DAF Trucks .

In an earlier post I asked for replies regarding reliable trucks , Iam surprised at the poor comments regarding DAF trucks . Yet this make is a top seller in this country and I notice some operaters moving from other makes over to DAF , your comments etc would be welcome .

I suppose the more trucks they sell, the more problems they will get too. I have had a problematic DAF CF before. It was back to the dealer 3 times in its first four months. First one being for the fuse box going on fire due to some wires chaffing on metalwork. 2nd one was for the EBS control module giving up the ghost. The part had to be sent from Eindhoven as it was a part they had never seen failing before, therefore didn’t keep the part in stock. And the last one was the alternator packed up. These are things you might expect to happen throughout the life of the truck, not in the first 4 months. Funny thing was, it ran completely perfect and fault free after its initial problems. Probably just one of those friday afternoon trucks!!! :smiley:

They are cheap & that’s why they sell loads.
Conway Bailey in Cornwall supposedly have a complimentary vehicle on their fleet at all times because there is always at least 1 in dafs workshops. ( not being serviced )
I had a 410 for a while , it was a dog of a motor. Unreliable ( fuel system usually ) always knocked on front axle, cold in winter , hot in summer but on the + side it had a comfy seat , went like Billy o, & was good on fuel :-s

We got 8 wheeler daf wagon and drag auto, Heap of ■■■■■■ Terrible thing to drive, glad i got the volvo!!

I was talking to a guy with a 105 sc and hey said they had terrible problems with chaffing wires and wires stretching and snapping .
Even the Daf mechanic told him after 2 yrs he would be begging for his old Actros back !
Hardly encouraging

Fallmonk:
I was talking to a guy with a 105 sc and hey said they had terrible problems with chaffing wires and wires stretching and snapping .
Even the Daf mechanic told him after 2 yrs he would be begging for his old Actros back !
Hardly encouraging

I was begging for my EC11 back after 2 days with a DAF!!! :laughing:

well i love mine and the best bunk iv ever slept in.

If it ain’t Dutch it ain’t much! :laughing:

Liked my daf xf when I had one and it wasnt in the workshop until our boss got fed up with lack of customer care and switched to stralis active space cabs, best move he made although we didnt think so at the time. Iveco yes iveco are proving now to be more reliable in 1st year and half as the daf’s ever were. !! Also when we’ve had minor and only minor problems they have been put right without cost even the sunroof broken by the driver was done free of charge! Took a few weeks to get used to the stralis and cheapness but worth the wait IMO. Still waiting for the proper switch to Volvo or Scania tho. Lol

Much cheaper but can be problematic, our 460’s have regular water problems and have started to eat turbos, how much this is influenced by the fashion for much higher mileage oil changes i don’t know…i don’t recall ever hearing of a turbo failure (or any other) on ■■■■■■■■ we ran for years but were serviced very regularly, but thats an argument for another thread.

From a drivers point of view i like the 460CF with a manual box, proper drivers truck, handles well chuckable goes like hell and always in the right gear at the right moment with no interminable delay whilst Satans auto box decides ponderously what to do…the auto option destroys a basically decent if cheap truck.
Economical too considering how much quicker they cover the ground than our other all auto premium mixed fleet.

Downsides, who the hell decided on the layout of the switchgear, and who decided to buy the whole interior including the switches from poundland, the switches are all but invisible at night, unless you drive them regularly you need to keep a torch handy to see what you are doing, the interior lights are no better than lit torches in a castle in the dark ages.

The other real problem,as with many trucks now, the driver has almost no control of the tag axle, that should have been fitted with a speed related override to enable it to be lifted completely when loaded, not just a half hearted air dump, to enable some traction on poor conditions, and when tight turning fully loaded the tag wheel and tyre go to odd angles as the tyre tries not to get ripped from the rim, unecessary strain on everything for the sake of an override.
Heavy truck too, and too much engine vibration throught the cab.

Would i buy one?..if i got the right bargain with a manual 460 then yes, satans box which is no better in MAN or Iveco i wouldn’t buy no matter how cheap.

The last daf i had was an 04 plate but never had problems with it.I know the auto is a load of ■■■■.Best auto i found is the volvo box with renault software in the premium

My daf has had a few niggles mostly loomage and adblue but its never failed to get me to a drop or home. i wouldn’t say its poorly built id just say the parts are very substandard take the sidelights they all need replaced because the factory ones let in rain water. Come on - in development and testing you find that sort of stuff out and make it right. The bumper paint is porous paint, why? why does the adblue filter clog so badly, why does the nearside headlight blow so much.

Why does everything rust!!!

Like i said a few niggles :laughing:

I had an 11plate cf auto last week and thought it was great: I didn’t have a problem getting comfortable perhaps it’s because there’s more room for my left foot or have the seats improved?
The slowness of the box doesn’t bother me as I’ve driven various dumptrucks worse than that.
They could make the quarterlights open like Leyland did and improve the sunvisors.

Hi,
I had to move from a Scania to a Daf and what a pile of junk it is even though its on a 08 plate. :frowning:
Crap mirrors,old fashioned quarter-light windows, a brake pedal from a Scammel, cab rattles and bumps,cold in the winter…the list is endless.
Its Scania every time for me.Yes its bit more expensive but you do get the quality.

Rant over! :slight_smile:

Rich The Stag:
Hi,
I had to move from a Scania to a Daf and what a pile of junk it is even though its on a 08 plate. :frowning:
Crap mirrors,old fashioned quarter-light windows, a brake pedal from a Scammel, cab rattles and bumps,cold in the winter…the list is endless.
Its Scania every time for me.Yes its bit more expensive but you do get the quality.

Rant over! :slight_smile:

Brake pedal does seem like it’s come from the British Leyland parts bin but it’s great if you have muddy boots on.

damoq:

Fallmonk:
Hardly encouraging

I was begging for my EC11 back after 2 days with a DAF!!! :laughing:

Strange boy :open_mouth:

I am a scania fan if you wanna put it that way but i do think the cab should be deeper like the xf and get a proper bunk in there rather than having to fold bits of the bed out.The designer clearly has no idea,who would want to pratt about with a bed after 15 hours!?

Bud143:
I am a scania fan if you wanna put it that way but i do think the cab should be deeper like the xf and get a proper bunk in there rather than having to fold bits of the bed out.The designer clearly has no idea,who would want to pratt about with a bed after 15 hours!?

I think the clear difference between them is that the xf is the flagship where the cf is more fleet spec.

Because the painted front bumpers get covered in rust and look minging after about 6 months. :unamused:

Silver_Surfer:
Because the painted front bumpers get covered in rust and look minging after about 6 months. :unamused:

i know its terrible and a really bad advert for them, strange that companies seem to accept it. if i had bought one it would be sent back to be repainted. :open_mouth: