Dangerous Roundabouts

An accident today on the York A1237 bypass on the roundabout junction of the A59 may have claimed its first HGV victim.

Click here

This roundabout has just been rebuilt larger with more lanes to make it a bit more efficient but whilst rebuilding they have left negative cambers at crucial points on the roundabout making it very dangerous for trucks to negotiate at a reasonable speed, coupled with very narrow lanes an artic can have the trailer wheels in to the next lane.
The paper hasn’t really explained the accident very well, the pig lorry had just left the roundabout but lost it coming off and put it on its side, the trailer clipped a bread wagon who was approaching it.

a59.jpg

it wont be hard to imagine whats on the menu for the firemen tonight,and probably well into January…oinkoink…at least when it was announced that it was a bacon truck and a bread lorry then nobody has said the road was blocked by a large sandwich. :unamused:

The Newport SDR has crashes fairly often due to a couple of bad roundabouts.

weeto:
An accident today on the York A1237 bypass on the roundabout junction of the A59 may have claimed its first HGV victim.

Lorry carrying 200 pigs overturns after crashing with bread lorry in York - with pics & video | York Press

This roundabout has just been rebuilt larger with more lanes to make it a bit more efficient but whilst rebuilding they have left negative cambers at crucial points on the roundabout making it very dangerous for trucks to negotiate at a reasonable speed, coupled with very narrow lanes an artic can have the trailer wheels in to the next lane.
The paper hasn’t really explained the accident very well, the pig lorry had just left the roundabout but lost it coming off and put it on its side, the trailer clipped a bread wagon who was approaching it.

fixed link

well there’s only one thing that makes a wagon go over .and as it’s not happening every time a wagon goes through that roundabout it surly can only be speed

nick2008:
well there’s only one thing that makes a wagon go over .and as it’s not happening every time a wagon goes through that roundabout it surly can only be speed

+1

No such thing as a dangerous roundabout.

Contraflow:

nick2008:

+1

oh there is but you see it and drive accordingly
this is near me and has a dip on the RA…
google.co.uk/maps/@51.45242 … 1EuJfA!2e0

google.co.uk/maps/@51.45068 … N2dKYw!2e0
and this one is much the same. has a nasty dip but saying that take it too fast and it’ll flip but I can honestly say I’ve never seen anything go over on either

Very true Nick. But an “adverse camber” warning sign doesn’t cost bugger all after you have spent a small fortune, widening/redesigning a roundabout does it?

weeto:
making it very dangerous for trucks to negotiate at a reasonable speed

And there, ladies and gentlemen, we have the cause for the accident - another ■■■ driving too quickly.

an artic can have the trailer wheels in to the next lane.

So no different than it has been for the last 20 years then?

The roundabout doesn’t need an adverse camber warning. Any supposed professional truck driver would know that the camber usually changes on a roundabout and negotiate it accordingly. This supposed professional didn’t and paid the price. I have absolutely zero sympathy for anyone who tips a wagon over on a roundabout. It is entirely their own fault.

it must be great to be perfect…no chance of someones unstable or unsecurable load shifting,or once a couple of the gogo girls up the top deck panicked or lost their footing they knocked the rest sideways at the wrong moment? you might expect if they spent millions building a new roundabout that they could build it properly,with no need for either the camber or the warning sign… speed is no doubt to blame in the majority of accidents,but then again we left herding them to market along the road back a few years ago.mabey we should take a step backwards and all have someone walking in front of us with a bell and a lamp.if the roundabout wasn’t a bollox,then it shouldn’t be a problem,especially as its a well known hazard.and going round too slow can have an adverse effect also. how are you meant to rachet strap a load of porkers anyway? surely you cant get away with nailing them to the deck anymore?? :slight_smile:

Conor:

weeto:

And there, ladies and gentlemen, we have the cause for the accident - another ■■■ driving too quickly.

an artic can have the trailer wheels in to the next lane.

So no different than it has been for the last 20 years then?

