD , I ripped a rotator cuff and ligaments last year… Lots of Physio sorted it and was able to get away without surgery… Painful and debilitating though.

Bear from Louth…
Welcome. A sad tale you have , all that trauma and loss of livelihood. Jog on steady mate. :wink:

First nice input from Bear as Baldrick said and sorry about you demise from the driving world and glad you like the banter.

Walked the dog “Woody” this afternoon in me field and took a couple of shots of the growth of grass, you can see the lines of the result of the direct drilling especially where the muck heap used to be, this is not as visible in the permanent pasture but a lot of grass there and tempted to feed it off but then it may get trodden out and that would be not good. Don’t know if I could harrow in the spring because of the volume of grass maybe just fertilize and roll we shall see.

Wrighty at least working over Christmas there should be less traffic about if that is any consolation and I suspect you get time off in lieu and as we know farming does not switch of for holidays where animals are concerned, cows need milking and then your needed to move milk and all the others need feeding and littering, on Christmas day I always give me horses a little extra hard grub silly I know as they don’t know its a holiday must be soft in the head or summit in me old age, cheers Buzzer.

PS. Wrighty you would have sheep eating that grass off I bet.

Photo0595.jpg

Photo0594.jpg

Evening Buzzer

Our sheep would love some grass like that but it will be about May before they see any, at the moment 205 are eating a big bale of silage a day.
Slow afternoon at Leeds arrived to tip cream at 14.30 and pulled the pin at 19.35 still not tipped, will have 9 off and go back in the morning hopefully it will be empty…

Cheers Wrighty.

Well today the old Isuzu Grafter was doing just that, bit of wood hauling from the Council ground I had in the Summer. We loaded the light stuff by hand but the bigguns we used the tractor loader, reckon we had a good two ton on her so hope she can tip it we shall find out tomorrow, took woody the Lab with us and he soon found summit to chew on, Buzzer.

Photo0596.jpg

Photo0597 (2).jpg

The ‘puppy’ is growing fast, Mr D.

Now looking at this picture you could be forgiven thinking it was at the early part of the last century but it is in fact only taken in the last five years and I do know the driver but nice to see the carriage has been preserved, Buzzer.

15390729_10154657459840281_1881643122498121540_n.jpg

Nuff said “snappers” first on DIT.

Buzzer:
Now looking at this picture you could be forgiven thinking it was at the early part of the last century but it is in fact only taken in the last five years and I do know the driver but nice to see the carriage has been preserved, Buzzer.

Come on Buzzer it’s an Omnibus surely ! and I agree with you that the Driver looks an unsavoury individual so the shot may have actually been taken in the late 1800’s, some of those coach drivers of Yore were a right rum bunch apparently :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Nice turned out rig all the same and those two horses would have been a “cut above” the usual type that pulled the “Clapham Omnibuses” Cheers Dennis.

Just incase you didn’t get our snail mail Christmas card…

Now then Dennis here’s one of me when I started out in the transport game, Buzzer

15171180_680714698770936_1277326674744973695_n.jpg

Good morning everyone, I hope you are all ready for a well earned rest. Just wanted to wish you all of you on here, friends and colleagues from Southampton and beyond a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from all of us at DIT.

SNOW DIT.jpg

Horry:
Good morning everyone, I hope you are all ready for a well earned rest. Just wanted to wish you all of you on here, friends and colleagues from Southampton and beyond a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from all of us at DIT.

All the best to to the Trucking and Farming Davies’s, have a good one lads,

Good morning Horry.

Many thanks for your good wishes. The same to you and yours and
also your elderly father Be good to him as you only get the one.

Hope all the lads are home for Christmas Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Yesterday started with some good news as amongst the Christmas cards was a big white envelope from HCC offering to renew the grazing licence on the land I had last year and a rent increase came with it but that was £25, I stopped for a moment and pondered weather we could afford to that increase and thought why not so sorted that on the phone and sent them a cheque.

Then off I went with the team off horses for a drive although the weather was a bit misly we carried on with our drive with the wet weather gear on, but then the bad news. Went to put a bale of haylage into the cattle and while removing the net wrap noticed a black blob at the rear of the shed which turned out to be a beautiful big Belgian Blue bull calf but it was dead and stone cold and I was gutted I can tell you but as they say if you have livestock you will almost certainly have deadstock, such a shame and now not sure what to do with the cow. Do I cut my losses and sell her for meat and put the money towards going again, or keep her for a year with out a calf. Had thought of getting a substitute to put on her but she may not have taken to that then you are scuppered but that’s farming life for you ups and downs as they say.

Now Im’e not one for celebrating Christmas but that does not stop me wishing every one well and look forward to new adventures in 2017.
We have had the shortest day so Spring is on it’s way and I for one cant wait, Winter is always depressing with limited day light hours so you need to scoot on to get things done while you have the light, seasons greetings to those who contribute and also those who follow this thread Buzzer.

Photo0599.jpg

Evening Buzzer

What a shame that looks like a belting calf, it’s very disheartening when you have a death for no obvious reason.
As you say wether you let the cow go or run her again is a difficult one, we have an electronic device called a “moo call” which clamps onto the cows tail.
You put it on when the cow is about 2 days off calving and it detects movement i.e. cocking of the tail or restlessness, it then sends you a text message and then another about an hour later so far ours has been 100% accurate and is very useful if like us your land is spread about.

Back in today for five days did one into Skelmersdale then one into North Wales now back up at Preston for the night, well it looks like Baldrick is sending us some rough weather tomorrow which is a shame because we have been getting used to a bit of dryer weather…

Cheers Wrighty.

Good day all,
I might not know ever body posting on this fabulous tread but Happy Christmas to all .

Happy Christmas All!!

Spare a thought for Wrighty hard at work… At least he’s got plenty of cream for his mince pies.

Storm Barbara veered off to Jockland but the next ones a comin!

Have a good day Gentleman… :smiley:

Seasons greetings to all the readers and contributors’ to this great thread, Sat in Westbury this morning tipping cream don’t know what’s after this yet…but I finish tomorrow for two days so that’s when I get mi dinner.
Spoke to Alice this morning and she said it was blowin a gale at home and the Rayburn wasn’t very hot…! so it could be a slow job cooking that bird…

Wishing you all a happy Christmas and a prosperous new year, all the best

Wrighty

wrighty:
Seasons greetings to all the readers and contributors’ to this great thread, Sat in Westbury this morning tipping cream don’t know what’s after this yet…but I finish tomorrow for two days so that’s when I get mi dinner.
Spoke to Alice this morning and she said it was blowin a gale at home and the Rayburn wasn’t very hot…! so it could be a slow job cooking that bird…

Wishing you all a happy Christmas and a prosperous new year, all the best

Wrighty

And the same to you mate hope you and Alice get a bit of ewe time together, don’t know about every one else but looking forward to next year and the spring. Me & the Boss are off to our youngest sons for lunch. Littered the horses and filled there mangers already, fettled the chickens all clean and feeder full just the cows to litter now and put in a new bale of haylage so all happy on the animal front. Yesterday I spent starting to construct a Bull pen so I can separate him from the cows, just need a plumber now to do the water tank and we will be there.
All have a nice day where ever you are too all followers and contributors, soon be Easter egg time cheers Buzzer.

Happy Christmas to all on here, best wishes to all of you working :stuck_out_tongue: