Damaged Barn Doors

There was no requirement for a seal on a T form, no place on or for a seal no either as far as I can remember.

Retyping a T form would be a waste of time, it would need restamping by customs at point of issue and at every border crossed. A CMR would need a signature and stamp from the shipper and the person making out the CMR.

Although I wasn’t in the SAS, so maybe they had a course on that kind of thing, it makes sense as learning RDC waiting room etiquette is essential for ex SAS men.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Gentlemen…

We’re going off topic. Damaged barn doors, my view is if the driver had spotted the damage on collection then his arse would be covered.

S’all I’m saying.

I think the essential point is that if you pick up a trailer with a customer’s numbered seal on it, then it has to arrive at the destination with the same numbered seal intact.

I’ve picked up a fridge before and opened the offside door to have a quick look at the load (you can only make a judgement on the back two pallets tbh), got to my first drop, opened both doors and THEN noticed damage to the inside bottom of the nearside door. Goes with the territory tbh.

I am normally very thorough in my checks and I usually take quick before and after photos just to cover my back should any questions be asked however on this occasion as it was only a local run and I was running slightly late I thought I could get away with just a quick cursory check (lesson learned). The photo’s focus on the worst of the damage, from the exterior, closed door view it is far less obvious and I could of quite easily missed it when looking at everything as a whole.

I have noticed a lot of the trailers, especially the older ones, have similar damage to the bottom of doors on the hinge side, what is the likely cause of this damage? I had a look at the construction of the bays at the last couple of depots that I have visited but failed to find any obvious cause, nothing substantial around the shrouds which could catch the door edge and nothing at the back that could strike the doors before the trailer meets the bump stops.

I am not a seasoned pro’ driver, I am new to the career and still gaining experience, to mitigate my inexperience I try to minimise any mistakes by being extra cautious and if I do mess up the least I can do is learn from it - hence the question regarding the cause of the damage to the bottom of the doors; if I know what causes the damage I can take extra care to avoid it.

Harry Monk:
I think the essential point is that if you pick up a trailer with a customer’s numbered seal on it, then it has to arrive at the destination with the same numbered seal intact.

So if the load moves and either tips the lorry over or ends up at the destination with a trailer looking like isis have bombed it on route the customer will be to blame?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

bubsy06:

Harry Monk:

So if the load moves and either tips the lorry over or ends up at the destination with a trailer looking like isis have bombed it on route the customer will be to blame?

With the possible exception of hanging meat, I can’t visualise how a load shifting in a fridge trailer would tip a lorry over, but once again, if you collect a trailer with a numbered seal then it has to be delivered with that numbered seal intact. And so long as it is intact, then any shortages or damages will be the consignor’s responsibility. Sealed trailers are transported on a “contents and condition unknown” basis.

Years ago I collected a sealed trailer from the docks, no other staff there just a text instruction of it’s destination. First roundabout a pack of plywood went straight through the side of the curtains. Luckily I was only 200 yards from dock entrance and slowly dragged it back in. Phoned company I was doing the work for and had the usual irate unhelpful response because the transport manager had to come out of the Friday night pub session while looking to dump all blame on me. After unsealing the curtains turns out the loaders had put 2 pack one side and one the other and only put one strap over, no apology to me. I have never taken a sealed load out without checking inside since.
As for damaged barn doors the differing dock heights at RDC’s etc and the missing bumpers really do not help, take it slow, touch and then pull forward a few inches always does the trick for me.

sorry to doubt you, but i would have noticed that damage after opening the doors prior to backing on the bay…the bay itself has some severe damage to it anyway, but doesnt look as if it could have damaged the doors, as they sit back from the ramp area…i did notice that your not exactly in a straight line after you pulled off, maybe the damage was done then. your offside damage matches the damage on the curtain on the bay as well…if i suspected it was done on the bay, i would have gone to the office and requested a second opinion even if it risked a claim from your companies insurance.

Harry Monk:

yourhavingalarf:
‘I’ve re-sealed loads that involved retyping CMRs T1 T2 etc forms before.’

From my earlier post.

Don’t be so ridiculous. Trailers travelling on T forms are sealed by Customs, and the only way you would get a new T form issued would be if the seal was both broken and re-applied by Customs.

Is it school half-term or something?

That made me laugh Harry !!

truckyboy:
sorry to doubt you, but i would have noticed that damage after opening the doors prior to backing on the bay…the bay itself has some severe damage to it anyway, but doesnt look as if it could have damaged the doors, as they sit back from the ramp area…i did notice that your not exactly in a straight line after you pulled off, maybe the damage was done then. your offside damage matches the damage on the curtain on the bay as well…if i suspected it was done on the bay, i would have gone to the office and requested a second opinion even if it risked a claim from your companies insurance.

That’s okay I doubt myself at times :exclamation:

If I caused the damage to the doors it would of been more likely to have been done at the first bay because I got it pretty much square on first time at the second bay, it was tipped where I left it so I figure it must of been okay? The wheels on both sides of the trailer where inside the Banana guides and not touching them, the off side of the back end was away from the curtain to the right (damaged side) of the yellow bump stop and I wondered if this had allowed the trailer to travel further back and the door had caught on the bump stop itself - the bump stops, especially on that side where at a greater angle than the photo suggests. I didn’t think I was too far off on either bay TBH and certainly not enough to make me think that I had caused any damage but having said that, like you say, I would of thought I’d have spotted the damage before backing onto the bay - so I just don’t know. Lesson learned and I am now being much more careful when backing onto bays and now that I am driving regularly my reversing has improved no end so hopefully this together with making sure I do proper preshift checks will mean there is no repeat.

Yes Micky…unfortunately we all have to watch like a hawk for any damage to vehicles before we pull out of the yard…some drivers sneakily park up one they have damaged, and hope no one notices, then someone like me came along, never looked, and then got the blame for damaging the trailer someone else did. So as they say lesson learned…i look over every vehicle for signs of damage, and report it before i pull away…either in the yard, or when tipping/loading, at least i have peace of mind that it wasnt me…sometimes ■■■■ happens, and i own up to it, another golden rule, rather than let someone else take the blame…scratches are the norm, so not too bothered…and i always do a walk round check every morning…one never knows do they, and your the first point of contact to notice if something isnt right, hope you have an understanding boss…and good luck.