Which would you prefer
Daf XF 480 or 530
Or
Man TGX 470 or 510
and why?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

They’re both equally ■■■■ :laughing:

Probably the MAN because it has 6 levels of seat warmer :laughing:

Daf for me been on my own for 18 years and in this time I have only ever owned three lorries all have been Daf.The first one cost me 7k and got me going kept it for about 2.5 years then bought a 54 plate off hanbury riverside when it was about 14 months old with about 120000km on it that lorry made me I sold that for 7.5 k in March 13 when I bought my present Daf brand new it had 1.2 million km on it when I sold it.I only got rid of it as euro six was about to come in and with all the bad press at the time I did not won’t one of them so I bought one of the last euro 5’s.My present Daf has over a million km,s on it and has been even better than the last one again it is now worth only about 7.5k but it is worth a lot more to me.I must add the main Daf dealer has looked after the last two for me and they have been first class.I should be changing it but it is such a good lorry I do not won’t to let it go at the present time I am not sure what way to go I have just turned 58 do I buy one more lorry or run this one into the ground and do a runner with the deposit money I have for a new one only time will tell lol

Not a world of difference between them.

Daf you can still have a proper gearbox, on the other hand if you are ordering an auto make sure your dealer knows how to, and is prepared to, program out that frustrating default-to-eco setting on the box, if unable/unwilling to comply that alone would rule the Daf out for me.

MAN auto only so make sure you get a profi version so you still have manual control when needed, some fleet spec have no manual input at all, frustrating wouldn’t begin to describe, should be some good deals to be had on the outgoing model if that would be of interest, suggest full light package including led option for headlights on new model, standard headlights on outgoing model arn’t up to much so make sure you spec the full light package to give you some fog lights as additional light source.

MAN exhaust brake isn’t wondrous so consider additional retarder option, Daf should have its own version of Jake engine brake already so no extra retardation necessary.

I’d base my choice as much on the standard of and helpfulness of the dealer/workshops who are to maintain it.

Juddian:

Daf you can still have a proper gearbox, on the other hand if you are ordering an auto make sure your dealer knows how to, and is prepared to, program out that frustrating default-to-eco setting on the box, if unable/unwilling to comply that alone would rule the Daf out for me.

MAN auto only so make sure you get a profi version so you still have manual control when needed, some fleet spec have no manual input at all, frustrating wouldn’t begin to describe, should be some good deals to be had on the outgoing model if that would be of interest, suggest full light package including led option for headlights on new model, standard headlights on outgoing model arn’t up to much so make sure you spec the full light package to give you some fog lights as additional light source.

MAN exhaust brake isn’t wondrous so consider additional retarder option, Daf should have its own version of Jake engine brake already so no extra retardation necessary.

I’d base my choice as much on the standard of and helpfulness of the dealer/workshops who are to maintain it.

DAF just get the standard useless exhaust brake and the dealers are apparently not allowed to program out the eco setting, even if you offer them money. We tried with ours, but nope. That and the hopeless auto gearbox were the primary reasons why we got rid of our 2. Horrible to drive at full weight over hilly terrain with the gearbox constantly putting you in 12th gear at the bottom of steep climbs.

Unless the DAF had a stick I think I’d opt for the MAN with the Profi box personally; the only caveat being that it were not for use on twisty rural roads as the cab is too well cushioned and suffers a lot of roll on the bends.

Mick Bracewell:

Juddian:

DAF just get the standard useless exhaust brake and the dealers are apparently not allowed to program out the eco setting, even if you offer them money. We tried with ours, but nope. That and the hopeless auto gearbox were the primary reasons why we got rid of our 2. Horrible to drive at full weight over hilly terrain with the gearbox constantly putting you in 12th gear at the bottom of steep climbs.

Unless the DAF had a stick I think I’d opt for the MAN with the Profi box personally; the only caveat being that it were not for use on twisty rural roads as the cab is too well cushioned and suffers a lot of roll on the bends.

Also on My 18 TGXXL I can turn eco roll off [emoji6]

Sent from my truck

I wonder if the driver can still switch off eco roll etc on the new model, would a 470/510 be the new model or are they available in the outgoing one too, i’m not that clued up on 'em.

Juddian:
I wonder if the driver can still switch off eco roll etc on the new model, would a 470/510 be the new model or are they available in the outgoing one too, i’m not that clued up on 'em.

Our latest 3 Nov 2019 are 470 in the old shape but Traxon boxed

Sent from my truck

blue estate:

Juddian:

Our latest 3 Nov 2019 are 470 in the old shape but Traxon boxed

Sent from my truck

Thanks for that, be interesting to see how much Scanny influence there is in the new one, not so much interior aesthetics but i kinda liked MAN’s somewhat old fashioned view of keeping a certain amount of things still under the driver’s control.

Juddian:

No. You can’t, had 2 on demo and the dealer told me that you can’t turn it off anymore.

lizard:

Juddian:

No. You can’t, had 2 on demo and the dealer told me that you can’t turn it off anymore.

Bugger, my question answered.
But, did you check for yourself on the menu cos i know they don’t want you doing that on demos cos they want the fuel figures to be as rosy as possible and discourage you switching eco things off.
Did you still have manual control available on the gearbox?

Juddian:

lizard:

Juddian:

But, did you check for yourself on the menu cos i know they don’t want you doing that on demos cos they want the fuel figures to be as rosy as possible and discourage you switching eco things off.

