DAF XF or MAN TGX & Why?

I recently gave up a 69 plate XFSSC 480 to become a TM. I got it brand new and it was only used for day runs!!!

I found the Traxon box no better than the old ZF box. It was still slow, but not as slow. I am led to believe the dealer can tweak it, but I haven’t had it confirmed. As I was waiting for it, I got a 530 demo for a week, and that was a lot better. Some of you will have seen it out and about. It is red, and has the plate 44 DAF. It has everything in it.

It has the usual levels of comfort that you would come to expect, however what ■■■■■■ me off, was the fact mine came with an FM radio, and no DAB. DAB should no longer be an option when your spending over £80k. The sat nav was as about as much use as second hand toilet paper, (Didn’t matter to me, as I did the same run weekly.) and the bluetooth had a tendency to disconnect without warning. When dropping the sunblind down, there was an open spot in the top right of the screen.

On the positive side, the adblue usage was minimal, and I could go 2 weeks without filling up, doing 2200kms per week. The tank is behind the side panel on the passenger side, on the same side as the fuel tank. Fuel returns were good. I averaged 10.6, but that could be due to the fact we never ran heavy. Mine was better than the 510 we had.

If I went back to driving, would I have another? All day long, providing DAF changed the faults I listed above.

Ken.

big al st:

Kwikfit:
MAN over the Daf’t every time, the daf is the most over rated lorry out there, you see them because they are cheap. I have driven 2016, 2018, 2019, and the latest is 480hp on a 70 reg. The main problem is how the software package is written, in Eco you can feel the throttle being ‘feathered’ all the time, it might as well say 280hp on the door, non-eco not much better, utter garbage.
As mentioned the auto box dropping back to auto from manual after a short period of time, seconds not minutes… I run south (at night) just after the M62 on the M1 to junction 23a, on some of the steeper climbs running a 19/20t payload it can drop to sub 40mph without intervention, as an example a Volvo fh4 500hp on the same run in auto, in eco mode, it never drops below 50mph, no stress at all too the lorry or driver. The daf just leaves me hating it.
When you think where they are designed and tested it sort of makes sense, a flat country…
Cab very old design now, awful forward vision, ventilation that aims at the bunk not the driver, the cab temp appears to rise and fall all the time. Steering adjustment never seems to be comfortable, only one armrest (maybe a spec thing) one speed intermittent wiper control, in 2020…!! To connect a phone you need to go through two separate functions, 1st the radio, then the truck…why ■■
Buy the MAN or at least demo/rent one of each before you spend your hard earned :wink:

Just turn off wipers and wait until you want them to wipe again, turn back on to intermittent again to set time.

That just turns them back on at the previous interval.

Mick Bracewell:

big al st:

Kwikfit:
MAN over the Daf’t every time, the daf is the most over rated lorry out there, you see them because they are cheap. I have driven 2016, 2018, 2019, and the latest is 480hp on a 70 reg. The main problem is how the software package is written, in Eco you can feel the throttle being ‘feathered’ all the time, it might as well say 280hp on the door, non-eco not much better, utter garbage.
As mentioned the auto box dropping back to auto from manual after a short period of time, seconds not minutes… I run south (at night) just after the M62 on the M1 to junction 23a, on some of the steeper climbs running a 19/20t payload it can drop to sub 40mph without intervention, as an example a Volvo fh4 500hp on the same run in auto, in eco mode, it never drops below 50mph, no stress at all too the lorry or driver. The daf just leaves me hating it.
When you think where they are designed and tested it sort of makes sense, a flat country…
Cab very old design now, awful forward vision, ventilation that aims at the bunk not the driver, the cab temp appears to rise and fall all the time. Steering adjustment never seems to be comfortable, only one armrest (maybe a spec thing) one speed intermittent wiper control, in 2020…!! To connect a phone you need to go through two separate functions, 1st the radio, then the truck…why ■■
Buy the MAN or at least demo/rent one of each before you spend your hard earned :wink:

Just turn off wipers and wait until you want them to wipe again, turn back on to intermittent again to set time.

Turn on intermittent. It comes on with a long delay.
If the delay is too long, switch from intermittent to continuous wipe and straight back to intermittent. The shorter delay is now set.
As Norb said above, the “revert to Eco” can be programmed out by the dealer. Quick, no cost. But obviously the person owning the truck and paying the fuel bill will have to request it.

