Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

I used to sub for British International when Tim Allen and Peter Taplin were in the Sholing office,they had an office in Leca de Palmeria in Porto,a lady called Manuela ran it with Isobella and Ana Ferreira.
They had the Iveco Turbostars for the employed drivers,and super jumbo trailers.Trailers sent out to me in the french ports.
Peter Stainsbridge or Jelly legs,they used to call him,with black trousers like the ones Simon Cowel wears up to his belly button.
Then moved on to Freight Transfer,Paul Fogden,Bob Garnett of Eurotrans.

nice to have you on the thread mr davies,my uncles brother roy smith used to work for you.when i worked for westward commercials at calne tony bradfield from swindon used to come in with C789BPO for service didnt realise it was an ex davies truck until i saw some pics on this thread as i can only remember them being blue and white,love the pic of the 4 round headlight globetrotters lined up together.With the pics and stories on here it would make a brilliant book !

hi tiz i again horry has just returned from the goody shop with a scanner cos i got some pics which may not already been on here. we are in the throws of sein if we can get it to work. stand by your bunks and we will see were we go.regds.buzzer.

Hopefully this will come out ok. Can anyone name this man - He was the first ever Davies employee ex Whithorn Transport and shared the same name as a famous footballer from the 50’s

This was on cenis on my first trip to italy with a skillbeech trailer in 1978 bound for prato if i remember correctly. there was a customs strike and all entrys were blocked and it was hot.

this was an early pic does any one know who this is

Hi John, great pics mate…i reckon in the last photo it was either ’ Beana ’ or Horry.
I also remember the early Truckline days of flying over…On my first ever trip to Spain
in a non sleeper ERF pulling an Incotrans tilt to Barcelona i was ■■■■■■■■ myself over what lay ahead
but after surviving the flight and then the mad taxi ride to the hotel in Cherbourg i felt that i could handle anything.
I have to correct you John on one thing…The name of the Cabmont driver who put the candles into the drink was
definitely a Scotsman and his name was Jimmy Carlin. I did,nt know he was ex BRS as Pat said but he was certainly
an ex Smith of Maddiston driver alongside his Uncle Pat Carlin…Fergie will confirm this.

Do you remember John what might have been the first time we met when i took your overheight Skillbeech trailer
through the Blanc when we swapped trailers cos you had a higher fifth wheel than me in my Transport Services Merc.

mappo i do remember the meeting just south of paris as i recall you shipped to cherbourg for sqibby to pick up an abandon trailer which turned out to have a puncture or two and you spent all the running money gettin it fixed. sqibby asked me to lend you some money to get you on your way which he did repay as soon as i returned to home. I knew him from our school days and also worked for a short time for jim sqibb in the uk driving a guy big J also jim was one of the first to venture abroad must be in the late fiftys cant remember when it was but the high load was light tubus stacked two high.did this load many times a bottle of whisky would get the alarm buzzerturned off if the right man was on duty.will put some more pics to tease you later. bi bi for now . Buzzer was my early nick name but most of you know me as JD.

Yeh thats right John, i remember now…the trailer i picked up in Cherbourg had been impounded
cos someone had been collared with dodgy permits i think and i had to pay to get it released and
as you say get a couple of punctures sorted as well.
I know most people refer to you as JD but in the early days did,nt you get your Buzzer nickname cos you
were never off the bloody phone. As i recall you even had a ‘hotline’ in Les,s workshop in Northam. :laughing: :laughing:

TIR Tone your right i did have my own line in to ls comm workshop cos he got fed up with his customers not bein able to get thru.i have to say soory to pat duff as well i thought it was mcginn who dumped candles in the drink at le havre but thats how the memory fails . mcginn was amad B though .C U buzzer.

Buzzer:
TIR Tone your right i did have my own line in to ls comm workshop cos he got fed up with his customers not bein able to get thru.i have to say soory to pat duff as well i thought it was mcginn who dumped candles in the drink at le havre but thats how the memory fails . mcginn was amad B though .C U buzzer.

Hi John

No need to apolgise to me mate I am just relaying the messages of Pat Scorey

Hey John do you remember the Sunday we went to Shropshire I think to look at some Scanias on an old farm, one of them had no air filter on it at all!!! Then we went to Malcolm Harrisons where I think you bought 2 green 141’s later I think we called into Peter Gilders at Boughton on the Water on the way home.

Regards Pat

That would be this one then Pat…as previously featured.

Do ya remember this one JD, me and you taken in Spain ■■?

hi pat i do remember that day it was on a farm out in the sticks it was a family concern selling up and i think our main objective was to perloin there permits esp. the italien ones as i remember they only did british steele to france. We did go on to malcolm harrisons there was one 141 already there and we had to wait a couple of hours for the second one to come from carlisle. I never painted them as we were busy at the time and then never got round to it’ that arm reg one that TIR Tone posted was a beast and a half it could excelerate up lances hill with 20 ton behind it awesome motor.Heres one for you tone tip crynant re load fertilizer for petersfield memories eh.

Buzzer:
hi pat i do remember that day it was on a farm out in the sticks it was a family concern selling up and i think our main objective was to perloin there permits esp. the italien ones as i remember they only did british steele to france. We did go on to malcolm harrisons there was one 141 already there and we had to wait a couple of hours for the second one to come from carlisle. I never painted them as we were busy at the time and then never got round to it’ that arm reg one that TIR Tone posted was a beast and a half it could excelerate up lances hill with 20 ton behind it awesome motor.Heres one for you tone tip crynant re load fertilizer for petersfield memories eh.

I remember it well JD, that was Mondays and Tuesdays job then down to Pompey, pick up an STS tilt then ship out on Tues. night
to Le Havre, tip Televisions in Milan on Thursday, reload wherever on Friday and one hit back for Saturdays boat.
You were a bit of a hard taskmaster. :laughing: :laughing: ( aye and you tell young people that today bla bla bla ) :sunglasses: :laughing:
Well at least we had a larf and it was worth it for the brekkie at yours truly. :smiley: :smiley: Happy days.

Heres the boss in frount of the W.T.F.W.B.see if any of you can spot yourselves you may need your specs.

Hi Ya Specials

He he boys looks like I’m top of the Leader Reader board :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: LULT :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Well reader looks like you definitely went to specsavers. of course today they dont have a board but i suspect WUWA is at the top. Next year he will have been there longer than i was.Anyway reader wot u doin with yourself nowadays.regards buzzer.

well we keep looking this is an early fleet photo circa 1980ish as you can see someone has just washed down. The bionic bubble i gave £500 qwid wish i could find one today for that money

Hi Buzzer you special one . Christ I can remember when WUWA started how long has the number 1 driver been there now. Got a couple of vans running around the Island on a few contracts, also freight forwarding with heavy machines and boats to all destinations. Haven’t seen any of the blue and white ones over here lately matey are you still coming over here. Best Regards Reader .