Dashboard Camera

I am presently looking for a dashboard camera for my truck, but I am alarmed having just read this article:

suction-mounted-car-cameras.blogspot.co.uk/

So, is the writer correct? Would VOSA or Plod be looking to prosecute me for infringing these rules?

Though I can understand the reasons why looking at a screen is dangerous (though why anyone would want to look at a screen, when the scene is the same as through the windscreen escapes me) what about looking at your Sat Nav? Is that also illegal? They are TFT screens, similar in many ways to camera screens.

The range is bewildering. HD? G-Sensor? GPS?

Finally, assuming I can use a dash-cam legally, any recommendations? I’ve looked at ebay and Amazon, where else should I be looking? The main thing that puts me off about ebay, is that the ‘from China’ ones seem to offer better value, but the longish wait for delivery puts me off. UK sellers cost more for the same thing - so what do I do? Any thoughts would be appreciated. :confused:

Regulation 109 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (which makes having a TV screen visible by the driver while the vehicle is in motion an offence) specifically allows the use of display screens for satnavs, reversing cameras etc.

Humph. “A serious driving offence”. I really hate chumps like this claiming everthing is “serious” & “dangerous”. It just undervalues what really is “serious” & “dangerous”. Has to be a Daily Mail reading pensioner writing this.

A dash cam, would technically be an MOT fail, in the wiper’s swept area. The test station would just remove it & a note would appear on the test cert.
You would attract some greif with a LCD screen, as it is illegal to have a moving image in the driver’s view. I would guess a satnav isn’t classed as a moving image. As you say though why would want one ?

maybe taping over the LCD would solve that particular issue.

What a load of crap, I have never found them that bad when pulled, once paperwork and truck ok don’t think they worried about a camera. You could always turn off the lcd? Dont c why you would wand the lcd on anyway while driving.

I personally use one as one day I was doing 80kph down the M50 in Ireland driving a fully loaded petrol tanker and some ■■■■■■■ idiot slammed on the brakes in front of me. Lucky I did not rear end the idiot but if I did would like to be able to prove to my employer that I was not at fault. Was not the first time had the same thing in the uk while driving a car transporter loaded with 9 new cars. I think they a good idea.

As usual, a law intended for one thing that we all realise is dangerous, i.e. watching dvds whilst driving, or having a windscreen covered in teddy bears etc., is expanded to include something that isn’t, and is actually a benefit to road safety.
How do company fitted cameras get around this intrusion into the screen issue?

Secretelephant:
Humph. “A serious driving offence”. I really hate chumps like this claiming everthing is “serious” & “dangerous”. It just undervalues what really is “serious” & “dangerous”. Has to be a Daily Mail reading pensioner writing this.

A dash cam, would technically be an MOT fail, in the wiper’s swept area. The test station would just remove it & a note would appear on the test cert.
You would attract some greif with a LCD screen, as it is illegal to have a moving image in the driver’s view. I would guess a satnav isn’t classed as a moving image. As you say though why would want one ?

Absolutely spot on.

Roymondo:
Regulation 109 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (which makes having a TV screen visible by the driver while the vehicle is in motion an offence) specifically allows the use of display screens for satnavs, reversing cameras etc.

This is fact, I remember when it came into force, I was stopped in 1998 by police in Yorkshire because my small TV was monted on the dashboard on the passenger side, it was not switched on and I never got a ticket, just a friendly warning and I moved it to behind the seats. It makes me wonder when I watch Top Gear on BBC America how they get away with the TV screens that are now built into the dashboard of some new cars ?
The police don’t seem to give a toss about such things here. I see guys with full sized wide screen lap tops sitting on the dash moving down the road. On one team driving trip I did with another Brit we drove the whole way across Wyoming with a two screen DVD player on the dash, one screen each side, several cops saw us and didn’t give a damm, mind you ! there wasn’t exactly much use of the steering wheel on that drive as any of you who have crossed that state in I-80 will know :laughing:

Others have rightly covered the issues over positioning of the device so it leaves it to me to simply recommend a product.

I would suggest you look at Smart Witness who provide both hardwired or plug in versions - I would also advise that you get a 64gb sim card which will run in a loop for around 6 days.

smartwitness.co.uk

Mine hasn’t got a screen & can’t see the point of one as they’re too small to be any good for playback, just out the ad card in a computer for playback.

I would only buy from an English source as what do you do if you lose the software & need replacement? Mr. Chan won’t give a monkeys once he has your dinero.

A good site for info on dash cams
www.dashcamtalk.com and
www.techmoan.com for very god reviews on dash cams with videos
Both will tell you where to buy recomended sellers and how to tell copys from genuine ones

Many, many thanks to all of you. Your points have been noted, and I will certainly take them into consideration when I finally buy. I take the point of not buying one with a screen - I was thinking that the screen would be used for setting up, and would not be needed afterwards, so it would probably make sense to not have a screen at all.

As for the law…well, as it is a personal device, there is a good chance that I would have taken it out before the vehicle was MOT’d anyway. I am sure that I can find a mounting point where the sucker is outside the sweep of the wipers, even if the camera isn’t.

I’ll probably post when I have bought, and I may even include a vid or two assuming I see some things that are worth the effort of recovering the file.

:smiley:

Must have nowadays in my opinion, most people just won’t fess up if they’re at fault.

Surrey Driver:
…I would suggest you look at Smart Witness who provide both hardwired or plug in versions - …

Now that’s the sort of quality I’m wanting. Thank you for the link, much appreciated.

Even buying from a uk company they will have been made in the far east. And they will put their % on top.

Silver_Surfer:
Must have nowadays in my opinion, most people just won’t fess up if they’re at fault.

You’re right it is a must have now unfortunately and at the moment i use an app on my phone but am seriously considering something more professional.

It’s ok being made in the Far East as long as you’re dealing with an English firm so you can speak to someone in your lingo when it goes wrong or you need support.

:

Surrey Driver:
…I would suggest you look at Smart Witness who provide both hardwired or plug in versions - …

Now that’s the sort of quality I’m wanting. Thank you for the link, much appreciated.

this could be a good option for you, what im buying

Ambarella A5 Vico-TF2+ Premium

I’ve got an app for my I Phone called isymDVR which is a car video recorder and does a great job

I have a full HD Blackvue DR500G-wifi, you use an app on either your android or apple device to view the recodings remotely via wifi thus it has no screen.

Cracking piece of kit, but not cheap…it also has speed overlay and maps etc, the full monty.

Would not be without it, A little sample.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=LoeBU2U1tfk

The speed overlay is slightly lagged like most GPS speed devices btw.