I had to drive our 19 plate MAN tgx 500 on Friday which has the traxton (?) ‘box in it. I’ve driven loads of arsechronic ‘boxed versions which have always been crap! The new ‘box is definitely better for slow manoeuvres but still not great. I once had a 12 plate Volvo for a brief spell and that was great in comparison.
Still glad I have got a 16 speed comfortshift manual in mine.
Perfect gear selections every time [emoji4]

I have read a lot of replies on both trucks and a lot of them knock the gearbox.I have only driven a auto box for about 5 miles once about 4 years ago when I had a go in a mates truck in had the old as tronic in it I put my foot down to get going on a rounderbout nothing happened until a car was nearly on me then it went to say the least I was not too impressed, having said that a lot of people I know drive Daf autos and they would never go back to a manual.To me the problem on here seems to be the gearbox if that’s the case get a manual one then the problem is solved.A lot of people knock DAF’S I know the scania build quality is better and the volvo I shift is the one to have but for value for money I think it’s hard to beat the Daf it has a really good cab to live in all week good size outside lockers good mpg good dealer network and Daf aid can not be beaten if ever you need it the last time I needed it was about 9 years ago just south of Newark when the idler pulley went but again it had done over a million km’s and they fixed it on the side of the road

Franglais:

Mick Bracewell:

big al st:

Kwikfit:

If the delay is too long, switch from intermittent to continuous wipe and straight back to intermittent. The shorter delay is now set.
As Norb said above, the “revert to Eco” can be programmed out by the dealer. Quick, no cost. But obviously the person owning the truck and paying the fuel bill will have to request it.

A quick one on the wipers Franglais …You can set them on intermittant up to 10 seconds ,When you switch them off ,say put them on after 1 sec they will wipe every swc .do it after 5 then they wipe every 5 ,so any figure up to 10 …So the length off time they are off before puttng them on is the intermittant wipe time

Punchy Dan:

norb:
There is not an issue with a dealer switching off eco mode ,the main criteria is that someone from the company requesting it ,giver the authority ,not a driver just wanting it switched cause it is a pain ,If the company who own run it want it left on ,then it is left on …DAF use a jake brake it isn;t a cheap or whatever version …What DAF prefer is to how to put it ,tune it to what they think is best …So the more efficent it is the more noise it makes ,So DAF have limited it;s power to keep the noise down,and keep the comfort

The engine brake on my XF 106 460 is very good it must be a Jacobs design ? It’s better than the jake on my Ism 11 or Nte 320 ,can the warning be turned off that it’s been left on and the too high gear for setting off too ?

It is jake who design them for DAF …For the too high a gear it is just a switch on the N/S o f the gearbox so just unplug it .I am not sure which way round it works ,but it the warning is permanent when disconnected ,then just cut the plug off and join the wires …I don’t think you can switch off the been left on warning ,i guess you mean the jake ■■..The computers get upset as they see a signal to accelerate ie foot on pedal and a brake signal if on ,it doesn’t make sense to the ecu that you would want to accelerate and brake at the same time lol

Thank you Norb I’ll do that :smiley:

norb:

Franglais:

Mick Bracewell:

big al st:

Kwikfit:

A quick one on the wipers Franglais …You can set them on intermittant up to 10 seconds ,When you switch them off ,say put them on after 1 sec they will wipe every swc .do it after 5 then they wipe every 5 ,so any figure up to 10 …So the length off time they are off before puttng them on is the intermittant wipe time

Yep. That works the same.
From intermittent position switching momentarily onto off or continuous will set the delay.

Norb:
From intermittent position switching momentarily onto off or continuous will set the delay.

Are you sure about this Norb? On our XF they just go back to the previous set delay. They seem to have a mind of their own on ours :open_mouth: .

Mick Bracewell:

Norb:

Are you sure about this Norb? On our XF they just go back to the previous set delay. They seem to have a mind of their own on ours :open_mouth: .

20 odd years on the product,lol so yes …It is a thing i generally show the apprentices when they start as an introduction to the brand …So if you have the wipers on ,switch off count to say 5 put them on and you should have a 5 sec intermittant wipe .the handbook probably explains it better. I will admit i donot know if they have a default ie after each ignition cycle …So they may have a default of say 3 sec …Not something i have ever thought about as i am not driving them like yourself …So a good point which i will have to check out monday lol,each day is a school day lol

Mick Bracewell:

Norb:

I will post the page from the handbook ,there is a default …

So if you have it on intermittent already, but then it starts raining harder, but not enough to warrant continuous wipe, what chicanery do you do with the stalk to reduce the delay between the wipes?

I have another problem which I will message about directly .

Mick Bracewell:
So if you have it on intermittent already, but then it starts raining harder, but not enough to warrant continuous wipe, what chicanery do you do with the stalk to reduce the delay between the wipes?

Wait for a sweep, turn them off, return to intermittent when you’d like the next sweep?