Dangerous Lorry Driver?

tachograph:

voodoo1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBQmiuZSRFU&list=PL50HnB_iNgL5EO8YEFkwJ5wr4yHtqzqYm

Or overreaction

Overreaction.

It may not have been the greatest overtake of all time but the cyclist never even came close to being in danger.

The cyclist should be made to have this sign on the back of his bike.

A lot of fuss about nothing in my opinion.

You obviously do not ride a bike or maybe you need your eyes tested.
If you think driving like that is acceptable you should not be on the road.

albion1971:

mickyblue:

K5Project:

It is no wonder there are accidents when you read some of the comments from so called professional’s.

As for the vids the word IMPATIENCE springs to mind.

Typical of a lot of today’s drivers.

Typical for most impatience cyclist’s who ignore red lights or use the pavement to avoid stop signs or cut down the left of stationary traffic to try to get to the lights before the car can set off gate swings both ways

But as you know, that’s the standard reply from he/she. Oh by the way, cyclists never do things like that. It’s always the “Drivers” that do things like that.

And what is your standard reply mickey? Do you have an opinion? I am stating my view that in the video clips both lorry drivers were too impatient and should not have overtaken when they did.

What is your view on the situation? If I thought the cyclists were wrong I would say but in this case they are clearly not.

Come on mickey…give an opinion instead of replying (everytime) with nothing worth reading.

I left mine in the video, but I shall do one here.

Cyclist is a prick. He overreacted due to recent events bless him. Cars were ok to go by him closer then the lorry did but due to it being a HGV, he cried.

Lorry had plenty of room. He even waited behind the queen and overtook in a large part of the road

albion1971:
You obviously do not ride a bike or maybe you need your eyes tested.
If you think driving like that is acceptable you should not be on the road.

You’re entitled to your opinion, but as far as I can see this is the none event of the week.

albion1971:

mickyblue:

K5Project:

It is no wonder there are accidents when you read some of the comments from so called professional’s.

As for the vids the word IMPATIENCE springs to mind.

Typical of a lot of today’s drivers.

Typical for most impatience cyclist’s who ignore red lights or use the pavement to avoid stop signs or cut down the left of stationary traffic to try to get to the lights before the car can set off gate swings both ways

But as you know, that’s the standard reply from he/she. Oh by the way, cyclists never do things like that. It’s always the “Drivers” that do things like that.

And what is your standard reply mickey? Do you have an opinion? I am stating my view that in the video clips both lorry drivers were too impatient and should not have overtaken when they did.

What is your view on the situation? If I thought the cyclists were wrong I would say but in this case they are clearly not.

Come on mickey…give an opinion instead of replying (everytime) with nothing worth reading.

If every driver followed your idea of waiting for the absolute perfect 100% risk free overtaking place,in the type of circumstances shown,every time they meet a yet another cyclist,you might as well just impose a total truck ban or a blanket 20 mph speed limit on all such urban roads,because they wouldn’t get enough work done during a day to make the job viable anyway.It’s obvious that the authorities are putting in bs artificial ‘pinch points’ to produce that situation in some cases while mixing trucks and cyclists where it isn’t safe such as the example shown in others.If the cyclist and you think the situation of the truck overtaking as and when it did was bad things would have been a lot worse if the truck had arrived and tried to overtake within the arch/tunnel system instead of on the approach road.

Which realistically,following your advice,would have meant the truck waiting behind the cyclist throughout the whole approach road and arch/tunnel system.If you then multiply that type of similar situation by every cyclist that the truck meets during the day it’s operator might as well closed down before going broke.As things stand if cyclists aren’t willing to leave the roads wherever and whenever possible,then it’s obvious that either a truck and bus ban is required.Or at least a 20 mph max limit in town on trucks and buses,possibly even cars too,to stop the need for large/any vehicles to overtake cyclists.Good luck with that idea. :unamused:

Having said all that the combination of parked cars,artificial traffic calming,and pedestrians and cyclists and other road users of all types,driving or acting accordingly in many cases,there’s already effectively a 20 mph limit in most parts of the urban areas of Greater London anyway if any driver has any sense.

I thought that was a bit dodgy. It’s not so much that the truck was too close, more why did he absolutely have to get past there? If he’d waited until everyone was round the corner, he’d have been delayed by, ooh, six seconds or so. The cyclist was riding very well, I thought: I can see why he wasn’t riding in the gutter through the roadworks.
As for those who say he should have slowed down: he’s trying to get somewhere too, just like everyone else on the road. Or would it be easier for everyone if he just stayed at home? Honestly … some of you lot are constantly bleating on and on about not being treated like professionals, yet the moment you’re asked to overtake a cyclist safely, you’re all up in arms about it and start banging on about how he shouldn’t be there. How about trying to understand why he’s doing what he’s doing and driving accordingly?

Albion 1971 ,sounds like you need some London driving experience .

I know that stretch of road very well and the place where he overtook is quite wide compared to under the dark bridge and along the stretch rhat takes you to the top of borough high st. Prehaps that was the drivers thought that there was safer.

mickyblue:
Pavement, again. Bloody Pavement!

You might be interested in the law. See no 64

I know the law about riding on pavements.

Might interest you to re read my post. I was replying with a quote taking the ■■■■ out curryfarts pavement idea.

Nice try

Dan Punchard:

Is 13 years of living and driving there enough for you? I am there on a regular basis even now.
So tell me why it is ok to be more impatient with cyclists in London than any where else?

mickyblue:
Might interest you to re read my post. I was replying with a quote taking the ■■■■ out curryfarts pavement idea.

I couldn’t work out if you were taking the ■■■■ or not. It would be good for a few more people to know the law though.

The Highway Code - Rules for cyclists (59 to 82) - Guidance - GOV.UK No 64 for those who missed it.

albion1971:
So tell me why it is ok to be more impatient with cyclists in London than any where else?

Was the cyclist at any time even close to being in danger ?

Whats a real shame is the cyclist does himself no credit, which is unfortunate as he showed a good grasp of adopting ‘primary’ and some decent cyclecraft.

The whole manouver was at best a non event and at worst a little fast for the cyclists liking.

No doubt the cyclist was salivating at the prospect of getting this nonsense on ■■■ tube.

Perhaps these head cams are adding to the dangers as some cyclists go out looking for trouble.

Mirrors would have helped the cyclists awareness of what was about to unfold, but why should cyclists carry this extra weight and safety feature when it doesn’t match the wiggins esk sports bike they are using. :unamused: (sure some cyclists have mirrors though)

The fact is that some cyclists have a different rule book than the rest of us and a few have no rules at all, we adapt our driving to accomodate for the small percentage of cyclists whos ego’s are righting cheques their flesh and bones can’t cash.

We are professionals and I for one do all I can to assist in a cyclists progress because thats what we share, we all want to make progress, a few seconds saved here or there is not worth risking the life of another human being.

Not that I’ve never been caught between a rock and hard place when overtaking a bike, but if it happens I brake and give way to the cyclist at all times. Ain’t I special :wink:

Cyclist V Trucker reality show a la Gladiators.

Fight!

We could bet on it & everything.

albion1971 wrote:

It’s not but personally in London I like to be clear of a cyclist as they dart and change lanes in front of you with no warning don’t obey basic traffic laws.

So you tell me Why is it more ok for cyclists in London to be more impatient then 90% of car drivers and failing to obey stop signs, traffic lights and have no common sense with traffic?

I will quote my self from the Cyclist primary WTF post as that apply here too people like you Albion are the cyclist extremists I’m on about

I’m not saying cyclist are satan nor am I saying other motorist are angels but I’m sick of picking up the paper or reading the news lets ban trucks from London as that’s the only logical thing to do rather then teach people how to behave around large vehicles. I personally see cyclist extremists like ramblers with byways we want this all to our self’s the big bad 4x4 are damaging the byways… council bans 4x4 byways go into disrepair and cost more to maintain as 4x4 drivers aren’t clipping trees back etc and the footpath need recovering more and more cause heavy foot traffic can be more damaging then a careful driven 4x4 then no one else to blame and it becomes apparent that foot traffic is just as damaging in large numbers as vehicles

which proved the point in that case that ramblers was just as if not more so damaging to the environment then the 4x4 same with bikes ban lorry’s you’ll still have accidents with cars or object then we’ll ban then too and London will just be cycle park no shops no people (as you hit them too)

because heaven forbid if anyone on this forum says anything slightly negative about bikes your on here picking fights with certain members about it what’s that 2 threads in a row you’ve gone after mickey for just agreeing with another persons comment? suggest you put away you cyclist the next messiah books and pull out a dictionary

FORUM noun (plural forums) 1a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:
we hope these pages act as a forum for debate

I.e you put your point across and address it with facts just cause you don’t agree doesn’t give you the right to personally attack/call out the person with out providing counter arguments

Silver_Surfer:
Cyclist V Trucker reality show a la Gladiators.

Fight!

We could bet on it & everything.

It would be great, bring back Ulrika Jonsson- she could drive the truck and Stan Collymore could ride the bike.

albion1971:

Dan Punchard:

Is 13 years of living and driving there enough for you? I am there on a regular basis even now.

May be you need 13 more,the mixer wasn’t impatient he past wide enough with enough speed ,safer than following until when? Then trying to overtake from the same speed ,get real .

Did everyone else get a compilation of 4 vidoes?

1st one no problem at all, the cemex truck was further away than the taxi and waited till the road widened. Notice how the cyclist said “They do anything to get past us” Sound familiar? :laughing:

2nd one The artic was way too close overtaking right near an island. I would have gone mental too if I was riding a bike

3rd one shows that some cyclists are really stupid, but the guy doing the filming was not one of them

4th one didn’t look too bad. Looked like the cyclist was looking for trouble, but the driver didn’t help the image of lorry drivers.

4th one is strange, truck gives cyclist loads of room, indicating to turn left the cyclist has a little go and truck driver goes off on one. The truck could only really sit there and allow the cyclist to pass, sure he could of hung back but he is looking to turn left and positioning his vehicle to show other road users what he intends to do.

I can see why the cyclist would be concerned but did he really think the truck was going to turn into him when the lights changed. Perhaps he has recently had this happen and was worried.

Also this cyclist earlier in the clip didn’t give a fellow cyclist much room after a close call with a taxi, should have adopted primary earlier on.
Mirrors on the bike would have helped with the taxi incident.

Truck driver did us no favours, a simple explanation would have been better though.

Just my opinion but cyclist instigated the whole drama based on his earlier mistakes and poor cyclecraft, thats no excuse for the bad language in front of a lady.

To be fair, if the driver knows he has the power to get around him and slow for the bend enough to get around safely and react if anything happens whilst taking the bend, then, realistically, what is the problem? The cyclist was too far out anyway and its not like the truck was an artic. He was only a little mixer. Overreaction I think to be honest.