The roundabout doesn’t need an adverse camber warning. Any supposed professional truck driver would know that the camber usually changes on a roundabout and negotiate it accordingly. This supposed professional didn’t and paid the price. I have absolutely zero sympathy for anyone who tips a wagon over on a roundabout. It is entirely their own fault.[/q

If you read the text properly don’t think the OP is implying you fly round the roundabout, reasonable speed means just that you wouldn’t expect to drive round a newly built roundabout at 1 mph so maybe 10 mph is a “reasonable speed”. More and more roundabouts seem to be being built with narrower entrances and exits making them harder for hgv’s to negotiate coupled with the car drivers who think overtaking on a roundabout is a safe manoeuvre will inevitably lead to more accidents

Conor:

weeto:

I would normally join you by saying something similar, but… I’ve been round the ‘new’ A59/A1237 rbt and it’s not pleasant. There are some nasty and unnecessary cambers on it, which, coupled with the narrow sharply angled entry and exits, made worse by having being made into 2 lanes, makes it not particularly easy to negotiate without going round it at a crawl. To be honest I preferred the old rbt - at least the approach and exit were on the flat with a reasonably wide entry and exit and no silly cambers.

In short it’s been badly designed and it will catch out other truckers I’ll guarantee it.

I like to straightline roundabouts when possible. A61 North Leeds is good for doing that. Timing got be right though.

That lorry is from Grasby’s of Hull, this isn’t the first time one of there’s has turned over when full of pigs.

grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/50-pi … story.html

Left hand down!:

Conor:

weeto:

I would normally join you by saying something similar, but… I’ve been round the ‘new’ A59/A1237 rbt and it’s not pleasant. There are some nasty and unnecessary cambers on it, which, coupled with the narrow sharply angled entry and exits, made worse by having being made into 2 lanes, makes it not particularly easy to negotiate without going round it at a crawl. To be honest I preferred the old rbt - at least the approach and exit were on the flat with a reasonably wide entry and exit and no silly cambers.

In short it’s been badly designed and it will catch out other truckers I’ll guarantee it.

Toatally agree with this post.
It’s only been a matter of time before a wagon went over howevere he does appear to have hit a Warburtons bread vehicle before he went over.
Therefore I don’t think he went to fast into the rundabout too fast and tipped over that way.
It’s a very poor design and you see cars struggling round it wandering from lane to lane.
It makes it very hard to judge when to go even in a car as cars appear to be heading odd to one side and then trurn at the last minute.
It also has sweeping left hand l;anes to hoin teh roundabout whcih people don’t seem to tyhink they need to give way as you would normally do.
I’ve had a couple of cars just sweep round in front of me when they have been joining the A1237 from the A59.
I suspect this is what may have happened here as the bread van is smashed in at the back.
How they can dig up the old road completely and install a new roundabout that isn’t level has a variety of cambers I’ll never know.
It cost millions of pounds and was built for the new park and ride on the A59.
So it’s supposedly designed for large buses but it’s just gash.
IMHO that it was rushed for the Tour De France and tehy just gave up and tarmaced it as it was instead of trying to work on the problems.

danalex84:
That lorry is from Grasby’s of Hull, this isn’t the first time one of there’s has turned over when full of pigs.

grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/50-pi … story.html

Regardless of the blame I don’t like seeing this sort of thing happening to a local firm. They’re well established and respected and I hope Grasbys can get over this which I’m sure they will.

Matt

The average livestock driver will run rings around the average general driver.

everyone makes mistakes, everyone.

stevieboy308:
The average livestock driver will run rings around the average general driver.

In view of the fact that this thread is about a livestock lorry turning over on a roundabout, you might want to reconsider your comments :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

One which worries me is the A329/ M329 North/Westbound just outside Bracknell. This was constructed about two or three years ago with an adverse camber and a large arc. Has this one seen any rollovers?

Contraflow:

nick2008:

+1

The one on the new stretch of the A63 coming out of Leeds was, so they removed the adverse negative camber because they had so many roll overs on it!