Dave's Story

I am in the proccess of creating a new web site, this will be for all of us, my intention is to try & put as many photo’s & stories in one place.
Point me towards any pic’s that may be of interest.

Write the stories, I will put them on the site.

Dave.

I’ll look forward to that Dave, you’ve got some cracking photos. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

This is a Kazak tea house on the M32 in the middle of nowhere. I once drove with a hungarian by the name of tbor who told me this was the safest place in kazak to park!! You go and park next to it and spend a few dollars on some local stew and a few old beers and you had a great nights sleep as the family watched the trucks with their dogs all night. The people in these tea houses were some of the nicest you could wish to meet

This is also where you could always find the kamaz drivers all parked up for the night

stravaiger:
hat was the days when you thought nothing of an 8
mile hike oe’r the Pentland hills for a pint on a Sunday. Never did tell us how you got home :slight_smile:

8 miles there 10 miles back.
Colin you were there, get writing, let,s here your stories.
Harry, lots more pic’s to come.

The link to the long distance site is not gone live yet, maybe in two weeks .

Dave.

Absolutely fantastic Davie. I have seen some of your pictures in the past but have always wondered how you set about those types of trips.
Hope you keep the stories coming.

More pic’s added this morning, I am not even half way through this story, so keep checking back.
Dave.

here dave , i spent the a weekend with a few russanglia drivers that i know a while back , gordon henderson and wee charlie.

they used to run to tenghiz, traveling night and day , most of the time alone and they used to love the night time driving there.
they said it could be spooky alone on a bad road in the middle of nowhere with the occasional camel for company

they also used to get changeovers at smolensk or if they were lucky they got all the way back to rotterdam for a decent meal!

Hi Dave
I have just read the first part and I am now very happy that I turned down that work but I was always lazy with a soft backbone.
Regards Ian

You, and your mates, have my utmost respect !!

Hi Dave

Most people wouldnt believe the stories if you posted them!! Ive been in many a pleasant position going east but also plenty times when the seat of the jeans were clenched round the F16 seat. Good to see some of the photos of that area again tho :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The link to Long Distance Haulage is now active, this site is still under construction, more will be added as & when time permits.
Dave.
zarafshan.netne.net/

Followed the link to your site, very good, love the picture show, brings back fond memories :wink:

crank case:
here dave , i spent the a weekend with a few russanglia drivers that i know a while back , gordon henderson and wee charlie.

they used to run to tenghiz, traveling night and day , most of the time alone and they used to love the night time driving there.
they said it could be spooky alone on a bad road in the middle of nowhere with the occasional camel for company

they also used to get changeovers at smolensk or if they were lucky they got all the way back to rotterdam for a decent meal![/quote

Hi crank case

Night or day was the way for most heading to kazak after samara as the parking areas were few but also in the winter the days were short so you had little choice. Like any job you had people who preffered to run alone but also because the loads didnt always go at the same time so you just crack on and do the job as best you can and if you were lucky or unlucky (depending who you met up with) you run together as it would be safer for all concerned :slight_smile:

Hi Dave
I have enjoyed the photos and I am waiting for you to post the rest
Regards Ian

Brilliant site Dave,
I did only European work for 23 years,and regretted not doing the Middle East.
Total respect for you guys that did…fascinating reading,well done.
Glad to see a few of my photos in your album Dave, feel free to use any more if you wish.
There are a few good,ns on the earlier pages of the Davies thread. 89,s 111,s etc.
Regards…Tony

More pic’s added, have a look.

Dave.

davemackie:
More pic’s added, have a look.

Dave.

Dave were you always in convoy or did you venture alone as well?

I never went alone in the winter but i know a few guys who did and i think the must have been mad :sunglasses:

Trips varied sometimes I ran in convoy, others on my own, One trip to Zarafshan I went down without seeing anybody, when I got to the mine Dave Charlton was tipping there, he had only been a few hours in front of me all the way.
Dave.

Hi Dave, the site is looking good! great pics and interesting story, looks more scary than M/E to me.

Regards, Mackers