It was in a sub menu and it was blacked out.
The dealer brought it up, before I could mention it, he said its not a standard option anymore, he said you can have it mapped to include it, but was very reluctant to go into the £0000 figure price of having it.

blue estate:

Mick Bracewell:

Juddian:

Also on My 18 TGXXL I can turn eco roll off [emoji6]

Sent from my truck

That’s not what we’re talking about. Eco roll is something else. The ‘eco’ gearbox setting on the DAF is what the gearbox defaults to after approx 10 seconds of you manually changing it to M. It’s really bloody annoying when you want to hold a gear or have manual control for a tight bend on a steep hill, for example. Letting the truck do it just results in it getting confused and you coming to a halt mid corner, which is not fun at the best of times and certainly not with a loaded tanker on anything other than a bone dry surface.

lizard:

Juddian:

lizard:

Juddian:

It was in a sub menu and it was blacked out.
The dealer brought it up, before I could mention it, he said its not a standard option anymore, he said you can have it mapped to include it, but was very reluctant to go into the £0000 figure price of having it.

The Scania influence is strong in this one Obiwan, pity that.
Thanks for that info.

Juddian:
Daf should have its own version of Jake engine brake already so no extra retardation necessary.

Poverty spec ones don’t - you hit the lever, it makes the same noise but you don’t actually seem to slow down at all. Look for one that has descent speed control as an option and then it will.

There is not an issue with a dealer switching off eco mode ,the main criteria is that someone from the company requesting it ,giver the authority ,not a driver just wanting it switched cause it is a pain ,If the company who own run it want it left on ,then it is left on …DAF use a jake brake it isn;t a cheap or whatever version …What DAF prefer is to how to put it ,tune it to what they think is best …So the more efficent it is the more noise it makes ,So DAF have limited it;s power to keep the noise down,and keep the comfort

MAN over the Daf’t every time, the daf is the most over rated lorry out there, you see them because they are cheap. I have driven 2016, 2018, 2019, and the latest is 480hp on a 70 reg. The main problem is how the software package is written, in Eco you can feel the throttle being ‘feathered’ all the time, it might as well say 280hp on the door, non-eco not much better, utter garbage.
As mentioned the auto box dropping back to auto from manual after a short period of time, seconds not minutes… I run south (at night) just after the M62 on the M1 to junction 23a, on some of the steeper climbs running a 19/20t payload it can drop to sub 40mph without intervention, as an example a Volvo fh4 500hp on the same run in auto, in eco mode, it never drops below 50mph, no stress at all too the lorry or driver. The daf just leaves me hating it.
When you think where they are designed and tested it sort of makes sense, a flat country…
Cab very old design now, awful forward vision, ventilation that aims at the bunk not the driver, the cab temp appears to rise and fall all the time. Steering adjustment never seems to be comfortable, only one armrest (maybe a spec thing) one speed intermittent wiper control, in 2020…!! To connect a phone you need to go through two separate functions, 1st the radio, then the truck…why ■■
Buy the MAN or at least demo/rent one of each before you spend your hard earned :wink:

Kwikfit:
MAN over the Daf’t every time, the daf is the most over rated lorry out there, you see them because they are cheap. I have driven 2016, 2018, 2019, and the latest is 480hp on a 70 reg. The main problem is how the software package is written, in Eco you can feel the throttle being ‘feathered’ all the time, it might as well say 280hp on the door, non-eco not much better, utter garbage.
As mentioned the auto box dropping back to auto from manual after a short period of time, seconds not minutes… I run south (at night) just after the M62 on the M1 to junction 23a, on some of the steeper climbs running a 19/20t payload it can drop to sub 40mph without intervention, as an example a Volvo fh4 500hp on the same run in auto, in eco mode, it never drops below 50mph, no stress at all too the lorry or driver. The daf just leaves me hating it.
When you think where they are designed and tested it sort of makes sense, a flat country…
Cab very old design now, awful forward vision, ventilation that aims at the bunk not the driver, the cab temp appears to rise and fall all the time. Steering adjustment never seems to be comfortable, only one armrest (maybe a spec thing) one speed intermittent wiper control, in 2020…!! To connect a phone you need to go through two separate functions, 1st the radio, then the truck…why ■■
Buy the MAN or at least demo/rent one of each before you spend your hard earned :wink:

The DAF 95 or XF or whatever it was called 10-15+ years ago was a good truck. Even the CF as well. Drive well, ride well, steer well, pull okay and the XF bunk being about 10ft thick is renowned in truck driver circles for being the best truck bunk in Europe. The ZF 16 speed manual box did the job fairly well. Then it all went to ■■■■ overnight when they binned the manual box and put in that utter heap of ■■■■ AStronic auto box and DAFs previously good reputation (ignoring the head gaskets going pop every month) ended right there and it will never recover until they get rid of that box.

I agree with you about the cold feed vents. You can only have hot blowing on your face, not cold. Great job DAF when you’ve just sweated your ■■■■■■■■ off strapping a load or pallet-trucking a delivery in the trailer and you need some cold air to cool down :unamused: . Also agree about the steering adjustment, also the single armrest!

The intermittent wipe is some 5000 IQ science though. You actually have an infinite number of speeds available as you set them by flicking the stalk up and back again, however there is some wizardry to it then I still haven’t managed to fully figure out.

norb:
There is not an issue with a dealer switching off eco mode ,the main criteria is that someone from the company requesting it ,giver the authority ,not a driver just wanting it switched cause it is a pain ,If the company who own run it want it left on ,then it is left on …DAF use a jake brake it isn;t a cheap or whatever version …What DAF prefer is to how to put it ,tune it to what they think is best …So the more efficent it is the more noise it makes ,So DAF have limited it;s power to keep the noise down,and keep the comfort

The engine brake on my XF 106 460 is very good it must be a Jacobs design ? It’s better than the jake on my Ism 11 or Nte 320 ,can the warning be turned off that it’s been left on and the too high gear for setting off too ?

Kwikfit:

Just turn off wipers and wait until you want them to wipe again, turn back on to intermittent again to set time.