Dash table - PG9

Just had a message from our upper gods…

If you have a dash table in your vehicle please remove it immediately, it is a PG9 offence. Thanks.

Is it really? I’ve had a dash table in the centre of a Scania 5 years. Never had a word said about it. Mind you I don’t have anything on it while driving, or a number plate or flag stuck to it. Just plain black. Just find it handy for laptop at nights etc.

I have never taken it out for MOTs either…

Opinions please!

Think this has been discussed before & if it block any of the windscreen view it is not allowed

But no doubt a VOSA bod will be along to clarify things up

animal:
Think this has been discussed before & if it block any of the windscreen view it is not allowed

But no doubt a VOSA bod will be along to clarify things up

Anything that blocks the windscreen where the wipers cover is a no no - at least thats what I seem to remember

I can’t see the drivers side wiper because of the raised dash over the dials etc

happysack:
I can’t see the drivers side wiper because of the raised dash over the dials etc

That is legal under the way that the vehicle has been designed but adding extra things to that is the possible issue

Satnav screens are another hot issue for all vehicles

If Vosa stop you and the guy is an arse and gives you a PG9 for it,as soon as you take it out the fore mentioned arse will remove the said PG9.

Just drive a few miles stop and put it back. :wink:

I’ve been pulled by Vosa and the officer never said a word about them.

Thetaff:
If Vosa stop you and the guy is an arse and gives you a PG9 for it,as soon as you take it out the fore mentioned arse will remove the said PG9.

I reckon each is viewed on its own merits at the time

Sitting low down in the seat is going to have a bigger impact that sitting higher in the seat for example

happysack:
Just had a message from our upper gods…If you have a dash table in your vehicle please remove it immediately, it is a PG9 offence. Thanks.Opinions please!

no, it’s fleet at chelford taking the Schmeicel! As long as it DOESN’T touch your windscreen, it’s legal! :open_mouth: what it is, is the numptys on agency at Appleton and Trafford park, who stamp on their brakes hence cracking the windscreen and Mr Richard Helmet Morgan and Mr Richard head Bolger " OOOOHHHHHH take that out the windscreen, it’s a pg9! :bulb: :question: :exclamation: :bulb: " like I said too the vostapo, WHY DO SCANIA SELL THESE AS ACCESSORIES■■? they believe THEIR BULLSTEIN, you couldn’t make it up!!! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: HTH :sunglasses:

had a table in for years and been stopped plenty of times with no problems with regards the table, but do know of people who have had to take them out tho they are not popular with the checkpoint at Castle kennedy. thought that with the advent of the windscreen mirror they would be ok as that enables you to see across the front of the lorry

Thetaff:

i’d probably do this if i had said table.
think the problem will arise with the “company” in the event of “any” accident.

worst case scenario your involved in an accident, if someone can say your view was obstructed because of said table, surprise, surprise its all coming back on you. the company have been advised its a no,no, they’ve advised all drivers of this, (covering their arses i guess) if you choose to ignore it, as usual i’m guessing it will come down to our favorite phrase, “driver responsibility.”

Well it is a GV9…( who keeps changing the names of these offences )…you can call it a PG9 if you wish, anyhow, i think each vosa operative, will interpret as he/she sees fit, Theres always been a spoken word about blocking windscreens etc, but i got stopped years ago coming out of Dover, so the first thing SHE said was " Get thos flags out now, or you`ll get a GV9" yeah she really was that polite, so while she went off doing other things, i sat there having a ■■■, as you do, then IT came back, " i wont tell you again" well she was also a liar, cos she did come back, and she did tell me again, only this time gavev me a GV9, then i removed them, she had a lot of paperwork to do ( mind she did make me wait a long time ) she had the right hump, so i guess thats the way to get up their snotty noses, perhaps they should look at the windscreens of some of the foreign trucks on our roads, but then again, its them overseas who dont worry about petty things like that, after all, a happy driver is a …happy driver…so leave him be…

ROG:

happysack:

That is legal under the way that the vehicle has been designed but adding extra things to that is the possible issue

Satnav screens are another hot issue for all vehicles

Firstly, my satnav sits below the level of the dashboard. I sit high in the cab so its in easy view if I just look down, and also in the swept area of the screen, but shouldn’t be an issue should it?

Also, if this is the case, how do we get away with dartags suckered onto the screen. I don’t know about other vehicles, but even the tag is bigger than the unswept area of the screen in a Renault Premium.

My friend is a senior vosa man and he says its a load of bull crap from rdc’s.
I have had one in for 4 years and been stopped loads of times and not been said.

On any newish truck the front mirror would cover anything the dash table was blocking.

I’ve not had any trouble but do take them out for MOT.

Unless you’re a dwarf i dont see a problem with dash table, why dont they concentrate on lorries with a poundstretcher tat display in their windscreen?

truckyboy:
Well it is a GV9…( who keeps changing the names of these offences )…you can call it a PG9 if you wish, anyhow, i think each vosa operative, will interpret as he/she sees fit, …

I think a GV9 is an immediate prohibition and a PG9 is a delayed prohibition, and you are right the VOSA persons interpret as they see fit and probably depends on the driver passing an attitude test.

I reckon somebody in the transport office of the op’s company has been listening to RDC conversations and hasn’t got a ■■■■■■■■ filters.

it is clearly laid down in the goods vehicle MOT manual.

The screen is divided into three areas. Area A is a 350mm wide section directly in front of the driver. Nothing must obscure vision in this area.

Area B is the swept are - so the bit the wipers wipe. If anything encroaches into this area by more than 40mm it is an MOT fail. Any item that is original equipment and supplied OEM as part of the vehicle is OK. Anything added afterwards isn’t.

Area C is the rest of the screen, no rules.

The MOT tester would also sit in the drivers seat and assess whether anything impairs his vision. if it does it is a fail.

GV9 or PG9 are now the same thing. One is goods vehicle the other passenger vehicle but they tend to issue either. makes no odds.

For a satnav or table etc they will issue the GV9, let you remove the obstruction and then lift the GV9. Unfortunately the damage is already done to the companies OCRS score. the new scoring system from 01/10/2012 means an immediate prohibition (which this would be) carries 100 points on the OCRS - that is a major amount of points considering a base score of over 25 gets you to a RED score.

Also - if you then put the item back and are stopped again … they will know the original GV9 was issued and it will mean far deeper ■■■■. Also - the boss will know the GV9 was issued because they all get posted to the operator - and they will probably beconcerned.

Just stop living and breathing…dont have anything that makes life easier…just sit there drive the truck…then on a night out just sit there again, the people that are kill joys dont realy have a life …they get off making others miserable with there petty red tape.

muckles:
I think a GV9 is an immediate prohibition and a PG9 is a delayed prohibition

PG9 is just the new name for what used to be a GV9, an immediate prohibition. A delayed prohibition is a PG9(D).

happysack:
Just had a message from our upper gods…

If you have a dash table in your vehicle please remove it immediately, it is a PG9 offence. Thanks.

Is it really? I’ve had a dash table in the centre of a Scania 5 years. Never had a word said about it. Mind you I don’t have anything on it while driving, or a number plate or flag stuck to it. Just plain black. Just find it handy for laptop at nights etc.

I have never taken it out for MOTs either…

Opinions please!

get a pg9 for it and it goes on the companys file with vosa and also affects their ocrs score which if was amber could put them in the red band