DAF

Just an apology for those over the last few months who have contacted me via phone ,messaging etc .I haven’t replied ,as I have other things to deal with and this site was not a priority :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: …I am back now ,and ready for the multitude of questions on the UKs best selling truck :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Why do the mirrors ■■■■?

Welcome back and I hope you have your other priorities sorted to satisfaction.
Good to have someone with common sense and knowledge on board!

Alright, serious question time. Are the CF’s supposed to have really heavy steering when manoeuvring or is it because it has super’s on the front? The CF’s I used to drive were really difficult to reverse because the steering was so heavy. I’ve not driven a truck like it since.

Hope everything’s alright Norb, here’s one for you.
Why does it take HTC at Oxford (Kidlington) 10 weeks to quote for a new 8wheeler? Even JCB got back to us within a month.
Boss is seriously ■■■■■■ off with their attitude and they messed us about with mot dates. So frustrating because HTC is so convenient for us and their spares dept are really helpful.

Radar19:
Alright, serious question time. Are the CF’s supposed to have really heavy steering when manoeuvring or is it because it has super’s on the front? The CF’s I used to drive were really difficult to reverse because the steering was so heavy. I’ve not driven a truck like it since.

You’re right there we had a CF with super singles on the floor it was heavier to steer than an 8wheeler.

Radar19:
Why do the mirrors ■■■■?

never seen them ■■■■ perse ,but short assed driver who cant adjust them is a problem :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .Apart from the rumour Scania had a decent set up …they are all poor ,even my alfas lol

Radar19:

On Euro 5 there has never really been a heavy steering issue …But saying that there was a problem with the pumps at one point so depending on the age of the vehicle would depend if it has had the issue …That issue was about 3 or 4 years ago…You may have a tight /seized U/J …Remove the U/J on top of the box and see if it is tight ,that is where my money would be

caledoniandream:
Welcome back and I hope you have your other priorities sorted to satisfaction.
Good to have someone with common sense and knowledge on board!

Cheers all is good ,I have been missing BKINGS ramblings :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

norb:

Radar19:
Why do the mirrors ■■■■?

never seen them ■■■■ perse ,but short assed driver who cant adjust them is a problem :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .Apart from the rumour Scania had a decent set up …they are all poor ,even my alfas lol

And a tall driver can’t use the top part of the mirror due to that 1" thick rubber seal on the window. :laughing:

norb:

Radar19:

On Euro 5 there has never really been a heavy steering issue …But saying that there was a problem with the pumps at one point so depending on the age of the vehicle would depend if it has had the issue …That issue was about 3 or 4 years ago…You may have a tight /seized U/J …Remove the U/J on top of the box and see if it is tight ,that is where my money would be

All 3 were like it so I’m not thinking its a fault, more like design flaw.

It may just be the supersingles,unless they have the steering pump issue …I guesss you don’t have a crane behind the cab ■■? They are euro 5 motors …■■? There is one or two things I know but I would need to know if euro 4/5 / 6

norb:
It may just be the supersingles,unless they have the steering pump issue …I guesss you don’t have a crane behind the cab ■■? They are euro 5 motors …■■? There is one or two things I know but I would need to know if euro 4/5 / 6

15 plates. No crane, Euro 6.

Welcome back Norb.

Yes our euro 6 CFs on normal tyres have heavier steering than one would expect at maneuvering speeds.
My last CF on a 57 plate (dunno which euro ■■■■■■■■ it was, probably none cos it went like buggery) i don’t recall being heavy, its the new ones.

One really annoying thing about the euro6’s is Arsetronic reverting to eco after a minute or so even if you’ve selected manual or normal auto, don’t suppose there’s any way for a mere alleged driver to lock the thing in manual is there, or is it dealer only reprogram?

Juddian we cant even change the as tronic programme …We can only install newer software when it is released …we cant change any parameters ,so your stuffed there …I think for the euro 6 the heavy steering is a charachteristic of the vehicle ,though it pains me to say it …but I will try and see what I can find out

I don’t dislike Dafs per say, they ride very smooth on the motorway but the heavy steering and the god awful window design (who came up with that nonsense!?) would put me off ever having one long term. At my last place they replaced 58 plate Volvo FM’s with those CF’s for some unknown reason as the FM’s were leagues above the Dafs in terms of manoeuvrability.

