dashcam

Can anyone recomend a good, cheap dashcam? There seems ro be so many different models on ebay.

See instead of buying one on eBay why don’t you just get one from Halfords? That way if it develops a fault like so many of them do then it’s a simple trip to the shop to get it replaced rather than trying to deal with a Chinese seller. Halfords sell the Nextbase brand. Have a look on the website for the model numbers and watch some reviews of video quality on YouTube.

Remember if you buy cheap you pay twice. :smiley:

The best of the cheapie ones is probably this one- halfords.com/technology/dash … TkQAvD_BwE
Not biased as I dont have it, just spent probably hundred or so hours researching the subject and watching footage, reading reviews etc.

Buy a top quality micro card, cheapies are a waste of time. I use Sandisk, cost around £15, but worth it.

Steve-o:
See instead of buying one on eBay why don’t you just get one from Halfords? That way if it develops a fault like so many of them do then it’s a simple trip to the shop to get it replaced rather than trying to deal with a Chinese seller. Halfords sell the Nextbase brand. Have a look on the website for the model numbers and watch some reviews of video quality on YouTube.

Remember if you buy cheap you pay twice. :smiley:

Couldn’t agree more ^^ that’s exactly what I’ve done.

I hope I’m not hogging the thread op.apologies if I am. I went the Chinese way :unamused: this is my first foray into dash cams (It does 1080 HD/720/ AVI/VGA/night vision & parking motion sensor all for 14 Quid delivered :open_mouth:) Having said that It’s been working fine…until today. :blush: Now I’ve altered something in the menu by accident and I think it’s the file format !!! because up til now it’s been OK and I could playback the video files, you can set it to run at intervals 3 min,5 min, 8 min, 10 min & higher then it saves the file to the SD card & starts recording again.

I downloaded the files from my journey today onto my PC only for the video files to give an error message…This file isn’t playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt.!!

Apparently it’s a common thing with AVI files to become corrupted or unplayable when stopping recording & starting recording so often :cry:

What file format do you guys using dash cams record in?

Here’s a pic anyhow.

I have a SJCAM SJ4000 in my trackday car,it’s about £50 on ebay and very good quality recordings.It’s basically a Gopro copy.
Look on youtube for videos.
Like stated by someone else,buy a quality memorycard.

emmerson2:
Buy a top quality micro card, cheapies are a waste of time. I use Sandisk, cost around £15, but worth it.

You’re right, I was having trouble playing back the video files from the dash cam on the PC, The error message was saying ‘corrupted files’ I bought a new SD card (cant remember what brand, Not Sandisk but a better quality one than I had in) and alls OK again.

I’ve just been out to try it & uploaded the files to the PC & alls well. :smiley:

They covered dashcams on The Gadget Show this last week. Garmin was best overall and has voice control. Nextbase seem to be the one that many car insurers will give you a discount for using.

I have a nextbase 312gw and it does the job fine. HD quality and good night vision on it.

£99 from currys

I’ve had this £30 e-prance G1W in my car for the last 3 yrs never let me down yet, and at work every vehicle in the fleet (class 1, class 2 and vans) have fitted forward facing dashcams.

Reef:
I’ve had this £30 e-prance G1W in my car for the last 3 yrs never let me down yet, and at work every vehicle in the fleet (class 1, class 2 and vans) have fitted forward facing dashcams.

This will make your three wheeler look really good no doubt, you will look doubly cool with your yellow night vision glasses on too. :unamused:

UKtramp:

Reef:

This will make your three wheeler look really good no doubt, you will look doubly cool with your yellow night vision glasses on too. :unamused:

Awww, that’s adorable. I have my own forum stalker, hello little man :wink:

Reef:

UKtramp:

Reef:

Awww, that’s adorable. I have my own forum stalker, hello little man :wink:

Hi reef, yes unfortunately you have. You could always try to shoo me away with your intellect and whit. Think you might be on a loser there though. :wink:

Nextbase are excellent dashcams…70 quid or so…

Tip…you have to buy a micro sd card, for some reason anything over 32mb doesn’t work.

Tip2… buy 2 sd cards so you have a spare if you have an incident.

Tip 3… format the cam every two weeks or so.

Tip 4…make sure you check the suction on the windscreen…a couple of times my dashcam has fallen off.

Tip 5 … ignore UKTrump.

SD Cards do wear out, so be aware, also only buy from a reputable source, there are lots of fake cards out there, they get a 500meg card and reprogram it to say it’s 32gb, then when use it it fails to record after an hour or so because it’s basically full, the card just crashes.

I can recommend this camera …
techmoan.com/blog/2016/6/23/ … -used.html

Have used mine for around a year now & has been updated a number of times and will store the journeys onto my mobile should I wish.
The incident button has now been updated to 20sec’s of footage.

Not sure good and cheap go together too well, but avoid those things you find in motorway services as the night vision is awful.

Personally i went for a Nextbase 512G - not cheap but does well in sunlight and night level light. Do turn off the G sensor for a truck and as mentioned formatting the decent quality SD card helps (done from device).

trevHCS:
Not sure good and cheap go together too well, but avoid those things you find in motorway services as the night vision is awful.

Personally i went for a Nextbase 512G - not cheap but does well in sunlight and night level light. Do turn off the G sensor for a truck and as mentioned formatting the decent quality SD card helps (done from device).

Don’t think the night vision on my cheapie is too bad, I linked a video in my other post (click the e-prance name in my post) let me know what you think compared to yours (the tests are near the end of the video iirc)

Reef:
Don’t think the night vision on my cheapie is too bad, I linked a video in my other post (click the e-prance name in my post) let me know what you think compared to yours (the tests are near the end of the video iirc)

For the price it costs to be fair it isn’t a bad picture, what is it like without street lighting and following a car at night though?