DAF

Thanks for the reply Norb, i was asking about knocking off eco resume more for the lads who have these euro6’s allocated where i work, well one particular driver in fact who tries to get the best out of any vehicle he drives and has mentioned (some others possibly wouldn’t be aware of what we’re talking about), my inquiries will be more urgent should i get issued with one permanently in due course, i have requested another make but we’ll see.

Franglais’ reply is interesting, and confess i’m a little envious because his boss actually listened (endangered species there :unamused: ), it’s probably true that other drivers/operators haven’t complained but i suspect that’s a combination of 1,too many drivers that know no different. 2, driver’s managers/TM’s that know everything/nothing and can’t possibly have made a specification error :wink: . 3, lack of communication between drivers (if they care anyway) and mechanics.

Talking of communication i don’t understand why drivers and mechanics don’t communicate a bit more, must be a bloody sight better for all when the driver can describe to the mech symptoms, instead of getting just a condensed third hand typed report via the service receptionist when the vehicle is dropped off, that way the mech doing the work has a good chance of going straight to any problem.

I get well looked after by most mechanics (sadly exceptions both behind the spanner and the steering wheel) at regular dealerships, and whenever possible steam clean the vehicle off just before taking it in, including the chassis, it’s simple courtesy and should be standard practice required by the vehicle owner/operator anyway and i’m disappointed at the state of some of the vehicles dropped off mechs are expected to work on, eg years of grease built up under the fifth wheel (he’s really going to spend time looking for that minor air leak somewhere in that lot) steering springs etc caked in filth, catwalks smothered in grease and the suzie lines a spiders web :unamused:

C’mon drivers, if you’ve got the use of a steam cleaner do your bit, it pays you back in spades, if you don’t have access to a steamer and have to use a commercial truckwash and it’s coming up to inspection time worth asking the lads at the wash to blow as much of the chassis off as they can, a bit of mutual respect goes a long way.

Juddian:
Thanks for the reply Norb, i was asking about knocking off eco resume more for the lads who have these euro6’s allocated where i work, well one particular driver in fact who tries to get the best out of any vehicle he drives and has mentioned (some others possibly wouldn’t be aware of what we’re talking about), my inquiries will be more urgent should i get issued with one permanently in due course, i have requested another make but we’ll see.

Franglais’ reply is interesting, and confess i’m a little envious because his boss actually listened (endangered species there :unamused: ), it’s probably true that other drivers/operators haven’t complained but i suspect that’s a combination of 1,too many drivers that know no different. 2, driver’s managers/TM’s that know everything/nothing and can’t possibly have made a specification error :wink: . 3, lack of communication between drivers (if they care anyway) and mechanics.

Talking of communication i don’t understand why drivers and mechanics don’t communicate a bit more, must be a bloody sight better for all when the driver can describe to the mech symptoms, instead of getting just a condensed third hand typed report via the service receptionist when the vehicle is dropped off, that way the mech doing the work has a good chance of going straight to any problem.

I get well looked after by most mechanics (sadly exceptions both behind the spanner and the steering wheel) at regular dealerships, and whenever possible steam clean the vehicle off just before taking it in, including the chassis, it’s simple courtesy and should be standard practice required by the vehicle owner/operator anyway and i’m disappointed at the state of some of the vehicles dropped off mechs are expected to work on, eg years of grease built up under the fifth wheel (he’s really going to spend time looking for that minor air leak somewhere in that lot) steering springs etc caked in filth, catwalks smothered in grease and the suzie lines a spiders web :unamused:

C’mon drivers, if you’ve got the use of a steam cleaner do your bit, it pays you back in spades, if you don’t have access to a steamer and have to use a commercial truckwash and it’s coming up to inspection time worth asking the lads at the wash to blow as much of the chassis off as they can, a bit of mutual respect goes a long way.

Pretty much all correct there Juddian.
The mechanics and service reception at our dealership are good lads and lasses. With any of our more “interesting” complaints the receptionist has called the workshop foreman out to discuss the “fault” with us. Sometimes (too often) he has said "Yeah, we know about that, but its out of our hands". Good people trying to do a good job. The Sales Manager there is another case entirely. I could launch off on one here about vehicle specs, and what this Dealership were/are offering, etc etc, but the fact we now have trucks on order from a different maker should be enough of a "heads up" to this particular individual. And youre right Juddian that its good to have a boss who listens. He doesnt always agree with what he hears, of course, but he does take what we say seriously.

You may juddain and franglais find it is how the vehicles are ordered …Certain customers have the fleet spec software ,so you are stuck I auto mode only …When like franglais says they got it changed , they dealer will have to go to DAF who will change the vehicles ID card which is important as otherwise any future updates would put it back to how it was :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: …There is various software options when the vehicle is ordered.which can generally be changed afterwards ,though we have to go to DAF who will change the software for that particular chassis which we will then download and reprogramme the system which is safer in the long run as there are some idiots in the network who you can barely trust to know what 1 plus 1 is …

norb:
You may juddain and franglais find it is how the vehicles are ordered …Certain customers have the fleet spec software ,so you are stuck I auto mode only …When like franglais says they got it changed , they dealer will have to go to DAF who will change the vehicles ID card which is important as otherwise any future updates would put it back to how it was :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: …There is various software options when the vehicle is ordered.which can generally be changed afterwards ,though we have to go to DAF who will change the software for that particular chassis which we will then download and reprogramme the system which is safer in the long run as there are some idiots in the network who you can barely trust to know what 1 plus 1 is …

One of ours that had the “revert to eco” lifted, later went in for a service and came out with that programme re-installed. It had to go in the following week, to be put back into the desired format. So, your post explains that nicely, thanks.

norb:

We have similar issues with our MAN units. They were spec’d with the bog standard fleet option which means that the driver cannot switch to full manual mode - all he can do is temporarily over-ride the autobox and force it to change up/down for 20 seconds or so. After that the computer takes control and full auto mode is resumed. At least our rigids can be switched to Manual (although it reverts to Auto next time the ignition is switched off).