I’ve never driven an XF so they might be better.

Why are the new DAF’s so asthmatic between 35-50 mph. When you need to build up speed on a slip road to join a motorway etc. They just don’t have any pull at all.
The 2015/16/17 batch of motors both rigid and unit CF’s have to rate as the worst trucks I have ever driven.

Juddian:
Welcome back Norb.

Yes our euro 6 CFs on normal tyres have heavier steering than one would expect at maneuvering speeds.
My last CF on a 57 plate (dunno which euro ■■■■■■■■ it was, probably none cos it went like buggery) i don’t recall being heavy, its the new ones.

One really annoying thing about the euro6’s is Arsetronic reverting to eco after a minute or so even if you’ve selected manual or normal auto, don’t suppose there’s any way for a mere alleged driver to lock the thing in manual is there, or is it dealer only reprogram?

norb:
Juddian we cant even change the as tronic programme …We can only install newer software when it is released …we cant change any parameters ,so your stuffed there …I think for the euro 6 the heavy steering is a charachteristic of the vehicle ,though it pains me to say it …but I will try and see what I can find out

Hello, and welcome back Norb.
Of our Euro6 SSC on 65 plates one came without the programming that Juddian describes, (button on end of gear paddle for “normal”, “eco-off”, and “manual”) the others had it as normal. As described they would go from “manual” back to “normal” at will. Our dealer took this feature off them when we gave our boss an ear bashing over it. The dash display now comes up with a “A” for auto on start up, and after one push on button (normally) goes into “M” manual and stays there until button hit again. Much better arrangement.
We had another one delivered in Dec 2016, and again this came with the 3 option set-up. Again a visit to the local dealer had it switched into the 2 option set-up. As they come from the factory they are OK for main road and town work, but horrible for anything involving hills and bends when you need to have full control over the vehicle.
Leave them in “Auto” and they will attempt to change up a gear on up-slopes, fail to take the higher gear, and before getting back into the lower gear roll backwards! Truly horrible things. Worthy of a driving test fail, and if youre not ready for it, positively dangerous. Our dealer says of this "youre the only ones to complain about this". Really??
As an aside when one of the 65 plates had the software changed, it also lost all the “Eco” display from the dash. No display of the laughable “% Eco Performance”, and no need to turn off the equally silly “Tick Display” every time you start up. Another gain.
I do feel really frustrated about all of this because they are close to being good trucks. My last DAF had the 16 speed box and was a joy to drive, this newer 460 engine seems to pull better, but I feel Im fighting the heap of rubbish surrounding it to get the best from it. Vibration through steering wheel around 1100rpm. Even putting a different steering wheel on the ■■■■ things could make the driving experience much better: maybe it heeds a different spoke arrangement to stop the vibes, or a bit of a softer grip/covering. Just feels cheap n nasty as it is. If were holding onto a steering wheel for 8 to 10 hours a day something nicer is deserved isn`t it? And having had a quick wheel around in a 510 demo with the optional leather wheel that is really not any sort of improvement, just as uncomfortable, but a different colour.

Radar19:
I don’t dislike Dafs per say, they ride very smooth on the motorway but the heavy steering and the god awful window design (who came up with that nonsense!?) would put me off ever having one long term. At my last place they replaced 58 plate Volvo FM’s with those CF’s for some unknown reason as the FM’s were leagues above the Dafs in terms of manoeuvrability.

I’ve never driven an XF so they might be better.

Weve got 15 and 16 XFs. Sound the same as yours. We have 4 and 6 wheel units and all have the same feel to the steering. OK at speed, but when manoeuvring the auto gearbox holds onto a high gear, it seems to “dip the clutch” engine only ticks over and steering gets heavier. The exact opposite to what you want and need: at speed you hardly need any power assistance, at low speed when you do need it you get less. Not a problem on my older DAFs, but yet another annoying feature DAF have recently invented.

The MAN TGM and TGS have much better driving positions than the CF. The CF has always been a sod to get the seating right, the original Leyland Daf 75/85 CF cab was better. Especially on a Foden chassis. :laughing: