Damaged Barn Doors

I delivered to a Tesco RDC last night and was allocated a bay on arrival, I parked up on the allocated bay and reported to the drivers reception only to be told ‘Sorry I thought you was a double decker, can you change to another bay’ I duly did as requested with a slight grumble as it was a tad tight, on my first attempt at getting on the ‘double deck’ bay I was very slightly off centre towards the drivers side, I thought it would probably have been okay where it was but repositioned it square to make sure, the second bay I got pretty much square on first time maybe slightly favouring the drivers side a smidgen but not enough to make me want to move it again and they tipped it where it was so it must of been okay, getting onto both bays seemed pretty standard, reversed back between the guides (neither wheels touching), stopped with a gentle bump however after after being tipped I pulled off the bay and noticed that both of the bottom doors were damaged, I hadn’t noticed the damage beforehand and I suppose I could of missed it as it is mostly hidden when the doors are closed however I am wondering if I had caused the damage and if so how, could putting a single deck trailer on a double deck bay (with ramps) cause the doors to get damaged? The other thing I noticed was that the bump stops on both sides of the second bay where both in a poor state, out of position and with chunks missing and the rubber strip at the bottom of the bay was hanging could this have resulted in the damage?

One of the damaged and out of line bump stops (looks worse than the photo suggests)

Door Damage

“It was like that when I picked it up Boss”.

Harry Monk:
“It was like that when I picked it up Boss”.

+1
Deny everything, even to utter the phrase ‘well it might have been when I…’, will drop you in it.

Unless your 100% sure you caused the damage (and someone may have seen you) and or there’s safety implications ones arse must remain covered at all times.

I can’t stress this enough but if in doubt cover your arse.

Oh and back on the bays gently, pulling off a couple of inches will also avoid harsh rubbing and back door damage.

It is their fault, I hope you swapped insurance details and didnt leave off site.
There may be cctv footage from inside the rdc, it will cost a lot to repair it and the down time, loss of work.

A professional will all ways back up tight
Pull out a couple of inches so no damage is done to the poor girl as your unloading :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

tonyb70:
A professional will all ways back up tight
Pull out a couple of inches so no damage is done to the poor girl as your unloading :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

:slight_smile:
Yep especially if the bumpers are worn, penetrating too deeply into the docking area can make it difficult to get the flaps up.

I’ve found putting a doughnut or two on acts as a buffer avoiding full entry.

One time at RDC club I proudly walked away from what I thought was a sweet docking performance only to have to return for a second go as my trailer was fitted with a soft dock system and was 6 inches away from the slot. Even the extra wide flaps wouldn’t allow a successful unload.

So always check your back-end before handing your keys in. This advice is also apt for swingers parties.

‘I hadn’t noticed the damage beforehand and I suppose I could of missed it as it is mostly hidden when the doors are closed’

So, you just set off without looking inside?

yourhavingalarf:
‘I hadn’t noticed the damage beforehand and I suppose I could of missed it as it is mostly hidden when the doors are closed’

So, you just set off without looking inside?

The trailer could of been sealed when he lifted it so unable to look inside.

Then break the seal, check your load, re-seal it and get going.

Load security jeopardised for a seal? Not me mate.

yourhavingalarf:

Most places that load and then seal the trailer will have secured the load once they have finished loading it.

mazzer:

yourhavingalarf:

Most places that load and then seal the trailer will have secured the load once they have finished loading it.

‘Most’ places…

I know exactly what’s loaded, how it’s loaded and whether or not it’s gonna stay upright for the journey. Cos if it falls over and it comes rolling outta the back doors when you arrive at the delivery point, you know who’s ■■■■ is gonna get kicked don’t you. I’ve re-sealed loads that involved retyping CMRs T1 T2 etc forms before.

Check your load, take pictures on yer phone of any new damage and cover yer ■■■ is what I’m saying.

yourhavingalarf:

mazzer:

yourhavingalarf:

‘Most’ places…

I know exactly what’s loaded, how it’s loaded and whether or not it’s gonna stay upright for the journey. Cos if it falls over and it comes rolling outta the back doors when you arrive at the delivery point, you know who’s ■■■■ is gonna get kicked don’t you. I’ve re-sealed loads that involved retyping CMRs T1 T2 etc forms before.

Check your load, take pictures on yer phone of any new damage and cover yer ■■■ is what I’m saying.

Are you agency?

Are you suggesting that full time drivers are exempt from checking their loads? I think not.

To sum up, I’d have opened the doors before I set off seal or no seal, checked my load (which surely is basic isn’t it?) I would have spotted any new damage and noted it down… just covering my backside, which ANY driver should be doing.

The OP isn’t sure if he’s caused damage, if he’d checked before he’d left, he’d be in no doubt.

Dipper_Dave:
I’ve found putting a doughnut or two on acts as a buffer avoiding full entry.

It also helps to touch the sides :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the OP would have noticed any exististing damage when he stopped short to open the doors

Damage like that would not escape you on a walk around. Hell, I would of thought the shunter would of picked it up if there was that amount of damage.

yourhavingalarf:

Well, it doesn’t quite work like that. Trailers are generally sealed by the consignor with their own numbered seal, the serial number of which is noted on the paperwork. You can’t just put your own seal on.

‘I’ve re-sealed loads that involved retyping CMRs T1 T2 etc forms before.’

From my earlier post.

yourhavingalarf:
‘I’ve re-sealed loads that involved retyping CMRs T1 T2 etc forms before.’

From my earlier post.

Don’t be so ridiculous. Trailers travelling on T forms are sealed by Customs, and the only way you would get a new T form issued would be if the seal was both broken and re-applied by Customs.

Is it school half-term or something?