Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

hi everyone some will know who i am some wont but horry helped me log in as i aint to clever on these electric boxes in my time we wrote it all on paper and dispatched it somehow. anyway its some time since i had anything to do with the day to day running but the real boss is still there mrs D. lets see who remembers me. bi bi for now.

Hi Buzzer nice to see you on here John I’m sure Horry will steer you through all the buttons and knobs :laughing: :laughing:
What you do now John is get all your photos on here !! :unamused:
Hope you liked the model of your old F12 C789BPO !

Regards Jimski

Hi John welcome good to see you on here

Hi John

Did you know you had such a following on hear? Nice to see see your still around, lot of the
old Davies special lovers on here.

Gel on…

Do you remember this one John?

Well Johnnie; Even you made it to the thread,well if I can do it anyone can.You and the boys and of course the ‘BOSS’ are still a topic of conversation.The Blue & Whites are never far from our thoughts,and still say that they were some of my best ever days working,many fond memories,and I think I had one of the best number plates.Just missed you both last year at the pub gathering.Hay all of you keep going and gelling on…BV :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Hi Buzzer and a very belated welcome to your own site.
you,re a living legend mate and i thoroughly enjoyed the years i worked for you.
We ran together many times in the early days and i remember we got ■■■■■■ once or twice as well.
Whoops sorry Jill, hope you did,nt read that. :unamused: :laughing:
As i,ve said before my fondest memories are of the two tone blue period. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Thanks for giving me a start all those years ago…Give my love to ‘THE BOSS’.
Tony AKA Tir Tone and also Blue Denim for those with a very long memory.

The man himself

That bloke in the last photo…wasn’t he in The Professionals?

Oh! Welcome to your own thread Buzzer!

Hey up John,hope you’re well mate.
I never did join up with the spesh crew but it was always a pleasure to run alongside the boys & the hospitality in your yard & over the road in Lorraines was second to none.
Pleasure to have met you & to have run with the boys.
Regards to one & all,
Flip.

Hello john nice to see you on here mate i dont come on this thread very often cant put up with the noise from the fridge motors, any way as i say good to see you on here and see you at tim sheppards in august. :laughing:

Hey up John how you doing number 1 Spesh all good I hope . Nice to see you on here , what’s that shipping out tonight on the Stenna out of Southampton tip Madrid reload Syds , I’m on the hydrofoil off the Island now can you pick me up .Ha Ha special days, spent with special people .Love to Mrs D and the young D,s . You GEL on steady now Boss LULT. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gerbil sb152:
Hello john nice to see you on here mate i dont come on this thread very often cant put up with the noise from the fridge motors, any way as i say good to see you on here and see you at tim sheppards in august. :laughing:

Hi Gerbil just found this thread, absolutely fascinating as I remember a lot of these characters from my time on Sun Valley and parking in Buzzers yard at weekends. Nigel “zebedee” Smith ,Roy Smith, Shirley, Wee Jock, John Eaton (Ocean Clipper who hailed originally from Redbrook between Coleford and Monmouth) Kwozzy plus lots of others I recognise from pics but can’ put a name to yet - keep it coming chaps - Brilliant Stuff!!!

hi again tiz me i like to see some past employees on here its quite odd that you past speshes are still interested in whats goin on but i remember futher back than lots of you like my first job abroad which was for PBC european transport later to become british int. etc etc.people i remember there like pat scory and monsuer dereek as he was known plus a chap called baily cant remember his first name . we used to take rubber to amiens load apples back from angers shipping out on truckline poole in its early years 12 passengers on boat the rest had to fly out from hurn airport on the old push pull planes does anybody recall any one from this era.

A few pics, I found in the album, from the Croatia runs! Nice to see your boys still runnin over the water John,

Jim T,

Top-37.jpg

Top-35.jpg

Top-30.jpg

Top-29.jpg

Top-13.jpg

Top-6.jpg

Top-1.jpg

Nice picture of the ‘Grand Elk’ just finishing or about to start lunch in the passenger seat. After seeing the last picture containing Mr Mealing, reminded me his Father in Law at the time used to ‘manufacture’ those dashboard tables for the FH. If I remember correctly, he used to charge a bottle of scotch for one. He must have like the scotch as we had 33 motors at the time and nearly all of the lads had put an order in for one. Great photos Oddball.

I thought he used to be the host on a well known Sunday afternoon game show based on the theme of Darts, don’t forget your B-F-H Tone.

gazzer:
That bloke in the last photo…wasn’t he in The Professionals?

Hi John

Had Pat Scorey in today Monsieuer Derek known as the “Pope” was Derek Evans.

Balley’s first name was Jim as he was know as Bailley J and Pat was Scorey P!

Pat remembers your first unit a ‘C’ reg single screen Foden with a Gardiner 150!

He also remembers that you were promoted to an AEC but had a slight problem with unstable eggs■■?

Also a Scots man ex BRS had an accident where he drove a Foden called ‘Spirit of Dot’ into the water in Le Havre by the Fish Market with a load of candles he was then known as Monsieuer Canard!!

Some other drivers he remember are John (Animal) Smith, Keith Mapson, Micky Lamb, Brian (Fingers) Young, Leo Morgan, Brian (Tinker) Palmer in the office, Bob Payne, Kenny (Trout Mouth) Sommerton, Ray Marden (from same village as Jim Bailley), John ‘The Wig’, and a Tom Barber who changed his name to Toni■■?.

Here is a pic of Pat driving a French registered Berliet towing Leo Morgan in a small DAF back to Le Havre

Regards Pat

hi tiz i again wel l pat first where the hell did u get that buzby sticker from i thought i had an olde with an original normandy ferries ashtray thats when we shipped out of soton and you had to back on to the ships. by the way the man who went in the drink with candles was a fella called mcginn and sorry to say i think he was irish and came from andover.he was not to popular with franky allen owner of PBC as he was goin to capatalize on the candles during the power strikes of the early 70s.rumor has it still a few still ocasionaly float to the surface. i went for an interview at PBC i got took on a test drive in an ancient foden gate gearchange got 500yds up portsmouth road gave up first lorry there was a round frount aec with park royal cab moved on to a mandator GOW78l which was only 1yo. most of the trucks had no sleeper cabs and we were away all week sleeping on boards across the engine and all for about 30 quid a week all in those were the days.

Hi John here are a few more